Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am fairly new to wargaming. I'd like to know which is an easier game to learn/teach....this or Paths of Glory. I can handle games like Washington's War and would like to move on to something a little more complex but not too complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both PoG and BtB are Racier games, which means heavy scripting of events, unlike WaWa. I'd suggest Hannibal, because it is excellent and doesn't have the scripting. For The People is good as well, but even more complex IMO than PoG or BtB. I'd say BtB has less exceptions than PoG, although it doesn't have much strategic flexibility. The west is a sideshow to Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little more complex than Washington's War which also plays similarly: Wilderness War

But i don't now if you are interested in the subject matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys....I was thinking of getting the Wilderness War as well and will probably pick that up now as a next step. I appreciate your opinions guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want WW2, check out No Retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpj5010 wrote:
I am fairly new to wargaming. I'd like to know which is an easier game to learn/teach....this or Paths of Glory. I can handle games like Washington's War and would like to move on to something a little more complex but not too complex.

This one is pretty easy to learn as the Axis (although as you progress you will play them better obviously)

The Allies require a real dance of cards to achieve their full potential, all the while trying to stave off an automatic defeat. This game is very assymetrical (not a bad thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
The west is a sideshow to Russia.

Which is historically correct, I'd say.

IMO, BtB is a lot easier to learn than PoG. But then again, I already knew how to play PoG when I first tried BtB, so I may be a bit biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easier than PoG. But it still takes a long time to set up and a long time to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
star observer
Austria
vienna
flag msg tools
mb
i'd say PoG is easier (no mechanised units, no invasions).
long time to set up?
you ever played 'fire in the east'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.