Popular Tags: [View All]
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired the Heroica sets, and like many adult gamers not trying to play this with kids, found them overly simplistic. However, I was and am captivated by the idea of lego dungeon crawling, so over a few days' holiday last week with some gamer friends, we drew up these rules. They have varying degrees of playtesting, so watch out! Some aspects of these rules are better than others.

The aim of the rules was to develop a game with enough meaningful decisions and strategy to keep an adult gamer interested, while sticking as much as possible to the spirit of Heroica as intended by Lego. As a result there are no new stats to remember, and we deliberately avoided trying to build in any record keeping or game state memory apart from tracking player hitpoints and gold, which the game is already set up for. That means no monster hitpoints, and no game state tracking beyond what you can see on the board in front of you. Another critical feature of this ruleset is that it uses nothing but the components in the various Heroica boxes - there are no new items or enemies.

We've found that it plays a little longer than normal heroica, mainly due to the larger number of monsters on the board. However, each class is more differentiated, and the switch to an xp system based on gold means there are far more strategic choices to be made during play. For example - do I engage the level two monster that is harder to kill, just to increase my chances of rolling a heroica and getting an xp? Do I spend the xp gained on a second weapon to multiclass, or do I spend it on attacks with my main weapon? Do I move in such a way as to bring the monsters down on my opponent, knowing that if I do so it might eventually bring them down on me? Do I kill the last monster on a spawn point, knowing it will let my opponent get an xp? Even with those choices, the game still plays simply and feels a lot like original Heroica when you play it.

I should point out the debt this ruleset owes to a number of other Heroica rulesets:

- to
Guilherme Töws
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for his Heroica 2.0 ruleset here.

- to
Robert Potter
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for his variant monster-strength system here.

- And finally, to
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and
Copper Samson
United States
flag msg tools

who independently suggested the basic system for making monsters move, here and here.

If you do play with these rules, and you like them, please post your experiences and criticism here.

I have reproduced the rules below. Rules we're not so sure about yet are coloured blue. Unplaytested rules are here coloured red. Without further ado, the rules:

ADVANCED HEROICA

Basic Changes to the Heroica System

1. XP and Spawn Points

In Advanced Heroica, the gold cones that represent gold instead represent Exprience Points (xp). When they are present on the board, they also act as monster spawning points.

2. Class abilities

Disregard the basic class abilities from the Heroica rulebooks. Instead substitute these basic abilities:

Thief - roll two dice and choose result for doors and chests.

Knight - The Knight requires one fewer sword to kill a monster, but takes damage and is pushed back as usual. Therefore the knight will always kill a strength one monster, but still has to roll to see if he takes damage.

Barbarian - move one space after defeating a monster. If you end up next to another monster, another MELEE round is triggered.

Wizard - At the start of your turn you may take one available potion from the supply. Note that you can have a significant effect on the Wizard's scalability in setup - all potions being set up at start makes for a slower game for the wizard, leaving a few off the board makes him very powerful!

Ranger - move 1 space at the start of your turn. This takes place before the die is rolled and before a ranged power is nominated. This movement is not increased by holding a torch.

Druid - may spend 1 hp to generate a sword result after rolling a combat roll. Note this does not convert a skull to a sword, so you still take damage/are pushed back as usual from the roll.

3. Weapon abilities

The weapon abilities are in some cases unchanged from the basic Heroica rules. Note that if a hero buys their class-appropriate weapon, they get a bonus over and above the weapon's power. That bonus and the hero it applies to is listed in brackets after the weapon ability.

RANGED abilities may only be used instead of rolling the dice for movement, or by spending XP during movement. MELEE powers may be used instead of making a Melee roll, or in the case of the sword, to initiate melee when not adjacent to a monster.

Dagger - RANGED: pay 1xp during movement to continue moving when adjacent to a monster, and to move through monsters as though they were players (Thief: in melee this turn, ignore damage from skulls rolled on attacks, but get pushed back as usual).

Sword - MELEE: pay 1xp to move adjacent to an enemy one square away, and attack that enemy at -1 strength. Note that if you end up adjacent to two enemies, you only get the -1 strength against ONE adjacent enemy. If there is another enemy within one square, you may spend a second XP to attack that enemy at -1 strength. You can keep spending XP and making extra attacks until you take damage or are pushed back. (Knight: may target an enemy up to 2 spaces away).

Axe - MELEE: pay 1xp to attack all adjacent enemies at -1 strength (Barbarian: gain 1 hp after defeating a monster when you use the axe. This HP gain takes place after HP loss, and can prevent death).

Wand - RANGED: instead of moving, attack an enemy up to 3 spaces away, including around corners. You ignore any skulls rolled on this attack, and are never pushed back as a result of this roll. Note this means that the first shot is free, but it is always taken at full monster strength. You may take as many additional shots as you like, but must pay 1 xp per additional shot (Wizard: increase range to 4 spaces).

Bow - RANGED: instead of moving, attack an enemy up to 5 spaces away in a straight line. Like the wand, the player ignores any skulls rolled on the attack roll and is never pushed back. Like the wand, shots are takena t full monster strength. You may pay 1xp per additional shot (Ranger: may move 1 space after firing each shot).

Staff - RANGED: pay 1xp during movement to recover two HP (Druid: spend 1xp to gain any number of hp).

4. Magic Item Abilities

Helmet of Protection - Ignore damage from one skull result on each combat roll, but still get pushed back as usual. This ability stacks with the Knight's class ability.

Staff of Summoning - RANGED: Move one monster one die roll worth of spaces, and roll attacks any other enemies it ends its movement adjacent to. No monsters move or spawn as a result of this movement. You gain xp for heroica results rolled as usual. If the dice ever show as many skulls as the monster's strength, the monster is eliminated.

Chalice of Life - RANGED: At any time during movement, recover one health. This ability does not use up your RANGED slot - it is the only RANGED ability that allows you to use another RANGED ability on the same turn.

5. Magic Doors

In the interest of speeding up play, magic door placement is governed by the following rules:

- Magic doors can only be placed on a tile with a GREEN baseplate (except during setup).
- once a magic door has been moved by a player, place the triggering tile (the blue transparent circle) in the space vacated by the magic door (it helps to put the trans blue dishes on spare 1x1 circular plates - they are hard to get off the board tiles).

5. Torches

Players drop torches on death, not on taking damage.

6. Healing

If you are reduced to 0 health, you heal as per the healing rules in basic Heroica. Notice, however, the following:

- you cannot move, and you do not have either a RANGED or MELEE Part to your turn. Thus you cannot use the staff's healing power, or the CHalice of Life. You also do not cause monsters to spawn or move. You DO gain xp through the roll of Heroica however.

- if a monster moves adjacent to you, you resolve the combat as usual - a normal melee round is triggered, and you can spend XP to trigger effects as usual.

- you MAY use potions as usual during your healing turn(s).

7. Potions

Potions work as per the normal Heroica rules, but with the following clarifications:

- you may use a potion at ANY TIME during your turn, to IMMEDIATELY gain the following effects:

HEALING: gain two hit points. You MAY NOT use a healing potion in response to being reduced to 0 hit points.

LUCK: Re-roll a single die

STRENGTH: reduce a monster's strength by one for one combat roll. This is cumulative with other effects.

SPEED: Immediately move up to four spaces (note you may move in this way AFTER combat).

8. Rubble

Rubble works as per normal Heroica, except on a Shield/Heroica result you clear the rubble and gain an XP - you DO NOT leave it on the board.

The Player Turn

1.a) Player Movement

The player whose turn it is EITHER opts to use a ranged power, OR rolls one die:

1 - move one square

2 - move two squares

3 - move three squares

4 - Heroica - gain one xp and move four squares

The player does not have to move their piece as many squares as their roll gives them - they can move less if desired. If the player’s piece ends its move on the same square as another player, move it forward to the nearest empty space. The player’s piece MUST stop moving if it enters a square orthogonally adjacent to a monster (NOT diagonally adjacent).

If the player's piece moves into a square containing a spawn point, the spawn point is placed on the player's pack as xp, and will no longer spawn monsters.

1.b) Monster Movement

Once the player has finished moving their piece, monsters may move, spawn or both. The original movement roll determines monster movement:

Sword - move the monster nearest to the active player’s piece one space towards the nearest player piece to it. If the monster cannot move, then find the next nearest monster and move them. Thus, a monster will ALWAYS move on the roll of a sword.

Note that the closest monster to active player moves, but it moves towards its own closest player. This means that the monster might not move towards the active player - it might end up moving towards a different player. Note also that a healing roll doe snot trigger monster movement.

If a monster ends up adjacent to a player, a Melee phase is triggered between that monster and that player, so the player may spend xp to trigger a MELEE effect. Monsters DO move towards dead/healing characters, and WILL attack them as usual. Dead/healing players may spend xp during combat.

Skull - take one monster from the monster pool and place it orthogonally adjacent (NOT diagonal) to a spawn point on the map. If there are no monsters available or no room next to the nearest spawn point, no monster spawns. Monsters spawn according to the colour of
the LEGO base plate (ie NOT the tile itself, but the baseplate that holds the tile):

Black - spawn a bat
Green - spawn a spider
Grey - spawn a goblin

NOTE: these are all level one monsters, so spawning monsters give out no xp.

IMPORTANT: If the player’s roll was a sword AND a skull, move the nearest monster BEFORE spawning a new monster, so the number of monsters on the board is always kept to a maximum, and the board reacts to the players' presence.

2. Melee (optional)

If a player’s piece ends its move orthogonally adjacent to a monster, or a monster moves adjacent to a player as a result of monster movement, immediately resolve combat. First, you may opt to use a melee power. Then, check the strength of the monster (text in brackets indicates monster special ability, see section after this one):

Bat - 1 (SWARM, FLYING)
Golem - 2
Golem Lord - 3
Spider - 1 (SWARM)
Werewolf - 2 (FAST)
Dark Druid - 3 (FLYING)
Goblin - 1
Goblin Warrior - 2
Goblin General -3
Goblin King - 4

There are a whole variety of weapon effects that lower monsters' strength. If at any point these modifiers drop a monster's strength to zero, that monster is automatically killed.

Roll a number of dice equal to the monster’s strength. If every die shows a sword or Heroica, the monster is killed. Remember to take 1xp per heroica rolled. Place defeated monsters back in the monster pool and take a number of xp equal to the monster’s strength minus 1.

If any of the dice show a skull, take one damage for each skull and move your character one space back directly away from the monster.

Monster abilities

We thought it would be cool to have a variety of keywords that could apply to monsters, to give you some variety.

SWARM: if a swarm monster moves as a result of a player’s movement, ALL monsters of the same type also move towards the nearest player.

FLYING: FLYING creatures are at -1 strength versus RANGED attacks. FLYING monsters may occupy a space that contains rubble.

FAST: FAST creatures move two spaces when triggered instead of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added some clarifications and changed some rules. After a playtest last night:

- we gave the Helmet of Protection the Knight's basic ability, as its ability no longer stacked up against the Staff and the Chalice.

- We're unsure of the efficacy of healing, so we're unsure of the Druid's special power as yet.

- We swapped the Barbarian's axe bonus ability and his class power. Now he can move after killing a monster from turn 1, and his axe bonus power gives him healing.

- We changed torches so you only drop them on death, not on taking damage.

- We clarified both the Staff of Summoning's ability and the Ranger's class ability.

- We changed the FLYING keyword so that it still benefited RANGED attacks but didn't completely screw MELEE attacks.

After playtesting, we are happy with the Ranger and the Thief's power level - they have a lot of character and they present the player with all sorts of fun decisions to make during a game. Rather than dumb them down, we've decided to bring all other characters up to their level.

Most classes feel like they are slowly leveling up during play as you play, which is great - as the dungeon wears on they get more skills and save up XP slowly to do more and more powerful attacks. It gets very cinematic and cool at moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
I'm keen to try it out.

If we have a small window of time before today's game, we could do a quick run through of one of the smaller sets (Nathuz or Waldurk). Alternatively we could make it part of the menu on the next Wed game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another couple of playtests last night. We're happy with how the druid plays and have a reasonably good ability for the knight.

We also made the following changes:

- tightened up the way potions worked

- changed the wizard's basic power

- slightly changed the way rubble works

- tightened up the way healing works

Next on the agenda - making bosses more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Aldana
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for these instructions, I think they are the best simplest modification that makes the game far better.
A few small comments:

I think there should be a penalty of having a monster attack you. Maybe the monster has +1 STR

What about the power of the Ranger using the bow is that he gets 2 shots for 1 xp?

The thief seems a bit weak, how about allowing him to reroll the die?
And I think the wizard's bonus power with the wand is also a bit weak, so the wizard has no incentive to get the wand; but for this, I have no suggestion.

One question I did not quite grasp, since gold is xp, how do you buy weapons? And I guess the market and the potions for sale are gone, right?

Thanks

BTW, I love the dagger to sneak past a monster action!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold is ALSO xp, so you can buy a weapon for 3 at the start of your turn.

We've been playing with all the potions on the map, so none available to buy. Where they ever available to buy?

Cleverly maneuvering monsters so they attack someone else is already a viable tactic without them being tougher. Especially in larger games (where monsters will likely move several times between your turn and the next) this would make things much more brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldanra wrote:
Thanks a lot for these instructions, I think they are the best simplest modification that makes the game far better.

Thanks for the kind words.

aldanra wrote:
A few small comments:

I think there should be a penalty of having a monster attack you. Maybe the monster has +1 STR

That's an interesting idea I hadn't considered. +1 strength might be too powerful, but I like the idea that there is some bonus for the monster. Maybe the hero always takes one damage in addition to any skull results? Or, maybe the hero is always pushed back and might take damage, but the monster can't die - kind of like the Knight's ability but in reverse. I'll have to think about it - thanks for the suggestion!

aldanra wrote:
What about the power of the Ranger using the bow is that he gets 2 shots for 1 xp?

The nice thing about the Ranger at the moment is how mobile he becomes. You can use his +1 move after shooting to get close enough to use the sword, for example, and have an uber turn.

However, that suggested power might work very well for the wizard!

aldanra wrote:
The thief seems a bit weak, how about allowing him to reroll the die?

It seems weak on paper, but it means a lot more gold for him in the long run, because he gets better results from chests, but also has more chances to roll heroicas. But I'm happy to consider changes. What do you mean "reroll the die"?

aldanra wrote:
And I think the wizard's bonus power with the wand is also a bit weak, so the wizard has no incentive to get the wand; but for this, I have no suggestion.

I think you're right. Maybe the Wizard could get the range increase AND two shots per 1 xp (like you suggested for the ranger above).

aldanra wrote:
One question I did not quite grasp, since gold is xp, how do you buy weapons? And I guess the market and the potions for sale are gone, right?

I left that bit out by mistake - you buy weapons for three XP, but you can't sell them back later for 2XP.

Nobody can buy potions except the wizard.

aldanra wrote:
BTW, I love the dagger to sneak past a monster action!!

Thanks! That one works really well :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Aldana
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Great, thanks for considering the suggestions.
What I meant by allowing re-roll to the their is that when he attacks, he can re-roll 1 die (maybe all) if he does not like the result. But I think you are right that it is too powerful.

When using RANGED attacks, the skulls do not cause damage; how about they allow the monster to get closer to the player (like in zaratustras version). Might be too powerful too.

And for the druid, should it have some kind of group heal capability (I realize you are trying to make this a competitive game, but it might fit). Maybe if it uses the staff it can heal others by getting paid xp?

One last question, can a player buy multiple weapons? And can they use both in the same turn?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldanra wrote:
Great, thanks for considering the suggestions.
What I meant by allowing re-roll to the their is that when he attacks, he can re-roll 1 die (maybe all) if he does not like the result. But I think you are right that it is too powerful.

We tried a similar re-roll and it is quite a powerful ability. Rolling two dice for chests and doors is similar, but limited. Still, I might try and figure out somethign a bit more powerful for the thief.

aldanra wrote:
When using RANGED attacks, the skulls do not cause damage; how about they allow the monster to get closer to the player (like in zaratustras version). Might be too powerful too.

That's also an interesting idea. At the moment we feel like ranged and melee are balanced, because even if ranged attacks carry no downside, they don't get the powerful strength reductions that melee weapons do. In practise, a ranged character goes through a lot more XP trying to kill str 2 and 3 monsters, so it feels balanced.

Still, perhaps a monster should move one space if it is targeted by, but not killed by, a ranged attack. I'll try it out next time we play.

aldanra wrote:
And for the druid, should it have some kind of group heal capability (I realize you are trying to make this a competitive game, but it might fit). Maybe if it uses the staff it can heal others by getting paid xp?

We want to work on a co-op version once we have the competitive version reasonably well tested. Some sort of group healing is definitely on the cards.

aldanra wrote:
One last question, can a player buy multiple weapons? And can they use both in the same turn?

Thanks

We've been playing that you can only carry four items, but you can have as many weapons as you want. You can use two weapons in one turn, definitely. However, you can use one ranged power and one melee power in a given turn, so you can't charge with the sword then pull out the axe and use it too (he only exception is the chalice of life, which doesn't "use up" your ranged slot when you use it).

You could, however, use the dagger to move and then use the axe to kill everything you wind up next to. We've found most of the fun of this version is in seeing how different effects work with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Aldana
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
We tried it a couple of times, but only Barbarian, Wizard and Thief.

I think we played the wizard wrong, allowing him to get 1 potion each turn from the box, but also putting used potions in the box, so in each turn he could use a potion, and get the same used potion. Too powerful.

The thief was also a bit weak, but mainly because we only allowed 1 weapon at a time. He took the dagger, but seldomly used its power (the special power was used quite a lot, though).

One question on the barbarian: when he uses the axe to battle monsters at -1 str, does he still roll the full compliment of die, to calculate the damage? In essence that would be like the knight needing one less sword.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldanra wrote:
I think we played the wizard wrong, allowing him to get 1 potion each turn from the box, but also putting used potions in the box, so in each turn he could use a potion, and get the same used potion. Too powerful.

You played it right, and it's very powerful. The trick is to make sure all the potions are on the board at the beginning, so he can't use his power until someone's got and used a potion. It does mean he can use a speed potion per turn towards the end though.

aldanra wrote:
The thief was also a bit weak, but mainly because we only allowed 1 weapon at a time. He took the dagger, but seldomly used its power (the special power was used quite a lot, though).

I played him for the second time last night and noticed something similar. His chest-and-door basic power is too weak. I was thinking of changing it to: "The thief can get through a locked door on a sword, and never takes damage from opening a chest".

aldanra wrote:
One question on the barbarian: when he uses the axe to battle monsters at -1 str, does he still roll the full compliment of die, to calculate the damage? In essence that would be like the knight needing one less sword.

You apply the negative strength modifier before rolling dice, so the axe and sword kill strength one monsters instantly, without a die roll. It stacks with the knight's ability, so with the sword the knight can auto-kill a strength two monster, but still rolls one die as he can still potentially take damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Kirby
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
So does everyone start as a MELEE only Class cry or do the Wizard and Ranger have weaker RANGED abilities that I'm missing?laugh (I love ranged attacks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone starts as melee only, with only their basic powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Aldana
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Boots01 wrote:
aldanra wrote:

You played it right, and it's very powerful. The trick is to make sure all the potions are on the board at the beginning, so he can't use his power until someone's got and used a potion. It does mean he can use a speed potion per turn towards the end though.

How about having the wizard take 1 potion every 2 turns. So first he "gathers ingredients" and then "brews the potion" the next turn.

Or he can gather ingredients multiple turns.

As for the their, what about his ability is he can reroll any one die per turn (movement or combat).
And if he has the dagger, he can move past a monster and backstab (not sure what the backstab would do: 1 less sword needed?)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Bagelman
msg tools
I just bought Ilrion, which seems to be a newer set, even though I thought it was an older one, considering it's so hard to find. At any rate, I submit rule variants for this set, based on your existing rules (still under testing):

Prince moves after a kill like a Barbarian, but his favored weapon is a Sword, like the Knight. (we're thinking he could also choose the Bow for a favored weapon, but can't have both in his inventory)

Sage gathers potions like the wizard, but his favored weapon is the staff, like the Druid. (untested)

I saw another rules variant which states that all bosses have stats. I submit them here (with my own modifications) to those interested:

Bosses need to be defeated by two heroes (once= stunned, knocked back. second hero comes in, finishes the job. This doesn't have to happen one right after the other, just twice. This encourages teamwork, and each hero who lands a killing blow gets a Victory Point, if you're using those.)

Goblin King- ST4. After his first defeat, he summons goblins based on a roll (steal these from the board if you have to):
Shield= 4 ST worth of goblins
Sword= 3 ST worth of goblins
Skull= 2 ST worth
Split= 1 ST worth

Dark Druid- disables all potions in the module he currently occupies.

Goblin General- negates damage from purchased weapons

Golem Lord- If GL damages a hero and knocks them back, he drops a pile of rocks into that space.

Dracula- If he damages a hero, he teleports adjacent to the NEXT available hero and initiates another melee combat (if another hero is damaged, play continues as normal, so as to not create a never-ending chain)

Giant Bat mini-boss- FLYING. Starts moving after Dracula is killed, and moves every time an enemy moves, regardless of what kind of monster moved. Damage to the Bat is cumulative (ex: if you roll 4 dice and only get 2 swords, its strength is now 2, and next time you attack it roll only 2 dice, etc)

Also, modified Treasure Chest rules I've found elsewhere:

Shield: Take a potion from the box.
Sword: Take 1 xp.
Skull: Take 1 Dmg and get knocked back. (COFFIN: is not removed from play)
Split: Get a key or activate a magic door. (COFFIN: Get no item. Is not removed from play. Get knocked back, place a VAMPIRE BAT on the coffin.)

Here's a variant of your Thief that we have tried with great success:

In addition to Magic Doors and Treasure Chests, the Thief can also roll two dice on a Coffin or Rubble/rocks. This makes the Thief more useful in any board.

And finally, a new potion:

Potion of Clarity (built with clear cylinder from under Bat, because they are annoying, and a spare gray "stopper" on top):
Attack a monster. You need one less Sword/Shield to kill it. This stacks with other abilities, such as the Knight's basic ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for adding to the rules. I also just bought Ilrion and have been trying to figure out the new rules for Sage and Prince.

I really like the idea of varying the monsters. I was thinking that the Goblin General should spawn goblins like a spawn point. I really love the idea that the STR3/4 bosses need input from two players, I was thinking the same thing but haven't found a way to make it really cool yet.

I was thinking too that when you kill a werewolf or goblin, you get a zombie in their place, or maybe the Dark Druid could summon zombies?

Your giant bat rules are very cool, they're like the ones I was planning but the 'always moves' thing is really scary - I love it. I wonder if he should have SWARM and also maybe spawn bats (but that might be too much).

I totally agree on the thief being able to get through rocks, and I like your take on coffins.

Otherwise, I think Ilrion's new classes highlight the problems in the rules as they are. I think the Knight, Thief, Ranger and Barbarian work really well, but I think the Wizard and Druid are really lame in our rules as they stand. So, I was thinking that both healing and magic need an overhaul.

For magic, I was thinking that the Sage should take the wizard's basic potion ability, and that the wand's basic power should become the wizard's basic power (so he has a ranged attack from the get-go). But then I have no idea what the wand should do. I agree that the sage should use the staff and get a different bonus to the druid.

For healing, I'm not sure. I was thinking that maybe the Druid's basic ability would be to spend XP and HP interchangeably. But I have no idea what the staff should do, or what its different bonuses should be for the sage and the druid.

I had on thought for the prince - once per turn he could choose a character class and get their special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Gutierrez del Moral
Spain
Jaen
Jaen
flag msg tools
Hi everyone
I'm trying to translate this rules to spanish and I'm afraid I can't understand this. Could any one translate it or express it in some other way?
Thanks in advance

Staff of Summoning - RANGED: Move one monster one die roll worth of spaces, and roll attacks any other enemies it ends its movement adjacent to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Diego, I'm sorry that it's not very clear.

The point of the staff is that it lets you move and fight with a monster on your turn instead of moving and fighting with your own pawn. So you roll the die, but instead of moving your character, you move a monster, and then that monster attacks any other monsters it ends its turn adjacent to.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Gutierrez del Moral
Spain
Jaen
Jaen
flag msg tools
Ok, now I get it.
Thank you.
By the way, we have played (my kids and me) with Drayda and Nathuz with a free map configuration and it was very good.
And it seems to me that the thief is a little "inferior" compared to the wizard or the barbarian fighting with high level monsters, but I will see when we play more times.
I'm very interested in adopt rules to get a more cooperative game.
And finally some questions. Can monsters pass through treasures, torches and potions? Should we move the boss monster with monster's move or keep it static in its chamber?

Thanks for your time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.