Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I finally tracked down a copy of this (the Descartes French edition), which just arrived today via parcel. It is opened, but the contents were verified by the seller (which, I know, could mean nothing). So I was perusing the English insert, and noticed a few discrepancies. Everything seems to be accounted for, but if someone who has or is familiar with this edition could please verify the following:

1.) How many leader discs (in total, considering the Duel and Spice Harvest expansions) should there be? I have 6, but the base game states 5, with the Duel adding 5 more. Should there be 10? If so, I am missing 4 per faction.

2.) How many Treachery and Spice cards (in total, counting the Duel and Spice Harvest expansions) should there be? The English insert just says "Spice and Treachery cards" for the base game, with mention of 5 new Treachery cards added with the Duel expansion.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am stoked to try and play this, BUT could use the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: Dune Descartes Frenach edition component question
78giraffes wrote:

1.) How many leader discs (in total, considering the Duel and Spice Harvest expansions) should there be? I have 6, but the base game states 5, with the Duel adding 5 more. Should there be 10? If so, I am missing 4 per faction.

The base game came with 5 leader discs per faction (6 factions), for a total of 30 leader discs. The Duel (I suppose it was) adds "main leaders", which is an additional 1 leader per faction, bringing to total up to 36 leader discs, 6 per faction.

I'm unclear if the Descartes edition included components for the magazine factions (Ix, Tleilaxu and Landsraad), but if it does, that would be another 10 "basic" leaders and 2 more "main leaders." (Tleilaxu didn't have any leaders or army units per the magazine version of the faction.) If the Descartes edition does not include these three factions, please disregard this paragraph.

78giraffes wrote:

2.) How many Treachery and Spice cards (in total, counting the Duel and Spice Harvest expansions) should there be? The English insert just says "Spice and Treachery cards" for the base game, with mention of 5 new Treachery cards added with the Duel expansion.

IIRC, there were 33 treachery cards in the core game and 15 (blows) + 6 (worms) = 21 spice cards.

Each of the Duel and Spice Harvest added another 5 treachery cards, if I'm not mistaken, bringing us up to 43 in total (and no new spice cards.)

If you happen to have 45 treachery cards, then you probably also have Stone Burner and Semuta Drug from the magazine expansions. Again, I'm not sure if those were officially part of the Descartes edition, so if they aren't there, don't panic.

78giraffes wrote:

3.) Does anyone have a link to a PDF of the sheets on which you track information in English? I have using the originals, and also, well, they are in French and I am but a hillbilly with a penchant for games.

There are probably more than a few reference sheets in the files section here on BGG. I did a cursory sweep and found this one, which appears to be based on the Descartes edition in particular:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/62852/game-recordsheet...

(Please note I did not actually look at the file, I just read the description. If this one doesn't suit your needs, check the file section for other options.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are a golden god, forged by the hammer of Yahwey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm that the magazine materials (Ix, Tleilax and Landsraad factions ; Stone burner card etc.) are not in the Descartes edition. It contains only the base game, Duel, and Spice Harvest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How does one get these cards/items? I heard mention of taking the factions up to NINE? Anyone have a link for these? I would love to see what they add to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
78giraffes wrote:
How does one get these cards/items? I heard mention of taking the factions up to NINE? Anyone have a link for these? I would love to see what they add to the game.

Text transcriptions of the magazine materials can be found just about everywhere online. There are probably relevant links on the main Dune page right here.

There are also about 500 fan variants of the "expansion factions", my personal favourites thus far being the ones Alexander Stevens recently shared in the variants forum.

If you're looking to actually get a copy of the original magazines (and the components they included therein) to match your Descartes game box, you might be in for a bit of a search. We are, after all, talking about issues of a magazine that were printed nigh on 25-ish years ago.

Last I heard, Ilya was working on some variation of these factions that he was planning to make available via Mr Tullsen's PnP business. I haven't seen any kind of official announcement that they're ready, though. I believe he's just making the magazine versions to avoid having to decide which variant rules to include.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.