The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Core Set Decks Viability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi all! I'm sure this has been already asked, but my google-fu seems to be sucking this morning.

I received the core set for Christmas, and after reading the rules I was interested in going through each of the scenarios with each of the starter decks. I know that they aren't tournament legal, but are they viable for getting through the harder scenarios on their own? I understand I can mix them, but thought this might give me a good feel for how the spheres differ.

I figure this would give me some good length out of the core set before I jump into the adventure packs.

Also, is the only reason I need a second core set for 3-4 players so that I have 60 card sphere decks and extra threat counters? I thought about playing the first scenario with 3 others today, each of using a different starter deck.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing through the easy scenario with each monosphere deck is viable, though the tactics deck is tough because of the difficulty in questing.

You may be able to beat the Anduin scenario with a couple of the decks.

The hardest scenario is difficult to beat solitaire even if you mix two spheres.

Yes, a second core set allows you to build bigger decks and gives you the extra threat counters for a four player game. You can play four player with just one core set using two die as threat counters or a pen and paper. I suppose the biggest problem playing four player with one core is that each player would only have one Gandalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
VTSvsAlucard wrote:
Hi all! I'm sure this has been already asked, but my google-fu seems to be sucking this morning.

I received the core set for Christmas, and after reading the rules I was interested in going through each of the scenarios with each of the starter decks. I know that they aren't tournament legal, but are they viable for getting through the harder scenarios on their own? I understand I can mix them, but thought this might give me a good feel for how the spheres differ.

I figure this would give me some good length out of the core set before I jump into the adventure packs.

Also, is the only reason I need a second core set for 3-4 players so that I have 60 card sphere decks and extra threat counters? I thought about playing the first scenario with 3 others today, each of using a different starter deck.

Happy New Year everyone!

The other reason people get a 2nd (or 3rd!) core set is to have three copies of each card. FFG, with its Machiavellian marketing acumen included just one or two copies of some very powerful cards in the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand why you want to play with a single team.

I always play with 2 mono parties (so far) as if it's a 2 player game, and draw 2 cards accordingly for the baddies. It's a much richer experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I always play with 2 mono parties (so far) as if it's a 2 player game, and draw 2 cards accordingly for the baddies. It's a much richer experience.

Indeed. I was about to give up on continuing with this game until I played 'two-handed' (although actually playing with another player or two is even better). This game is designed to be played with multiple spheres participating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hawk
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hugin wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Indeed. I was about to give up on continuing with this game until I played 'two-handed' (although actually playing with another player or two is even better). This game is designed to be played with multiple spheres participating

I can't agree with this comment enough! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Indeed. I was about to give up on continuing with this game until I played 'two-handed' (although actually playing with another player or two is even better). This game is designed to be played with multiple spheres participating.
You do 'cheat' a little playing it that way, though. In a proper 2-player game, you are not supposed to discuss the cards you have, etc. Playing solo 2-handed it is very difficult to avoid using the knowledge that you have of the 'other' player's cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Each of the monosphere decks can beat the easiest scernio, even on the easy one you will realize what each deck can and can not do.

The second scenario I think only spirit and lore have a shot, maybe leadership involving sneak attacking gandolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Hugin wrote:
philmcd wrote:

You do 'cheat' a little playing it that way, though. In a proper 2-player game, you are not supposed to discuss the cards you have, etc. Playing solo 2-handed it is very difficult to avoid using the knowledge that you have of the 'other' player's cards.

Nah... it's about having a fun experience, and it's not as if it makes the game EASY to beat... the first scenario is just for learning the game anyway... the rest are still tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing this game non-stop since getting it for Christmas. Have won with each monosphere deck against the easiest starter scenario, but I agree that even mixing a deck, playing solo misses out some great aspects of the game, such as the "ranged" attribute. So when playing solo I play as two players.

A friend told me of a variant whereby in solo play, attributes like ranged have a variant ability (to attack enemy in the staging area) but Guardian??

As has been said elsewhere, this game seems designed for 2 player play... and (genuine) solo seems to me a bolt-on- whereas playing as two players solo, seems the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.