Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes "Second" edition does not always mean "better".

In a nutshell, what are the main differences between the First edition and Second edition of "A Game of Thrones", and which edition do you think is better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7649113#7649113
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceman spiff wrote:

Strange, I did a search and that thread never came up. I would have thought that the key words "Difference" and "between" would have made a hit. Anyway, thanks, that is what I wanted to know. Specifically:

[snipped from other thread]

Here are the changes:
- Unit counts - each house has 5 knights and 2 siege engines, instead of 4 knights and 3 siege engines.
- Setup changed to include various neutral forces tokens.
- Wildling Attack cards added.
- Grarrison token of 2 for each house's starting position.
- Play to 7 castles regardless of player count.
- Wildling threat of 12 triggers an attack.
- Messenger raven allows you to look at the top card in the Wildling Attack deck (OR replace an order).
- Raiding a Consolidate Power order makes the target lose a power token (in addition to the raiding house gaining a token).
- When playing your 7th house card, you get the other 6 cards back, but not that last one played.
- Special raid order can remove a defense order, but NOT 2 orders.
- Special consolidate power order can muster units OR gain power tokens as usual.
- 4 player game is played without Tyrell (instead of without Greyjoy).
- Tides of battle cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering all the complaints about the four player version, has anyone tried a four player variant with tyrell in rather than greyjoy? It might put more pressure on baratheon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are also two new tiebreakers in the victory conditions:
- First tiebreaker is now the player with the most Strongholds wins.
- Final tiebreaker is the player with the highest position on the Iron Throne track wins, i.e. no more draws.

I find the new first tiebreaker a bit questionable. Strongholds are not evenly spread on the map, and it seems that Stark and Martell might get a bit of a raw deal here (relatively farther away from other Strongholds). I don't really see why it was necessary to include this tiebreaker, given the other tiebreakers already work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
- Messenger raven allows you to look at the top card in the Wildling Attack deck (OR replace an order).

Messenger raven allows you to look at and, if you wish, send to the bottom the top card in the Wildling deck.

So it's even more powerful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mandark
msg tools
badge
Spot the looney!
mbmbmbmbmb
i think i have found 1 single difference on the map between the 2nd-edition map and the 1st-edition "Clash of Kings"-map:

in the 2nd edition "Three Towers" and "Prince's Pass" are now connected by a land-border, while in the 1st edition, they were completely devided by a river and thus not connected.

has anyone spotted any other differences on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another difference:

Quote:
Adjust Wildlings Track: If the Night’s Watch are
victorious, immediately reset the Wildling Threat token to "0" on
the Wildlings track. If the wildlings are victorious, however, the
Wildling Threat token is only moved back two positions (to a
minimum of "0").

The original rules always resets the track to 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spence
United States
Contoocook
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also another difference I noticed, the initial set-up for Greyjoy is different. One of his ships is placed in Ironman's Bay and another ship is now placed in Pykes port, instead of 2 boats in Ironman's Bay. (this should help Lannister)

Also in a 3 person game some of the areas on the board contain Neutral Force tokens that are marked as insurmountable areas which cannot be entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chounpanh
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
hancock.tom wrote:
Considering all the complaints about the four player version, has anyone tried a four player variant with tyrell in rather than greyjoy? It might put more pressure on baratheon.

In our games with 4 player we have just house ruled that the south is insurmountable and that has fixed a lot of issues - Baratheon doesn't have such an easy time winning the game by going south and is forced into conflicts with the other 3 houses. It's been working very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.