9 Posts

1st & Goal» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I love this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well, here is the review of the game I have been wanting to play for a long time. Just a bit of information for you about me; Saints fan for over thirty years, have been to see them 10 times at the 'Dome, once over here. my wife suggested getting married on All Saints Day so you can guess that she is a massive fan too so it was with excitement we opened the box and began to play...
COMPONENTS
Simple, effective and well made. I would have liked another defense die and a spare ball but really can't complain. The rulebook was simple to follow and there are a few guides on the board. No problem with any of the components
DOES IT CAPTURE THE THEME
I think it honestly does as there were highs and lows (Highs for my wife, lows for me. Guess who won) and there was an excitement when the play die came up with a penalty or a 'T'.
GAMEPLAY
If you are looking for an in-depth coaches study in this most wonderful of sports, don't get this game. If you are looking for exciting football fun that is quick, easy to learn and has that 'YES, IN YOUR FACE' kind of feeling, then get this game.

WHAT I LIKED
The way the game clock is done, especially with the card burning on running plays. I got frustrated when that was what my wife was doing towards the end, and that's how I should have felt. The play die works well as when the penaly came up, I found myself holding my breath when the referee die was rolled. I also liked that, even if you called the most horrendously wrong play, you could be saved by the play die. I liked that it wasn't a complicated journey through the minefield that is a realistic rulebook and that anyone could play it and maybe pick up a little of the nuances if you took time to explain how penalties could be interpreted and why certain plays will work against others.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
The way my wife got 43 yards on a HB dive because she rolled several breakaways on the play die. The way she pushed me back, again using the the play die to get multiple rolls and get a safety after me trying to get away from my 8 yard line. The way that, towards the end of the game I was on the goal line and she pushed me back numerous times. After which I needed 9 yards for a touchdown, rolled 11 and the X came up and the worst of all, the way when, after getting the ball back near her endzone and stating i would be kicking a fieldgoal if I didn't make the three downs, there was a turnover and she got the ball and waved the remaining offense cards in my face reminding me of the time.
MY OVERALL OPINION
This opinion is shared by my wife. I LOVE THIS GAME! I have a few expansions and am looking forward to using them but this game is a lot of fun and exciting to play. I am a happy man except that because I lost (16-0) in case you were wondering. Yes, my wife shut me out....anyway, because I lost, I have to go and get fish and chips for our supper. This game will not make you a better player or coach, but you will be saying 'In your face', 'It's not fair' and That's just crap' a lot.
I hope you have enjoyed this review but if you haven't, never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to respect the opinion of a fellow Saints fan. I have Pizza Box Football already and really enjoy it (with a couple of house rules), but I think I might pick this up as well. I was concerned about how the clock would be handled because I think it works really well in the PBF advanced game. But the card burning seems like an ingenious idea.

By the way, have you seen Drew's locker room speech after the record last Monday night? I believe it's on YouTube. Check it out if you haven't, but get ready to tear up a little. Here's to another Super Bowl run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cledoux wrote:

By the way, have you seen Drew's locker room speech after the record last Monday night? I believe it's on YouTube. Check it out if you haven't, but get ready to tear up a little. Here's to another Super Bowl run!
Yes I did. The man is just an amazing human being. Hopefully you will enjoy the game, it really is a lot of fun. Geaux Saints

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
WhoDat wrote:

GAMEPLAY
If you are looking for an in-depth coaches study in this most wonderful of sports, don't get this game. If you are looking for exciting football fun that is quick, easy to learn and has that 'YES, IN YOUR FACE' kind of feeling, then get this game.

+1

Frank, can we print this on the back of the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Swanson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am anxiously awaiting this game. I picked up 4 expansions this weekend, but am waiting for the base game to come. I will be starting a middle school football league at the school I teach at. I run a game club one night a week after school, hoping this football game will draw a few more students!!

Later,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
A very enthusiastic review that put the game on my radar! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great honest review. Thanks for taking the time to post the review and a short session report documenting you and your wife's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife wanted to get married on All Saints Day!!! A true die hard of the Who Dat Nation... Sir, I salute you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.