United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and myself bought my brother carcasonne for christmas. He brought it around today with his 2 other christmas game survive and tobago.

We started with carcasonne first and we were hooked. The rules were very easy to explain, taking less than 5 minutes, and the scoring was simple enough. We didnt play with farms for the first game and it went really well. After a couple of turns each we realised the best way to play, how to score, and how to work with each other and against each other.

I think I might have won the first game by a small margin but everyones scores were very close.

The second game we did play with farms. Tracy blasted away at the start with 3 abbeys (or wherever it is the monks live) right next to each other, and although my brother and I did try and catch up tracy won with lots of small scoring castle and roads. I think my mistake may have been aiming too big, as although i got a 16 long road and a city i scored 24 points off I think medium sized areas might be the way to go for the future. The farms were ok but didnt really add much to the game, the main concern whether its worth taking your guy out for the rest of the game.

I dont think we will need any expansions yet and it is great to find a game that all 3 of us like, as we all like very different styles of games and this should mean other people will like it also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
The monks inhabit cloisters. The only reason I point it out is because a later expansion introduces a separate, similar feature called an abbey, so it could be confusing.

It's nice to hear you had a good experience. Next time you play, try this: hold off on farming until about mid-game, and then start laying farmers like crazy wherever you can get 3+ cities in a field. I often find that I finish the game with spare meeples, and if I'd used them in the fields, even to pick up 9, 6, or even 3 points, I get more points than I would have, if I'd gone for incomplete cities or roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put down one farmer as early in the game as possible. This establishes your ownership of the one or perhaps one of two fields at the beginning of the game. The other players will probably find it difficult to sneak in two of their own farmers to take it away from you.

Then, like Scott said, hold off putting down any more farmers until mid-game. I've had a pretty good success rate with this general approach, but your mileage may vary.

Also, try taking advantage of as many "football" cities as you can for a quick and dirty 4 points. They add up fast, you keep you follower reserve well stocked, and they are worth 3 points like any other city for you well-placed farmers. Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elocution Safari wrote:
Also, try taking advantage of as many "football" cities as you can for a quick and dirty 4 points. They add up fast, you keep you follower reserve well stocked, and they are worth 3 points like any other city for you well-placed farmers. Happy Gaming!

Is this a revised scoring system? Sounds different from mine.

Edit: Not to worry - have found the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elocution Safari wrote:
I usually put down one farmer as early in the game as possible. This establishes your ownership of the one or perhaps one of two fields at the beginning of the game. The other players will probably find it difficult to sneak in two of their own farmers to take it away from you.

Well, I think this strategy CAN work, but be careful. Sometimes, others are successful at minimizing that one farm... and then you've lost a precious meeple for the entire game! It can even happen without others trying to do it! (At least, that's my experience...)

My thoughts? Hold off on farmers, like Scott said, unless you KNOW that others are "early farmers"... then you may have little choice.

Actually, "getting on" someone else's farm is not always as difficult as it sounds! My son seems to have mastered it!!

I also agree that after the "middle" of the game, you really should start looking for opportunities to place a farmer in a "lucrative" spot. If you wait too long, it will backfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.