Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Raut
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is intended as a series of condensed mini-reviews for people who want to quickly learn the most important aspects of a game
You can find my other reviews in the series here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/96101/my-2-cents

1. Number of games = 27

2. Components

Two large decks of cards, one for drawing destinations and one for building the trains to complete those destinations. And a few hundred rather nice looking plastic trains. A very nice looking thick cardboard board. The insert is also very nice and functional.

3. Rule book

Very easy to learn the game and to teach it. The rule book is very nicely illustrated and concise.

4. Gameplay

You play on a board with the map of Europe. You draw destination cards and your goal is to connect those 2 cities with a series of connecting trains. To build the trains you draw cards of certain colors that match the connections. One addition to Ticket to Ride Europe are Stations, if someone 'steals' your connection and you have no way of reaching your destination, you use them to borrow someone else's trains(with a loss of VP)

5. Complexity

Very simple game, can be played by anyone from small kids up to grandparents. The game turns are flowing, it has some tough decisions sometimes but it's not prone to AP.

6.Luck factor

Medium. It has a nice balance of strategy and luck, just enough that even new players have a chance to win but the more experienced players and the ones with better strategy still have an edge.

7.Player interaction

Medium. This one depends on the number of players and the randomness of the destination cards. With less players there's a smaller chance of blocking someone else's connections (or be blocked). Even with 5 players you can draw destinations in such a manner that you never block each other. However usually, with 5 there's a lot of blocking and in every game you can go out of your way to block someone even if it's not on your route(less useful than the original Ticket to Ride where you didn't have Stations)

8. Recommended for (number of players) / Replay value

This one I think works best with 5 players, there's more competition and more player interaction. The replay value comes from the many, many destination cards and it being a light game. The final board will never look the same, although the process is very much the same: you draw train cards, you play them, when you complete some/all destination cards you draw more

9. Pros

-a game that can be played with anyone, great game to introduce people to boardgames
-right amount of strategy, luck and player interaction for a gateway game
-practical use: you learn the map of Europe really well
-very nice and quality components

10. Cons

-light game, too much luck for some people
-a lot of card shuffling because as you play the train cards, the cards of the same color will be clumped up together

11. Other considerations

It's the only multiplayer game that I would play anytime, I'd recommend playing and expect it will never change. Great game to introduce players to boardgames, and I play it a lot even with gamers.

12. Rating 10/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of the Ticket series for over 3 players, IMHO. Nordic being the other one for 2-3, but one of the other good things about Europe is that it's a MUCH gentler game for non-combatants. With the expansion cards it hits the table here more than any other Ticket game, even with just 2 players, as the my co-housers are of the kinder gentler species. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. My wife and I really enjoy all of the TtR games. We prefer to play this with 4, but 2 will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of a great game.
I´m my humble oppinion I think Ticket to Ride is a masterpiece as it summarizes my belief that a clever strategy game can also be simple, fun and playable with everyone in the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
We played it with 6 yesterday. I borrowed a train set from the Nordic Countries game and removed 5 trains from each colour (so 40 trains per player). Worked pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review with charm.

Quote:
-a lot of card shuffling because as you play the train cards, the cards of the same color will be clumped up together

What we do is separate discarded cards into four decks throughout the gameplay, then we just put the decks together when they are needed and hey-presto no need to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
What we do is separate discarded cards into four decks throughout the gameplay...

Good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart L
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
What we do is separate discarded cards into four decks throughout the gameplay, then we just put the decks together when they are needed and hey-presto no need to shuffle.
I still reckon you need to shuffle, since you want to randomise the order - but there's less need to be quite so thorough in your shuffling this way. (And that's the way I do it too. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.