Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few months waiting to get the time to hook up our new printer, wanted to print this game with a good printer, yesterday I printed and assembled Aether Captains: Pirates and Traders and must say it went together superbly. Besides the griping graphics, professional looking layout and intriguing theme, after one game, it plays out very nice as well. Though I found a few areas in the rules a bit open ended. Like what do you do if the action card you pull can’t be full filled? I had one instance where a “Trade Post / Pirates: Black Market” card came up offering a resource that I was maxed out in or “You may” choose to attack. But it didn’t state “You May” on the first half of the narrative so, I just figured the “You may” applied to both entries. I will ask a few more questions at the end.

I found the setup to go quick and the shape of the cards makes it easy to shuffle. Though for those who like card sleeves these cards may not be so good. I drew up Captain Janus Strommond as my first commander. H worked out very well for the firs two scenarios I played. As for my ship, I built it as follows; ENGINE: 3 / CARGO: 2 / CREW:2 / GUNS: 3. Figured it was best to be over gunned and fast for the first trip into the unknown.

The first Scenario ~ Trade was, “The Exile.” where I have to visit three trade city and barter to complete this situation. After figuring out which cards were Cities, duh!, I completed it within 4/5th of the first deck. I was in good order with all my resources at full capacity.

Second Scenario ~ Assist was, “Clear Your Name.” I need to visit three Cities and pay off the authorities by donating (bribing) them with three resources of coal, ammo and/or precious cargo. I was able to take in two lovely metropolises before I ran into two pirates that ended up being too much for Janus to handle. He will be missed… The first one I took on was week and I decided to attack him. It used up all but two ammo (red) resources.

The next card was “Pirates: It’s a Trap.” This guy was a veteran crew with a tricked out ship. The derelict barge had an Attack of (6) and Defense of (9). Well he hit me with his first volley taking out a storage container in the forward gun compartment, reducing my ammo (Red) by one. By return fir, put off by the attack of the pirate, and we shot well short of his aft section. As he turned we realized we had now way to retaliate, as we had expended the last of the ammo. Bing that this Pirate anticipated our every maneuver (“You may not retreat.) All we could do was make way to the escape pods, but Captain Strommond refused to leave his ship. Shortly after we cleared the ship the cargo section imploded and took the rest of the ship with it. We did see something large emerged form the bridge area, we can only hope the Captain was on it.

First Mate Keelan Mircury

Game Note: I learned that you don’t reduce your ammo resource till you know the “Pirates: It’s a Trap” card is out of the draw deck. With the “no retreat” qualifier, one will be shredded one you run through your red resource cubes.

Mr. Sanders, you have a good game here. I enjoyed the first run and look forward to sitting down for another go of it.

QUESTIONS:

What do you do when you get an “Assist” that you don’t need or can’t use? Is this an optional card too?

When you complete a scenario, do you reshuffle the action card deck or finish out the current deck first?

If you don’t want or can’t buy the resource in “Trade Post / Pirates: Black Market” card, do you have to attack?

Observations:

Though the artwork and layout of the game is exceptional, there is one issue I have with the choice of colors. Within the text of the action cards you have the resource icons mixed in. I find these icon colors Very Very hard to differentiate between. I am not color blind, but trying to distinguish the orange/yellow or gold is near imposable. With the different back ground colors that these icons sit on, between the upper part of the card and lower part, this has the effect of altering the color in the icons. Remember the colors around any color will influence that color look. Plus the amount of coloring in the icons, the bottom icons have more color as they are 5-6 times larger than its counterpart in the upper card, makes a difference it our eyes perception of the color. For a solution, could you also use different shapes for the resource icons? Like triangles, diamond, hex, inverted triangle, star, etc. The lower section is easy to read as each icons have designated position on the card, but the upper section varies depending on the resource in play. Wow this is a long winded way to ask, if you repost the card files could you consider making the upper icons easier to distinguish between each other?

Thank you for such a great game! I look forward to expansions if you plan on them.
Jim Pcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the nice session report. i'll post some answers to your questions after the holiday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I'll have to try the game out as soon as I can get fresh ink for my printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some time today for some answers

jasta6 wrote:
Like what do you do if the action card you pull can’t be full filled? I had one instance where a “Trade Post / Pirates: Black Market” card came up offering a resource that I was maxed out in or “You may” choose to attack. But it didn’t state “You May” on the first half of the narrative so, I just figured the “You may” applied to both entries. I will ask a few more questions at the end.

yes the 'you may' applies in both instances here. narratively in this case, she offered you a deal on some shady items and you said no but you decided not to attack.

jasta6 wrote:

What do you do when you get an “Assist” that you don’t need or can’t use? Is this an optional card too?

yes assist cards are 'may' situations. they are there to help if you need it, if not go on to the next drawn card

jasta6 wrote:

When you complete a scenario, do you reshuffle the action card deck or finish out the current deck first?

i usually keep going with the current deck because the story is on going.

jasta6 wrote:

If you don’t want or can’t buy the resource in “Trade Post / Pirates: Black Market” card, do you have to attack?

no you do not have to attack, you just decided not to agree to her deal

jasta6 wrote:

Observations:

Though the artwork and layout of the game is exceptional, there is one issue I have with the choice of colors. Within the text of the action cards you have the resource icons mixed in. I find these icon colors Very Very hard to differentiate between. I am not color blind, but trying to distinguish the orange/yellow or gold is near imposable. With the different back ground colors that these icons sit on, between the upper part of the card and lower part, this has the effect of altering the color in the icons. Remember the colors around any color will influence that color look. Plus the amount of coloring in the icons, the bottom icons have more color as they are 5-6 times larger than its counterpart in the upper card, makes a difference it our eyes perception of the color. For a solution, could you also use different shapes for the resource icons? Like triangles, diamond, hex, inverted triangle, star, etc. The lower section is easy to read as each icons have designated position on the card, but the upper section varies depending on the resource in play. Wow this is a long winded way to ask, if you repost the card files could you consider making the upper icons easier to distinguish between each other?

thanks for this observation. i was still new to game designing then. newer game i do use shaped icons more. one day, when i have time i'll transfer the cards over to a standard 2.5x3.5 format and do some adjustments for readability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd, Thank you for your clarifications.

dumarest123 wrote:
thanks for this observation. i was still new to game designing then...

I see. For one of your first games this is a well put together system. Nice job!! I do like the card shape as it is in the current design. They shuffle much easier than the normal size card in my other PnP games.

One more thing, I want to know if this was played out correctly,

Second Scenario ~ Assist was, “Clear Your Name.” I need to visit three Cities and pay off the authorities by donating (bribing) them with three resources of coal, ammo and/or precious cargo. I was able to take in two lovely metropolises before I ran into two pirates that ended up being too much for Janus to handle. He will be missed… The first one I took on was week and I decided to attack him. It used up all but two ammo (red) resources.

The next card was “Pirates: It’s a Trap.” This guy was a veteran crew with a tricked out ship. The derelict barge had an Attack of (6) and Defense of (9). Well he hit me with his first volley taking out a storage container in the forward gun compartment, reducing my ammo (Red) by one. By return fir, put off by the attack of the pirate, and we shot well short of his aft section. As he turned we realized we had now way to retaliate, as we had expended the last of the ammo. Bing that this Pirate anticipated our every maneuver (You may not retreat.) All we could do was make way to the escape pods, but Captain Strommond refused to leave his ship. Shortly after we cleared the ship the cargo section imploded and took the rest of the ship with it. We did see something large emerged form the bridge area, we can only hope the Captain was on it.

Just curious, did I play this right? If attacked and you are restricted to not being able to retreat and are out of ammo, you loose, as you can't fight back. shake

Thanks again,
Jim Pcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you lose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
yes you lose

Thank You!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.