Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I surveyed the threads on variants and haven't seen this posted so far, so I apologize if it has been already.

This idea spawned from a good ol' Starcraft itch... Teams and shared bases (not tested yet).

Premise:
- game starts out with alliances (ie 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2)
- allied players sit adjacent to each other at table
- allied ships may occupy hexes with other allied ships and disks
- victory conditions are the same except points are combined among team
- no diplomacy rules apply

Possible problems:
- team co-combat would have to be worked out and balanced
- run-away leader could potentially lead to an early 'bow out'. When you and your allie are overrun, some like to go down with the ship, while others simply say 'gg' and want to leave (not always a bad thing).

Potential tweaks:
- to increase team synergy and shared base concept, players could potentially let allies colonize planets on hexes in which they have influence (with permission of course). This will also increase use of influence action. It could allow for some great strategy!
- variant allowing multiple players to be same alien race

Other ideas:
- sharing resources --- will probably make things too complicated
- sharing certain techs --- could be interesting, but likely overpowered

All thoughts are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I would say that:

Teams may not share a hex (except maybe after retreat, in which case if there is a combat the enemy first fights one player then the other like normal 3-way combat), but ships are not pinned by allied ships. So combat rules don't change at all.

You may explore from a hex your ally (but not you) is adjacent to.

You may always trade 3:1 with your ally (one player loses three of something, the other gains one of something).

I would simplify scoring dramatically. For starters I would remove reputation completely. Probably remove tech vp too. Maybe just discovery tiles + hexes on board. Makes checking combined scoring really easy, especially if discovery tiles used for vp are immediately pooled.

My main concern is that the dominant personality would run both sides of the alliance. I love partnership games like Tichu, where each side has to pull their weight, but am bored to tears by co-op games.

I've seen comments in other threads that alliances are coming in an expansion or variant or something. So there is apparently some thought and testing going into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I've seen comments in other threads that alliances are coming in an expansion or variant or something. So there is apparently some thought and testing going into this.
This: Fighting with the Space Pirates

At least designers are playtesting it. No promises yet if there's going to be expansion that includes alliances.

edit: Corrected the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmmmmmmmmmm... That links to a Werewolf thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.