Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris D.
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
My primary play group consists of myself and my two older kids (11 and 9). I want to start playing an LCG with them. AGOT is my first chioce for me personally but Im worried it might be a bit too complex for them. They picked up Dominion pretty quickly for what its worth and they are pretty smart. Also, how long would you say a typical game takes to run? If AGOT is too complex, what do I move to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At that age with GOT it all depends on how well they listen. A typical game takes around 40 minutes and generally though the game is complex, you can usually play without noticing it as it takes specific card interactions to make it apparent. For your first game I'd let them both play together and everyone plays with hand revealed so you can guide them.

If GoT didn't work out I'd go with Warhammer: Invasion. It plays much quicker usually and I think at first it is easier to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Drew. AGOT is a fantastic game but it has a lot of depth and complexity in how the cards and actions play out. I think I would start them on Warhammer Invasion and see how that goes. Plus I think kids would grab onto the theme more since it has orcs and elves and such where Thrones for the most part is just people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play AGOT with my 2 sons who are 12 & 9. They're both able to play very competitively. My 12 year old in particular is rather astute at strategy based games. We've been playing a lot in recent months, & having a great time. There is definitely an initial learning curve, but once you're past that, we've had almost no difficulties.

There is some card art (but not that much) that you may or may not want your sons looking at, but we just used a sharpie marker to do some minor editing. The card art that I've come across so far is surprisingly tame, considering the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Out of interest, which cards did you take the pen to?

Off the top of my head I can't think which ones you might have wanted to edit (though I'm sure it'll all become clear once you jog my memory).

Also, to the OP, I'm afraid that you're asking outside of my area of competence. Sorry I can't offer any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hunt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
At that age with GOT it all depends on how well they listen. A typical game takes around 40 minutes and generally though the game is complex, you can usually play without noticing it as it takes specific card interactions to make it apparent.

Darksbane is much more experienced than I, but I think his time frame is a bit low for players just learning the game. My experience is that a 3 player game with no one that knows how to play/read all the cards will take at least double that. With experience and familiarity with the cards, that time will come down significantly to the 45-60 minute range if everyone knows how to play. Just my experience anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grift wrote:
Out of interest, which cards did you take the pen to?

Off the top of my head I can't think which ones you might have wanted to edit (though I'm sure it'll all become clear once you jog my memory).

Max! Before I answer you question, let me just say "thank you" for all the writing you've done on AGoT here on the Geek. Your material has been AMAZINGLY helpful to me & my family as we've learned this great game. You are the man.

In reply to your question, our sample set of cards is still fairly small...Core Set, Targaryen & Stark deluxe sets. Out of those, the ones I've edited have been almost exclusively cards featuring women with low-cut dresses that I didn't want my sons to see. I'm not at home right now, but if memory serves, it was mostly cards featuring Cersei (both character cards & events/plots, I think). I think there was a Shae core set card I colored on a bit as well. Possibly a Daenarys, but I'm not certain.

In truth, I'm overall very pleased at how few there have been. I spend a lot of time playing games with my family, & I'm glad that this excellent game for the most part meets my standards.

Thanks again, Max. Seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.