Dread Pirate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartholomew Blake
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I finally got a chance to dust off and play the Dread arrrh game that I bought years ago, but I am already stumped on a rules question.

The rules state that the winner of a skirmish gets to take "treasure" out of the loser's pouch. Does "treasure" mean doubloons, jewels, or either one?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played it as "either one". arrrh

The combat resolution in Dread Pirate is...simplistic. There have been some really good suggestions about combining the rules for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World with the game of Dread Pirate that for many make the game more fun.

That game has a different movement system, based on the direction of wind and the direction you are traveling. Basically, if you are facing the wind at the start of your turn, you may move 1 space. If you are facing directly away from the wind, you may move 3 spaces. If the wind is from either of your sides, you may move 5 spaces. The wind direction changes every 3 minutes by rolling the "Wind" die. If there is a storm, your movement is then randomized by a d6 each turn until the storm passes.

Movement:
Wind 1 < Ship > 3

Combat is resolved more like Risk with both the attacker and defender rolling dice according to how many "prizes" they have. Each ship starts with 2 magnets under it called "prizes". These represent the combat value of each ship. If a ship has all 3 prizes, it rolls 3 d6 (both attackers and defenders). The highest die of the attacker is compared with the highest die of the defender. If the attacker's die is higher, the defender removes 1 prize. If the defender's die is higher, no damage occurs. If the defender has a broadside facing the attacker, the defender may immediately counter attack.

Facing is important. To shoot, a ship must have a broadside facing the target. The target may be facing, fleeing, or broadside to the attacker depending on where the attacker is located with respect to the target.

Ships can ram each other as well.

I own both games and both are fun, but the movement and combat in Dread Pirate is easily improved with little more complication and it adds a lot more decisions for players to make...which for most gamers makes it more fun. Of course, the taste of the folks playing the game is the determining factor. Some folks like games that are almost entirely luck based. Others enjoy more thought based game play. Each to their own.

I offer these ideas merely for consideration. I enjoy both games "as is". I also enjoy the vartiations in play.

Have fun.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartholomew Blake
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply, and for the suggestions.

I think I'll try playing it through a couple of times with the standard rules, just to get the "feel" of the game.

But I did see some of the weaknesses as I was reading through the rules, so I suspect that I will be wanting to spice it up some.

Thanks again, and happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Van Drewski
msg tools
There is a sentence towards the end of the booklet that explains (I think when counting treasures) that BOTH Jewels and coins are considered treasures, so when pulling treasures from a bag, I believe that it comes down to touch. Pull what you want.. as all, jewels and coins, are treasures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.