Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I bought Thunderstone recently, and due to scheduling I need to figure out the rules on my own (normally I like to learn from someone who already knows).

So I apologise for the noob questions/clarifications, but your help would be appreciated.

Firstly, a clarification...

A heroes' strength determines what equipment can be carried, but also is the number of attack damage when in battle?

If a hero is unable to equal or beat the health of a monster, then that hero is defeated? (what if it is hero and two militia... are all 3 defeated?)

A couple of quick questions.... (again, thanks so much)

1) Let's say I have a hero with strength 6, and I also have 2 militia, each of which provide +1 attack... when I am attacking a monster, do I combine all of this and treat it as one party?

Or, would the militia be killed by a monster because they are weaker? Thus leaving the hero to fight it out alone?

2) If a monster requires that you can only kill it with magic, let's say you attacked it with a fighter, and also used a spell or piece of equipment that gave magic attack, would that qualify? Or would the combined magic total have to be higher than the monster's health?

Again, apologies for the basic questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Final clarification...

I am curious as to why anyone would go into a dungeon and fight a monster and then lose.... surely the calculations would be done in advance before deciding whether or not to go into the dungeon in the first place?

* I am aware that in some scenarios there are benefits to being defeated... such as replacing a very tough monster, or removing militia from your deck, but excluding those exceptions, I don't see why it would ever happen.

Again, I haven't seen a full game played, so I may be missing something obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
Hi all,

I bought Thunderstone recently, and due to scheduling I need to figure out the rules on my own (normally I like to learn from someone who already knows).

So I apologise for the noob questions/clarifications, but your help would be appreciated.

Firstly, a clarification...

A heroes' strength determines what equipment can be carried, but also is the number of attack damage when in battle?

If a hero is unable to equal or beat the health of a monster, then that hero is defeated? (what if it is hero and two militia... are all 3 defeated?)

A couple of quick questions.... (again, thanks so much)

1) Let's say I have a hero with strength 6, and I also have 2 militia, each of which provide +1 attack... when I am attacking a monster, do I combine all of this and treat it as one party?

Or, would the militia be killed by a monster because they are weaker? Thus leaving the hero to fight it out alone?

2) If a monster requires that you can only kill it with magic, let's say you attacked it with a fighter, and also used a spell or piece of equipment that gave magic attack, would that qualify? Or would the combined magic total have to be higher than the monster's health?

Again, apologies for the basic questions.

These are official answers:

No, a hero's strength only determines how much they can carry. Attack Value is written in the text boxes underneath the images on hero cards, weapons, spells, etc. It will say something like: "ATTACK +1" or "MAGIC ATTACK +2" as depicted below:

Defeat of a hero doesn't really exist in the game. If you are unable to beat a monster with your combined attack, the monster retreats to the bottom of the Dungeon Deck.

1) You would combine all of the Attack. The Strength has nothing to do with Attacking. All Attack values (The +1 from each of the militia and the +ATTACK written on any heroes you are using) would be combined. The "Defeat" you are talking about doesn't exist, and I don't know where you are getting it from.

2) The combined magic total has to be greater than the health of the monster.

All of these questions are covered extensively in the rulebook if you read a little more carefully. Thanks for the questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
Final clarification...

I am curious as to why anyone would go into a dungeon and fight a monster and then lose.... surely the calculations would be done in advance before deciding whether or not to go into the dungeon in the first place?

* I am aware that in some scenarios there are benefits to being defeated... such as replacing a very tough monster, or removing militia from your deck, but excluding those exceptions, I don't see why it would ever happen.

Again, I haven't seen a full game played, so I may be missing something obvious.

The reasons you gave are the reasons to go in and lose to a monster. You could also remove a monster which you believe an opponent can beat and is worth a lot of VP, or you could have gone in hoping to use Dungeon Effects to draw cards in order to be able to beat the monster. If you were to draw the right cards, you might win, but if you draw the wrong cards, would lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ryan,

Thanks so much (I am a big fan of you work BTW).

This helps a lot... I was counting the strength towards the attack, which explains why I was finding things a little easy (blush).

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.