Subject: adapting games for a 4 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I've been asked by a 4 year old to bring some of my games, and looking at my list there is not a lot that would suite him. In fact there is nothing.
I've aleady played Hive with him, by just using the pieces to play a game of memory. It went really well as the pieces are very tactile and solid.

Looking at my game list, can you think of anything else I could adapt to play with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can play something like Dominoes with the tiles from Carcasonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Carcassone and/or Roll Through the Ages. When my daughter was that age I would play some of my games with her with the simplest concepts - mostly matching or building concepts. As she got older we would adapt to what she could handle.

Mostly at that age they want to be included and spend time with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfisher wrote:

Mostly at that age they want to be included and spend time with you.

yes, agreed.

I like the dominos with Carcassonne idea but how would it work? Draw 6 tiles and try to place, and redraw if you can't? Carc is designed so that you can always place a tile. What rules did you use for "domino-carc"

Carcassonne using simple rules would also be fab. I don't think he could put meeples down to claim a building or a road. How have you adapted it?

(Roll through the ages isn't avaiable to me right now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to adapt Carcassonne would be to give a point for each tile edge that matches up. This encourages looking at multiple edges of the piece rather than just one side. Later, this could be expanded to using meeples to score roads and cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list for games I've played with the kids, Carcassonne is a good one, also Red November, Zombie Dice, Ticket to Ride or Quarriors. They all have rules that are not too tough, and really fun bits to play with. Well Red November has some funky rules but since it's cooperative it's no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that dexterity type games are good (Hamsterrolle or Bausack) or co-operative type games (HeroQuest or Forbidden Island) where the children can play along with others.

Both these types can be adapted for children or the adults be handicapped somehow.

Carcassonne would seem the better one on your list for tweaking, such as Markus suggests. There is a children's version that my two got started on but SilverXII makes a good comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.