Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that cities grow if they have received every good that is produced on the board. Let's say it is very early in era A. If the players have only chosen rice companies so far, does a city grow if it only receives a rice? I would think so because at that point, only rice is actually being produced even though spice companies are on the board, but still unclaimed. I just want to make sure I understand "every good on the board" involves only production companies that have been acquired or whether it includes all companies on the board, even those unclaimed. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Only the companies that have been taken by a player are on the board. If both kinds of good are taken in turn one actually affects a game of Indonesia quite extensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to make sure I was playing it right because it can have a big effect on city growth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, it's not like small changes in supply and/or demand can have huge ripple effects on the rest of the game. Oh wait....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
But that won't happen quickly. I mean, if nobody is producing spice yet, a spice company is bound to be picked quickly. In a 3-player game, it might happen that in the first round one city grows out to be size-2, but it would be really rare if it gets a chance to grow even more in round 2. And in a 4-player game, I personally have never seen it happen that only one type of good is produced in round 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
But that won't happen quickly. I mean, if nobody is producing spice yet, a spice company is bound to be picked quickly. In a 3-player game, it might happen that in the first round one city grows out to be size-2, but it would be really rare if it gets a chance to grow even more in round 2.
May I point out that this increases the total capacity of cities on the board by a cool 33% on turn one? While it's true that two growths early is unlikely, even one is a big deal: if it doesn't happen on turn one the board has to develop a fair bit before it happens at all

Quote:
And in a 4-player game, I personally have never seen it happen that only one type of good is produced in round 1.

I'd say 10% of four-player games I've been in. It's more likely if the cities are clustered close together, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
May I point out that this increases the total capacity of cities on the board by a cool 33% on turn one? While it's true that two growths early is unlikely, even one is a big deal: if it doesn't happen on turn one the board has to develop a fair bit before it happens at all

On the other hand, in the games I have been in it is very rare if no city growth has taken place after the second round. So, basically, this just speeds up growth by one turn. Not such a big deal.

But even if it is a big deal, that's good, right? I mean, I very much like the fact that in Indonesia small changes have a large effect on how the game turns out. That keeps it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.