United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
We played our first game last night, mine too. and they didnt fall in Love with the game, they play a lot lot a Game of thrones so this was a bit weird for them. they love that game, i dont have it and they play it with some guy that i can never play with, im debating wheter to just get that game, idk.... I belive this game has serious potential and they will love it, we just need cool guns and SAGS. Scenario one was fine, thats a good word fine, nothing else i hear this game has potential once you add guns and all the fun stuff, but i hope this game can push it.

we wanted to try senario 2 out, so i set it all up, but the confusing duel rule ruined it for us......
I understand how to duel(bluffing of CP) and the line of sight thing. When do you duel? and what are the benefits of having initiative? other than drawing the 5 order tiles first? Please can somebody explain? im sorry im posting so many threads, but ive searched. and i just want to get at least my moneys worth of entertainment

I believe we have played a turn entirely wrong.

We might of played the game wrong also. a turn for us was this.

1. Make sure you have 5 order tiles and 10 CP, if not draw untill you do.
2. chose a character that hasnt been activated already and activate it. ( once all character's have been activated you can activate a previous one)
3. then you assign an order tile. you can assign two or three or whatever you can, just as long as you have the cp to spend, and your character's max cp been isnt over.
4. after that you can do your orders, once your done, discard everything you used and keep the character in activated, until everyone else is activated.

Then its the next player's turn correct?

Please, i really want to get into this game, ive read the rules, watched videos and such. idk....

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. you can assign only one order tile per activation.

4. you do not discard anything. You keep everything in play, because you can use another order from the same tile during another activation...
Then your opponent activate one character, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you should re-read the rules - e.g. the activation handling seems completely wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen G
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its definately not the correct way to play to let ONE player do all the above, and then it's the next player.

After the initiative phase is done (Setup and giving out orders etc.)the initiative player starts.

This player may do one of the following:
- Activate a character
- Reactivate a previously activated character (If all characters have been activated once)
- Buy 1 order tile for 1 CP
- Buy 1 order tile from discard pile for 2 CP.
- Pass

If you activate or reactive a char, you can execute as many orders as possible within that characters CP limit / orders limited by the tiles currently on that character. (Remember that during ONE activation or reactivation, you can only put 1 order tile)

After a player has taken ONE of the actions described above, it's the next players round. This creates a very immersive and fast action paced game. And saving CP's for later rounds is definately advantagous at times.

If all players pass in succession, the game enters the final phase and if not on last turn, a new turn starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word 'turn' en 'round' is used in a different manner than it is usually used. Within one turn, players switch rounds. They activate only ONE character per round, then the other player activates ONE character.

In one round however, the player can give multiple orders to the activated character, of course within the limits of
- his max CP
- the possibilities of the order tile that has been assigned to him
- the possibilities of order tile(s) that have been assigned to him in previous rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So you can assign multiple order tiles to characters, but not in the same round. All assigned tiles stay with the character until the end of the turn (which consists of a series of rounds).

Duelling for iniative is not always relevant, but the real point of duelling is interrupting I think. Its not just about pre-emptive strikes or interrupt attacks, its also about blocking passages/corridors. Interrupting can be very powerful and opens up a whole array of new strategic/tactical considerations. For example, if your opponent wants a move bad enough, you can make him pay dearly by duelling and just betting 1 CP. Chances are he will pay 4 CP or (much) more, to be safe. Duelling makes for agonizing decisions concerning order tiles, sections and their colours.

We have yet to start scenario #3 but I will not be surprised if duelling proofs to be the single most important mechanic of the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moses Beard, in your other thread in which you asked for teaching and learning advice a few posters recommended you do a game by yourself to learn the rules. You are so in trouble...

Hang in there, buddy; the game seems intuitive as soon as you get the order tile mechanic down. Don't let your friends get scared off this easily.

Edit: Here's some for a nice e-mail you sent to me. We've got to get you able to afford an ER microbadge after a couple more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks alot for the support guys

Im going to continue studying scenario 1 till i can understand a turn.

Heres what i understand.

Initative
10Cp for both sides (senario 1)
the player who has initative draws 5 tiles or if they have 3, they draw 2 so it equals 5. Same for CP exept its 10.

Thats it, if i am missing something please let me know

Activation- you have a choice of one of the following.
you can only activate 1 character per turn
You cant activate a previously activated character unless they are all activated
you can Buy a new order tile which costs 1CP
You can choose from the discard pile but that costs 2 CP and they are face down
You can Pass
You can assign ONE order tile
You can execute an order, which is, as soon as you place CP on the tile, you execute the order.

this post is going to be on hold for an epic ah-hah moment.

AH!!!!!!!! HAH!!!! So a turn is a BIG thing, then there are rounds, Each player does a round of activation, Bam! alright. well.

Wow! so the activation phase can last a long time, everyone has to pass. They would pass if they run out of CP. Got it! whistle

Back to the post.

Final Phase.
Check for victory conditions
if all characters have been activated, they are all set back to normal position.
All CP and Order tiles are discarded. CP goes back to the bank
You can only have 5 Order tiles, so if you have more, discard untill you have 5
Then it proceeds to a new turn.

Woooo

Okay so now doors.

Does it cost one Movement point to open an unlocked door? If the door is destroyed you can simply walk through it?

Thanks alot guys! this really helped.

So is that a good understanding of a turn and rounds? if i am missing something, please let me know

and i apologize for the use of the word gay in the beginning of the thread, i changed it now, me and my stupid vocabulary.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does it cost one Movement point to open an unlocked door? If the door is destroyed you can simply walk through it?

Yes and yes.

I think everything I saw looked right with regard to a standard turn. I would add that you can have a character "wait for orders" and engage without using an order tile or assigning orders. You also can discard unwanted order tiles to replace them up to five total in the final phase.

I'll recommend again Universal Head's player aids if you aren't already using them. It helps sometimes to be able to look at almost everything in one concise context. They are here.

Thanks for being a standup guy with regard to your post, too. I was trying in my e-mail to make that request discretely as you meant no harm. I haven't seen you around before but I've enjoyed the enthusiasm of your posts; hopefully we'll be hearing more from you. Hang in there with ER; you've already burned a lot of mental calories with learning the game. It will seem intuitive fairly soon, I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moses beard wrote:
Initative
the player who has initative draws 5 tiles or if they have 3, they draw 2 so it equals 5. Same for CP exept its 10.

Well, you get 10 CP for starters (in scenario #1 that is). This will be increased with your Characters CP bonusses.

moses beard wrote:
You can choose from the discard pile but that costs 2 CP and they are face down

As I understand, it will cost 2 CP to search the discard pile. You don't have to memorize the pile.

moses beard wrote:
You can execute an order, which is, as soon as you place CP on the tile, you execute the order.

You probably know this already, but you can execute multiple order sections, even on multiple order tiles, as long as they are assigned to the activated character, you have the CP for it and the total expanded CP does not exceed the maximum CP allowed for the character.

moses beard wrote:
So is that a good understanding of a turn and rounds? if i am missing something, please let me know

I think you're there, allright. Once you've done a couple of rounds, everything will fall into place.

A warning in advance: before you go shooting, check the Errata on the Ludically site, especially the typo on page 19 Picture #20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb

Second Play update.

This game was a 1 vs. 1 on the first scenario. I thought i understood the rules but i freakin dont. This next play sucked and i dont know, i stayed up till 2 for the past 2 nights , trying to understand this freakin scenario one.

Questions.

Can you use the same order tile twice during an action phase? like keep it there, and save it again for next round?

And there were MANY other questions, that i dont remeber, but im sure we will remeber next time we spend 60 minutes setting up and hours playing and then figure out the questions while having a bad experience, it doesnt seem worth it anymore. The 60 bucks you spend on this game is an investment. a very hardcore investment.

Maybe this game isnt right for me, We are catan lovers. Maybe i am a eurogamer? and i thought id give this game a shot. This is a fantastic game, i can tell, but it is buried deep deep DEEP beaneath long hours of studying the rules, and many failed attempts. And the long setup time on top of is the cherry to the deep and juicy milkshake. I just wish i had a friend that could explain to me how to play this game in person...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

moses beard wrote:
Can you use the same order tile twice during an action phase? like keep it there, and save it again for next round?

Yes, you can. Not the order tile sections you already used, but the unused ones (every order tile has 4 sections).

Say your characters are all activated. One of your characters already as an order tile assigned, of which you used one section (to move for example). In your next round you assign another order tile to this character and you spent 2 CP to use the move section of the new tile. On top of that you could also spent CP on a section of the order tile already there (to perform a close combat for example) provided there are no CP on that section and the max CP of the character allows it.

By the way: as you guessed already: this is not Catan. In these kind of games studying rules for say 5 hours before your first game is quite reasonable (more like a bargain, actually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Not the order tile sections you already used, but the unused ones...

With the exception of Movement orders (which are half of the orders you can use in Scenario 1) which can be reused until you have spent their full CP limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just wish i had a friend that could explain to me how to play this game in person...

Maybe you do, actually. Players post all of the time (or use a local search - one of the functions here) to find gamers who have similar interest. You could always invite an Earth Reborn veteran over to your house (and pay for their share of the pizza) just to help you through the learning game(s). You probably could organize a session at a local gaming store if you don't want to invite someone new over to your house.

Yeah, it's not Catan and it's not close to being the same kind of game as Catan. The challenge of learning new games for me sometimes if finding "where the game is" in the game. For me, ER is about agonizing over order tile decisions, making feints of showing one tactical manouver while secretly planning another and having a good laugh and round of high fives when your plans and the dice come up with a terrific, thematic story by the end of your session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb

I think im just going to put this game on my shelf and leave it there for awhile and then come back to it later once im used to harder games, My next purchase is glory to rome and that is harder than catan, so we will just keep upping untill we want to try this game again. Brother Jim you have been very helpful, and thanks to all of ya! ima give it a break and come back later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good idea. I don't know how old you are though, however it seems that your reading harder texts with understanding skill needs some polishing.
I won't deny, I also had one problem with understanding one thing about activation in Earth Reborn (namely reactivation). Nevertheless I consider the rulebook well-written, with lots of examples. Focus while reading it, don't skim through it like you do reading news on the Internet ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krell
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mb
moses beard wrote:

Initative

A small hint to szenario 1: The Salemites have 12 points because of Jeff´s bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.