Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kosmowski
United States
Syracuse / Utica area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... I want to collect the entire Europa series and have a space to set it up. Regarding the second, maybe I need to look at tax auctions for warehouse buildings.

So far I have three of the games in the series, haven't had the chance to play any of them and am unlikely to stumble across opponents for them any time soon. Of course, by the time we are debt-free, our wee lass will be a bit less wee and this just might be a way for daddy and daughter to have hours and hours of bonding time.

Part of me thinks it is silly to collect the Europa series just to have them. On the other hand, I guess there are crazier things to collect. Has anyone else here collected a series realistically more for the sake of owning it than playing it? Meaning that being able to play it would be great and ideal, but you knew deep down that it was going to be unlikely to do more than a possible solitaire run and you bought the series mostly just to have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
mek42 wrote:
... would be great and ideal, but you knew deep down that it was going to be unlikely to do more than a possible solitaire run and you bought the series mostly just to have it.

Eh? I buy my games to solo. If I can find opponents,
that's all well and good, but that ain't my reason for
owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the "Fleet" series from Victory Games for me. I have Sixth Fleet, 7th Fleet, and 2nd Fleet, and I still need 3rd and 5th Fleets! I have played the games before (mostly Sixth Fleet), but I doubt I will ever play them all, let alone link them for some kind of global campaign. Still, I'd like those last two just for completeness sake (I just haven't been able to bring myself to pay the going prices for them on eBay, since in the back of my mind I know I will probably not even play them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
...the complete War in Europe (SPI). Played the War in the East (2nd ed) once, but never set up the West. Am also looking for a small warehouse.

Is it true that when one has all the maps set up, one finds that it's based on a 1:2 ratio with the size of the actual conflict?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never bought a game thinking ' l hope to be able to play this solo someday'. I have bought games thinking 'l would like to play this and one day l might meet someone else who will too', knowing full well that none of my current gaming opponents will try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes you happy then go for it! Consider also your partners sacrifice, many hours of you not being there, the cost in money etc. Many people buy games and they never get played and I have to admit that sometimes I buy an expansion wondering if it will ever hit the table but at the time I am just wound up in the hype.

There is something that I see in BGG every now and again which makes me cringe and that is men (It is always men) who try to force wargaming on their kids. Children go through a phase of playing games and if your lucky enough to get them to play a wargame then that's great but do not force them to play or push your games at them as the end result will probably pushing them further away from wargaming. The most my girls ever played was Memoir and I know some children do play and love wargames. I think these parents are very lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Probably the "Fleet" series from Victory Games for me. I have Sixth Fleet, 7th Fleet, and 2nd Fleet, and I still need 3rd and 5th Fleets! I have played the games before (mostly Sixth Fleet), but I doubt I will ever play them all, let alone link them for some kind of global campaign. Still, I'd like those last two just for completeness sake (I just haven't been able to bring myself to pay the going prices for them on eBay, since in the back of my mind I know I will probably not even play them).

I wouldn't worry too much if you missed out on 5th...it had real order of battle problems...I reckon you've got the best of the series right there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kosmowski
United States
Syracuse / Utica area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
There is something that I see in BGG every now and again which makes me cringe and that is men (It is always men) who try to force wargaming on their kids. Children go through a phase of playing games and if your lucky enough to get them to play a wargame then that's great but do not force them to play or push your games at them as the end result will probably pushing them further away from wargaming. The most my girls ever played was Memoir and I know some children do play and love wargames. I think these parents are very lucky.

No worries here. I'd rather have an interested opponent in Catan than an opponent in a wargame who likens the task to hard labor in the Siberian gulag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
usrlocal wrote:
I'd be very happy to have War in the Pacific (first edition) and The Campaign for North Africa in my collection, even though I know I'd never play them in their entirety.

I'd feel compelled to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
I'd be very happy to have War in the Pacific (first edition) and The Campaign for North Africa in my collection, even though I know I'd never play them in their entirety.

The logistics is too much work. Not in executing logistical operations on the game board; the work is in doing estimates of supportability/feasibility in calculating logistical sustainability of various course of action in the game. If I had a staff to do that for me, I could handle it. Gave up on the campaign games of both games (and sold them both) because it dawned on me that this would be the only way to play these titles well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my name's John and I'm a gamecollectaholic....

It is a weird thing this collecting bug that so many of us have isn't it? I've done it myself many times, bought a game with the self justification that this "fills a gap in my collection" or completes a particular set or some other such nonsense. Yes I'm sure I'd like to have Camping in North Africa (sic) on my shelves just to say I have it - obviously I'd never get round to playing it. The entire Europa Series? Why not? I could at least lovingly spread out the maps and maybe browse the rules - but play it? - almost certainly not. ASL with all modules and every published scenario? - bring it on - I'll just move into a larger house for storage space, even though this one stretches my means to the limit!

Actually I have resolved, more than a year ago now, as I was re-engaging with the hobby, to become less of a collector and more of a player. I've joined a couple of gaming groups and do spend more time now playing than buying - which wasn't always the case. I've also come to recognise certain kinds of games (like the aforementioned) which there is really no point in me buying. I've recognised that my time on this planet is finite - as is my disposable income, not to mention available shelf space. I have become somewhat more disciplined in my approach - though let me add straight away that the bug is not completely eradicated! I have even parted with a number of games - some of them quite rare and OOP - I get a pang of regret when I think of some of those games - but then again - as I never played them, I hope the new owner is getting them to the table.

I think I'm curing myself of this collector demon - but every visit to the local games shop and every log on to this esteemed site, always tests me to the limit (and sometimes beyond!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for magazine games and games I get for design features I am interested in seeing, I intend to play every game I buy - maybe not right away, but someday. I have a slew of larger games that require more space than I have available and will have to wait until I find the room.

That being said, I do tend to get caught up in the series games - especially if the series games can be linked together, or expand on the basic game like Europa, or the GDW World War III series.

Aside from that, the greatest appeal of a series is the fact that I don't have to spend valuable gaming time reading a new rule book for every game I want to play. I find that as I've grown older, I have less patience with long complicated rules, and put off learning and playing games that have them. With a series, however, such a time investment means that many games will be playable, as opposed to just one. Better use of my limited time by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ericmwalters wrote:
calandale wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

The logistics is too much work. Not in executing logistical operations on the game board; the work is in doing estimates of supportability/feasibility in calculating logistical sustainability of various course of action in the game. If I had a staff to do that for me, I could handle it. Gave up on the campaign games of both games (and sold them both) because it dawned on me that this would be the only way to play these titles well....

excel macros are your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hipshot wrote:

excel macros are your friends staff.

fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.