Subject: Bookcase game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear I'm going to bring one of FFG's boxes to the attention of the appropriate authority any day now (in the UK, there are regulations restricting the amount of waste space in packaging, and at least LotR: LCG and LotR: Confrontation breach those!) Were I a theist I would demand sentient fate strike down their packaging designer with a hoary blast of sulphurous lightning to a duly ouch-ful nether region.

Anyway, even though it will make no different to FFG I here register my annoyance at their stupid, wasteful, not-fitting-in-my-bookcase go-bigger packaging sizes!

I think packaging alone might stop me buying this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
vonklaude wrote:
I swear I'm going to bring one of FFG's boxes to the attention of the appropriate authority any day now (in the UK, there are regulations restricting the amount of waste space in packaging, and at least LotR: LCG and LotR: Confrontation breach those!) Were I a theist I would demand sentient fate strike down their packaging designer with a hoary blast of sulphurous lightning to a duly ouch-ful nether region.

Anyway, even though it will make no different to FFG I here register my annoyance at their stupid, wasteful, not-fitting-in-my-bookcase go-bigger packaging sizes!

The LCG boxes don't bother me. If they fit just the core deck, everyone would be asking for holy brimstone upon them for being too small. the intent here is you buy the chapter packs and store all the cards in the main box....

This Rex box is a standard box size for them. Based on the board being "normal" sized and the amount of chits, reference sheets, cards, and the bombardment token, I think it will take up most of the space. My playtest copy took up a fair amount of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The UK should work on regulations stopping the wasting of bandwidth as displayed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
So you are not going to buy a game because of the space in the box? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard.Especially, when it is often difficult to get everything to fit back the box of a FF game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

My playtest copy took up a fair amount of space.

woah woah woah...playtest copy? I hate you.

So jealous right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
The UK should work on regulations stopping the wasting of bandwidth as displayed here.

Are you referring to your post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
guitarsolointhewind wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Are you referring to your post?

Prety sure he's not in the UK!

A box isn't packaging. It's storage. I have no idea, but I doubt whatever the law is covers boxes in which things are meant to be kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Lannes
Germany
Zirndorf
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculous...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Heh. I will engage with the underlying point. FFG, and DoW (to a lesser extent), introduced massive boxes to the boardgames market a few years ago. These are a straightforward promotional tool, to do with monopolising shelf space. It impacts sales to get facing space, and their boxes more often succeed in doing that (and have broad edges where they do not). A large box can create an impression of greater value. It is a cynical strategy, but one that has been successful and that others duly followed.

Packaging accounts for a huge amount of waste, and it is among that special group of things that are win/win to avoid, because it is much of the time not needed and reducing it positively impacts resources used and ultimately costs. So we should reduce such things where we can, because, in case you haven't noticed, we are far over our budget for resource use for one planet, and for the forseeable future we have just the one to play with. Concern with packaging is a real, just, environmentally minded concern. FFG don't have to just shrink their boxes, they could address my concerns other ways too.

Unfortunately, marketing departments won't do anything so long as they make more sales. That's not in their job description. Therefore I make a conscious buy choice based on whether I feel the packaging is unwarranted. So should you. Modest actions are worthwhile. Individual consumers can influence producers. You can always buy second-hand instead of new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are realy concerned for the environment and resource waste, I'd sugest not to buy any boardgames at all ever again. In case you haven't noticed they are luxury items that are not needed at all and so are a total waste of resources.

On a more serious note, I've got my share of FFG games and I've so far not experianced any overly roomy boxes. For example, I've got both Star Craft and TI and even though they are BIG boxes, I still can't fitt everything back in the box once I have sorted stuff in to boxes and sleeved cards. So I guess I don't quit see your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
vonklaude wrote:
So we should reduce such things where we can, because, in case you haven't noticed, we are far over our budget for resource use for one planet, and for the forseeable future we have just the one to play with.

Bullshit.

Your fantasy wannbe hippy condescending fairytale poo-poo aside, none of the geeks on this site throw the box out anyway, so your lawsuit is nonsense. Those regulations were brought in because some crooked politician wanted to shore up some green votes from the gumby brigade who think they are going to save the planet. It has nothing to do with maximizing geek shelving space so they can fit more "consumer products".

I look forward to you hiring a law firm to prove me wrong.

Edit: me fail english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggler wrote:
If you are realy concerned for the environment and resource waste, I'd sugest not to buy any boardgames at all ever again. In case you haven't noticed they are luxury items that are not needed at all and so are a total waste of resources.

Exactly! This is a problem I am trying to resolve. I love our hobby, but I cannot deny it is a luxury. I am acutely aware of the harm our consumption is doing: consumption increase outstrips population increase. Yet it is truly said we don't live by bread alone.

So what to do? I am very open to ideas, and one idea is to avoid over-packaged goods, and even better to buy second-hand. Another thought is components. A Starcraft box-worth of components is perhaps more than our planet can afford. AH's Dune was largely cardboard. Perhaps FFG could offer downscale versions for hippies?

An idea I do resist is that we should turn a blind eye. We should not: we are capable of better than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vonklaude wrote:
Smuggler wrote:

Exactly! This is a problem I am trying to resolve. I love our hobby, but I cannot deny it is a luxury. I am acutely aware of the harm our consumption is doing: consumption increase outstrips population increase. Yet it is truly said we don't live by bread alone.

So what to do? I am very open to ideas, and one idea is to avoid over-packaged goods, and even better to buy second-hand. Another thought is components. A Starcraft box-worth of components is perhaps more than our planet can afford. AH's Dune was largely cardboard. Perhaps FFG could offer downscale versions for hippies?

An idea I do resist is that we should turn a blind eye. We should not: we are capable of better than that.

But might it be that the only way things will change for the better is if people are happy enough to want to work for change? That's where I see hobbies as being important. Obviously, most people would burn out very quickly just doing good things all day long every day.

I'd also submit that a nice, high quality game with bits that last (I'd say most of FFGs games fall into this category) is something you can pass on. To other gamers, or to your children (who hopefully become other gamers.)

I think some solutions would be to buy games you KNOW you'll like. It doesn't matter that Rune Wars could fit in a box 2/3 the size (And really, if they already have the dies cut for that size box, and the warehouse support for that size box, etc, it might be making more sense to keep making them big, even if the game is a bit smaller.) if you're going to play it 100 times! Maybe that 100 car trips you don't take. 100 meals you and your buddies have to cook for yourselves.

But maybe there is something to be said about artificial demand-- like, people buying games they aren't going to play as much as the game is relatively worse.

But then you get all the people on kickstarter who have a 'right' to publish their game, and the people with money who have the 'right' to spend it on whatever they want. People who will complain if their niche in the niche of a niche doesn't have content produced for it.

Now I'm just rambling. But it's sort of something people have to figure out for themselves. Write a letter to FFG. Only buy games on an ipad! (is the foot print of an ipad bigger or smaller than some number of games?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more worried about where to put the gigantormous boxes, and I don't want to invest in custom geek cabinetry for them.

Environmentally I think the hobby is on the less wasteful side due to the massive amount of reuse of the product. I have yet to ever throw away a board game (or a board game box).

Correction: I think our very first edition of Candy Land was water damaged in the 1980's...

Box size aside, I just wish that Rex would get printed already...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
A box isn't packaging. It's storage. I have no idea, but I doubt whatever the law is covers boxes in which things are meant to be kept.
Not sure about that. Here in Sweden most (only the super-extra fancy) tooth paste tubes come without any other packing. Earlier they came with paper boxes but someone thought that was a bad idea and consumers expressed that opinion by leaving the box in the store ..
And now what we've got is tooth paste tubes with no boxes.

I don't know if that got anything with regulation or consumer demand to do but I wouldn't be surprised is there was laws trying to minimize transport waste and such.

This isn't the US/China after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vonklaude wrote:
Smuggler wrote:

Well e-book readers and tablets with board game emulators / video games behaving like board games could help some? The actual item is much more resource waste but I guess shipping 1500+ of boxes in some cases here on BGG is worse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Not sure about that. Here in Sweden most (only the super-extra fancy) tooth paste tubes come without any other packing. Earlier they came with paper boxes but someone thought that was a bad idea and consumers expressed that opinion by leaving the box in the store ..
And now what we've got is tooth paste tubes with no boxes.

I don't know if that got anything with regulation or consumer demand to do but I wouldn't be surprised is there was laws trying to minimize transport waste and such.

This isn't the US/China after all.

I DO keep my toothpaste in the box, and would be very angry if I lived in Sweeden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
vonklaude wrote:

Packaging accounts for a huge amount of waste, and it is among that special group of things that are win/win to avoid, because it is much of the time not needed and reducing it positively impacts resources used and ultimately costs. So we should reduce such things where we can, because, in case you haven't noticed, we are far over our budget for resource use for one planet, and for the forseeable future we have just the one to play with. Concern with packaging is a real, just, environmentally minded concern.

By that logic, buying games with bigger boxes will fill your shelf space faster. Once your shelf space is full you won't buy any more games and therefore will save the environment.

Smaller boxes leads to buying more games, which leads to even more waste and consumption of our planet's "dwindling resources."*

* (Please note: I don't deny that the planet's resources are limited and recycling is good, etc, etc. But arguing that a board game company making their boxes a few inches narrower will stop this planet from consuming itself is pretty ridiculous. Let's focus on getting our oil consumption under control first - you should be asking for games with fewer plastic pieces, if anything.)

vonklaude wrote:

vonklaude wrote:

FFG don't have to just shrink their boxes, they could address my concerns other ways too.

So, by your own admission, your primary complaint about the box size from your own OP is bullshit. How can FFG address your concerns about their boxes being too big by any means other than making their boxes smaller?

Either your original post was deliberately misleading (and based on responses, inflammatory) or else you're changing your story as you go along to patch the holes people are rightly punching in it.

Y'know, comparing this thread to all the hyper-in-depth rules discussions you've been posting over in the Dune forum, I'm guessing your real complaint with this game is that it's not Dune. (Though perhaps you haven't yet reached the point where you can admit that, even to yourself.)

FFG would love to have reprinted Dune as Dune - they even made a somewhat hasty announcement to that effect back in 2007, before they realized they couldn't get the license to the Dune universe. You may not want to buy this game because it's not Dune, and that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But please, don't waste our time pretending there's anything wrong with the box it's in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

I DO keep my toothpaste in the box, and would be very angry if I lived in Sweeden.

Whoa. Haha. I thought flipping out because someone left the cap off the toothpaste was intense.

Anyhow about the packaging. I'm also cursed with thinking continuously about the environment. I don't see any harm in thinking together about ways to decrease our environmental impact. Infact i see more harm in not thinking about it. Also i think it's a shame that people get slagged as 'hippies' for taking our planet into consideration. It's like writing someone off as a 'nerd' for enjoying learning.

I have a few ideas for game publishing business models which i think might decrease a games environmental impact while still rewarding designers and publishing companies and of course those of us who want to play these amazing games. Most of which involves acting locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guitarsolointhewind wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Whoa. Haha. I thought flipping out because someone left the cap off the toothpaste was intense.

Anyhow about the packaging. I'm also cursed with thinking continuously about the environment. I don't see any harm in thinking together about ways to decrease our environmental impact. Infact i see more harm in not thinking about it. Also i think it's a shame that people get slagged as 'hippies' for taking our planet into consideration. It's like writing someone off as a 'nerd' for enjoying learning.

I have a few ideas for game publishing business models which i think might decrease a games environmental impact while still rewarding designers and publishing companies and of course those of us who want to play these amazing games. Most of which involves acting locally.

Hah. There had better not be 'someone' touching it to leave the cap off.

I am very particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.