John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a fantasy themed game that is good solo or co-op with two players. So far I've bought Arkham Horror, Thunderstone Dragonspire, and the Legend of Drizzt.

Ideally this would be a game that would satisfy my fantasy craving for 30+ playthroughs with some more legs if I wanted to include expansions.

If you could only add one of these games to your collection which would it be and why?

Ghost Stories - Seems like a fun co-op game, would it be fun solo as well?

Lord of the Rings LCG - A lot of people seem to like it, concerned it only comes with 3 scenarios.

Defenders of the Realm -
This looks fun, seems more strategy than adventure.

Runebound - Gets high praise for solo play when you use the many solo variants.

Mage Knight - Expensive, not many reviews out.

Fortune and Glory the Cliffhanger Game - Another expensive game, will it hold up to repeated playthroughs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
These are all on my radar, but the only one I currently have is Ghost Stories. I am enjoying it as solo, 2p, or 4p. I don't really care for the specific 1-3 player rules, though, so I will always play it with all 4 characters. I have both expansions, but I haven't broken them out yet. I'm eager to try them, but I'm still pretty satisfied with just the base game after about 10 or so plays. I want to spend a little more time mastering it before I change it up. It's a very tense, tight game that is easy to learn but difficult to win. I think Defenders is going to be my next choice, but the price point is a little intimidating at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've played is FaG (twice, two-player cooperative). It looks good so far, but for that sort of money I do want a lot of replayability; the various modes are a good sign (solo, multiplayer, etc), and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I own all of these games except Mage Knight. Defenders of the Realm IMO has the most replay value. It took my wife and I almost 20 plays to win our first game. It's the kind of game that makes you want to set it up again right after playing and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally would choose Runebound. Love the game. With Expansions and all, I have yet to tire of it after 5 years of playing.

However, for most Defenders of the Realm probably has the most replayability.

I would probably shy away from Lord of the Rings LCG...I burned through that pretty darn quick for the core set, less then 15 plays I'd say before burnuout struck. Even with expansions it didn't help much...at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two you ask, Legend of Drizzt probably has more legs, though I enjoy Cadwallon more myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, we've got similar interests in games

I play solo most of the time, though I can get my wife to play the easier games and get out to a board game group sometimes.

I loved LOTR LCG at first. It is a neat game since it is designed from the ground up to be co-op and possibly solo. However, the expansions didn't change the gameplay quite as much as I had hoped (at least that's my feeling). Still, the base set isn't that much $$$ compared to some of your other choices. I think you would enjoy it at least a bit, especially if you like the subject matter.

Defenders of the Realm is an awesome game. It does seem a bit overpriced, but I've gotten my money's worth, that's for sure.

I don't really care for the Castle Ravenloft adventure type games. I liked them at first but found them to be too random to be fun. Sometimes it would be easy, and other times I'd get wiped out in 2 turns! Way too much chance with the way things keep beating on you.

Runebound has been my favorite game in terms of feeling like an adventure where you "level up", get stronger, and have fun being in a fantasy world, however I got Mage Knight for Christmas and just love it. It is different from Runebound, but so much deeper.

It is heavy though, but if you are playing Arkham you already know how complicated board games can get! Runebound is more light and I can play that with my wife and she really enjoys it. Plus the expansions out there really add to the variety and it is a lot cheaper than some of the other choices.

Both Runebound and Mage Knight offer systems where you get abilities that increase your power for certain things, but Runebound includes dice whereas Mage Knight is based on you having a deck of cards you draw from, that you improve throughout the game. Mage Knight is more about planning and making the most of what resources you have, and Runebound is more about rolling the dice and holding your breath.

You could watch the video for Mage Knight where they take you through a sample round, should give you a better feel for how the game works.

I hope that helps,

Matt

EDIT: Oh, Ghost Stories is a great game too, but boy is it a brain burner. When I play many of those other games, I can sit down, crack a beer and listen to music at the same time. With Ghost Stories, I need complete silence and concentration or I get obliterated! I love it but am not always up for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Ghost Stories - I still want this game but it's currently sold out everywhere.

Lord of the Rings - I'll pick this up if there's a good sale, I'm not a big fan of buying adventure packs every month.

Defenders of the Realm - Keeping an eye on this one, high price vs. quality of components and art work nudged it off the top of my list.

Runebound - Was either this or Mage Knight to satisfy my adventure cravings. Seems like FFG is allowing Runebound to fade into the sunset, it's getting hard to find a lot of the small box expansions for it.

Mage Knight - I decided to get Mage Knight, I was able to find it for under $60 shipped so I felt I was getting a good deal. Comes with a lot of high quality components, a lot of good word of mouth, and ostensibly good replay value. I'm also excited to see what expansions might bring to the game.

Fortune and Glory the Cliffhanger Game - Looks fun, still not convinced of the current price vs. value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.