Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Burgess
Canada
Oxford Mills
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi,

My son and I played our first game under the revised rules this afternoon.

I was the British, and I opted for a turn 1 settle action of Halifax. Wow. What a big mistake!

Before I knew it, I was reeling under a French siege, scrambling for money just to keep the siege out of the blue (he was trading like a man possessed).

Making matters more dire was my inability to get the flippin' Halifax card out of my deck! When I was finally able to governor the cursed thing, I realized that meant that I'd have to resettle the devilish port to be able to fortify it (OOOPS!)

That didn't matter, because the French won the siege anyhow. The only saving grace was that they didn't have a settler to take the location.

I eventually got Halifax and fortified it, but my son had (cannilly) switched tactics and settle-rushed for the win. By the time he won, I'd taken Louisburg (easily, actually) and been defeated at the walls of Quebec once.

Somewhere in there, he'd managed to raid Boston into non-existence!

He even managed to settle Michillimackinac, which was good fun, if only to get to say the name ... a lot.

The lesson I'm taking away from the game is this: don't put yourself in siege range until absolutely necessary, and once you do, make sure you've got your war chest stoked. I suppose that this isn't an entirely new thing, but I think that the revised rules heighten its importance. I spent my entire game on my heels.

Cheers,
Darcy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just settling Halifax is risky now. They can raid it from Port Royal.

If your first move is settle Halifax, and they grab Coureurs de Bois, what do you do? Its scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Burgess
Canada
Oxford Mills
Ontario
flag msg tools
I believe that next time, I will opt for a more conservative 'fortify what I've got' strategy.

I also want to move up the Hudson a lot more now...

Suddenly, the connections on the board, and the ambiguities surrounding them seem to matter more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Yeah, just settling Halifax is risky now. They can raid it from Port Royal.

If your first move is settle Halifax, and they grab Coureurs de Bois, what do you do? Its scary.

You get Indians or Rangers. Your Rangers or the Halifax card are going to show up before their CdB. But I agree with the sentiment; British first turn settle of Halifax is untenable. They probably need to get Rangers/Indians or a Fort for the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been taking $6 for my first turn. It cant be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg A.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
eggo von eggo wrote:
He even managed to settle Michillimackinac, which was good fun, if only to get to say the name ... a lot.

Since you're from Ontario you maybe already know this, but make sure you pronounce it "mishilimackinaw." The final c is silent.

It's a living history museum now: Colonial Michilimackinac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

No, it's probably not bad.

Previously, the rush was to settle Halifax before the French, but now that's not so important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

Previously, the rush was to settle Halifax before the French, but now that's not so important.

As the French now, I am kindof hoping my opponent will settle Halifax, so that I can immediately besiege it and work toward super efficient fur trades. Their ability to defend it is much reduced when they cant reserve Pemaquid and St Marys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowPawn wrote:

Since you're from Ontario you maybe already know this, but make sure you pronounce it "mishilimackinaw." The final c is silent.

...I just learned something. I was totally mispronouncing this.

However, I did know how to pronounce Fort Duquesne correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
out4blood wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

As the French now, I am kindof hoping my opponent will settle Halifax, so that I can immediately besiege it and work toward super efficient fur trades. Their ability to defend it is much reduced when they cant reserve Pemaquid and St Marys!

British can draft governor, dump the 2 cards, and reserve governor. It takes one extra action but it allows British proper use of their reserve if they want and they already have governor queued up to dump any bad cards they might later acquire.

The action cost is made up by not bothering to draft home support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

Yeah. I'd have to play it out more, but I feel the same way. I think Halifax is still a must-settle for French, however. Gives you an extra ship, which means more mil and more piracy, which is now slightly better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
However, I did know how to pronounce Fort Duquesne correctly.

Yeah, that one can be tough. It's pronounced pitts-berg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
YellowPawn wrote:
eggo von eggo wrote:

It's a living history museum now: Colonial Michilimackinac

In American: Mickey Milly Mack-in-ack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the new rules a lot. I won as the French although my girlfriend isn't really an aggressive player. A few notes:

The new Home Support rule coupled with the shuffling of the discard nerfs the card immensely. I actually like this a lot and am glad to see the change. That card is too damn good as it is. The new reshuffle rule also helps the intendant a bit, because if you plan it right and run out of cards in your draw without shuffling you have the entire deck at your disposal.

I like the raiding further rule as well, because there wasn't too much of a point to raiding as it is. It gets blocked by fortifications AND their cards, the location cards, or other cards that are sufficient in raiding themselves. Previous games didn't see much Indian draft besides a few attempts to ambush, but with this rule my girlfriend drafted a few indians and raided Quebec from me! (Kennebec is now essentially useless for the British player.)

The location card into the reserve is also a good rule, because now the governor is a good draft. No more ghetto governors which is a good thing. I actually USED my reserve for its function of storing military in prep for a siege.

All in all I loved the changes, though the French will be quite hard to stop now. British still have a bunch of good things at their disposal though. I think we may see more fighting towards Duquesne and Detroit, as well as up the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.