Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

1st & Goal» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Me again. Just to let you know that me and my Wife are going to play another game (she graciously has allowed me to try and draw level) and will be using the expansion sets this time. Will try and weigh in with a session report and expansion review next time. Wish me luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck in getting your first win against her. Sounds like she might be NFL coach material

I do have a question about the teams that come with the game and expansions. What are the DIFERENCES between the teams and do they have actual players or just a different set of offensive/defensive cards?

Is there anyway that you could use NFL players in place of the player cards that come with the game? Could you make the current New Orleans Saints one of the teams?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Omahavice wrote:
Good luck in getting your first win against her. Sounds like she might be NFL coach material

I do have a question about the teams that come with the game and expansions. What are the DIFERENCES between the teams and do they have actual players or just a different set of offensive/defensive cards?

Is there anyway that you could use NFL players in place of the player cards that come with the game? Could you make the current New Orleans Saints one of the teams?

The expansion teams are just dice with different results on but implemented in a clever way and I like that they don't use proper NFL teams as it wouldn't really seem right. If you wanted to though, I suppose you could do it yourself but I don't believe there would be a good balance. See my review on what I think of the expansions and why.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhoDat wrote:
The expansion teams are just dice with different results on but implemented in a clever way and I like that they don't use proper NFL teams as it wouldn't really seem right. If you wanted to though, I suppose you could do it yourself but I don't believe there would be a good balance. See my review on what I think of the expansions and why.
A, there would be serious licensing issues and costs for getting the names and logos of the actual NFL teams. I don't think that's feasible for a small game.
B, teams change from year to year, thanks to the draft, player trades, coaching changes, etc. Having to tweak the intricacies of each team's strengths and weaknesses from year to year, especially using an abstract system such as this that would inevitably be disputed by football fans, would make maintaining the game's "realism" also an unattainable goal.
C, let's face it, the current NFL teams are not balanced, despite the league's best attempts at parity. So some teams just wouldn't get played except by people who like to play the underdog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bolin
United States
CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
advice:
Do not use the optional d20 rules use the basic box die for special teams play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daloonieshaman wrote:
advice:
Do not use the optional d20 rules use the basic box die for special teams play.


Why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.