Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night 5 of us got together and played a couple games of Panic Station for the first time. The first game was mostly a learning game, the host played timid, we avoided spawning very many parasites, and the humans easily took out the hive. So we set in to really take it on for the second game.

The following is what we forensically pieced together as to what happened during the game. The infection status's I reveal here were not known until the end of the game...

Playing was Purple, Orange, Green, Blue, and myself as White. We began spreading out and searching, and on his first search Purple drew the Host card. He decided to, rather than play timid like the Host did in the first game, he was going to go all in and try to infect as many people as possible as quickly as possible. So his first trades with Orange, Green, and Blue were all with his infection cards, and all were blocked with gas cans. During this I must admit I was not paying much attention, still thumbing through the rules a bit, so I missed what exactly was happening.

Green, having blocked the infection card with a gas can, was not infected... however, for some reason he thought he WAS infected! This was right after we spent several minutes joking about the various ways a gas can would be able to block an infection. So, Green set out to infect others and ended up infecting Orange with his hypochondriac virus.

Purple (the Host) had found a couple ammo cards and decided to go with plan B, kill all the humans. His Android walked into the room and gunned down Green's human. Green is thoroughly confused, as Purple had just "infected" him, and then gunned him down.

At this point I thought surely Purple or Green were infected as they were going at each other. Purple was acting funny, spawning several parasites, so I took a chance and shot at Purple's Android, reducing him to 1 HP. I had to do a trade with Orange, who I thought was still safe. I saved my gas card and traded her an item, and I ended up being infected! Ok, so I know Orange is infected, as well as one of Purple or Green, or both.

While all this is going on Blue, the only non-infected player left at this point, is watching everyone else going crazy on each other. His characters are laying low and cautiously searching.

The Hive is finally placed and we do a heat scan. Red-Red-Red-Red-Blue. There is only one non-infected human left! Purple (the Host) is completely confused because all 3 of his initial infection attempts had been blocked! I was still confused about who the remaining non-infected person was, and for some reason, even though she had infected me, I thought it might be Orange, so I took a shot at her! Talk about paranoid! We finally deduced that Blue was the last non-infected, and he made a valiant effort at the end... but every parasite was on the board, and he just couldn't muster the needed gas cans while avoiding infection.

After we pieced together what happened after the game we had a good laugh... much of it at Green's expense, but mostly at the just the crazy circumstances in the game. It was quite an experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! I had a similar experience in a session of The Resistance- Five were playing, and I and my daughter were the spies. I was the leader, and so I chose myself and my wife to go on the first mission- I knew I was the only spy on the mission, and I decided to vote for the mission to succeed in order to play it cool. Imagine my surprise when the mission failed! I quickly accused my wife of being the spy. Her embarrassment over the mistake was misinterpreted by the others as guilt and the spies ultimately won!

This kind of thing can really be fun when it occasionally happens. Sounds like you all had fun with it. I love your dubbing this the 'hypochondriac' virus. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Are these types of moves legal? It's illegal in Resistance to fail a mission if you are not a spy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are not legal...that's kind of the point...that's what makes it funny...I couldn't say "hey, you can't do that...because you're not a spy...I know, because I am!". So it was either call the game or play it out... I chose to play it out...and it was FUN !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to know if a rule had been inadvertently overlooked or played completely wrong when there is hidden information. In our case Green overlooked that he had blocked the infection, but we didn't know about this oversight until after the game, except for Purple who just played along (not wanting to reveal himself I suppose), which made for a pretty amusing game. It turned out to be a lot of fun, which in the end is what is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I didn't say it wasn't fun. I was just asking about the rules. Anyways thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.