5 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Ship combat - a problem? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is quite a general question I'm putting out there, but as someone whose come into 2nd edition without having played the 1st I wondered if anyone already had ideas/fixes/house rules concerning changing up the usage of ships, in particular ship combat?

I just find it to be a lot less tactical and engaging than land-based combat. In particular on the Martell/Baratheon/Stark side of the map its very stagnant, the sea borders being so rigid with no room to manoeuvre around people. Am I the only one who feels this way? And is there any reasonable way to fix this that people have tried - map changes, rule changes, whatever? Or does the nature of the game require it to remain the way it is?

It doesn't bug me that much, I can totally live with the game the way it is. Just thinking about how to make a good game better! Only I thought its something that doesn't feel as dynamic as the rest of the game and might only need a slight change to improve my experience. Thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually have MORE combat on the East side of the board! Stark and Martell gang up on Baratheon, or Baratheon and Tyrell gang up on Martell.

Who is trying to "get around" whom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
We usually have MORE combat on the East side of the board! Stark and Martell gang up on Baratheon, or Baratheon and Tyrell gang up on Martell.

Who is trying to "get around" whom?

I have to say, I've not played as many games with Martell as usually my group only goes up to 4 or 5 players, its not so bad when they're involved.

What I mean is lets say Baratheon wants to attack Stark, its literally Stark ship numbers vs. Baratheon ship numbers (usually 3 vs 3) and so the only factor in combat is House Cards and fiefdoms (compared to land combat where there can be 3 or 4 support orders involved, varying strength pieces, etc.). Unless casualties are inflicted Stark will simply retreat into his Port/north sea area and then attack him back the next turn. I've found in my games that on that side of the map people would rather not risk losing for fear of having their navy wiped out or wasting useful House Cards, so they all either support or raid.

Things are slightly more elegant on the Western side where three areas can all interact in one combat. In a sense, if Tyrell or Lannister wanted to invade the North, they can (attempt to) bypass Greyjoy. The same is not true of the East. Does that make sense..? I'm interested in a way to make ship combat feel more dynamic and less predictable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
joshsmith80 wrote:
To be honest I often build a ship and a footmen every single turn so that i can dominate the seas. Yes I get a little light on land but there is nothing better than raiding capitals from using their special consolidate power tokens to recruit units. This also allows you to build up alliances who you can trust because if they stab you in the back and take a region you can nail them for the rest of the game!!!

I don't deny that ships are fun, I love how much impact they can have on the land they are adjacent to That's why I just wish there was more emphasis on ship combat and making it work differently to its land counterpart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.