Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that it's like pandemic with a fantasy theme. But Pandemic is the half cheaper so is this game worth it's price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I tried both and went straight for DotR and all its expansions. meeple

I know that you are also a passionate role player and DotR has a beautiful "board-RPG" feeling too (if you know what I mean). Pandemic on the other hand has a rather strange topic for my taste, and pushing minis over the board is much more satisfying than placing little wooden cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. We own both and much prefer Pandemic. We never play Defenders now - in fact we've played it about 5 times compared to Pandemic's dozens of plays.

Pandemic gives the same game in a far more accessible (size and time) package. Plus it's not as garish!

As with most games you are going to get lots of conflicting opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
I've heard that it's like pandemic with a fantasy theme. But Pandemic is the half cheaper so is this game worth it's price?

Your user name is Barad The Dwarf. You have a Lovecraft Uberbadge. You want Defenders of the Realm. It's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely.

Another thread asked this same question by the way.

First, you rate Arkham Horror first in your top ten. Defenders is by the same designer, Richard Launius, who is extremely active and generous with free content on this game page. DotR carries many of AH's virtues and adds even more of a team up element than has AH.

Second, the game offers a lot for its price. This may not be evident to some if only the components are examined, especially when one compares the box to Fantasy Flight games. However, in contrast to many FF games which offer lots of bling but needed to have been playtested more, DotR offers the opposite situation, which will pay off in more long term enjoyment for you. There's a lot of value in this box.

Third, the game is fun! I have Pandemic and it is elegant but the theme and mechanics often leave me cold. DotR is theme rich, with each hero really feeling different. My group is very skeptical about new games but this title has quickly become a classic and hits the table very frequently.

Please check out the thread I linked as well as many of the reviews here. I am almost certain you'll end up buying with confidence and being grateful you did so after you've played a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO. It's worth more than the price, in terms of enjoyment/$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has totally replaced Pandemic for us. Pandemic always ended up turning into the democratic turn decision making machine, in that no one did anything until we all debated the relative merits. Because there is so many other options in DotR, I haven't seen that happen anywhere near as often. Plus, the theme is much more heavily imprinted on DotR IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is an expensive game, however:

1) It comes with a lot of good quality plastic pieces.
2) The free print and play expansion stuff available here on the 'geek really does make the game a bargain.

This game will be in my collection and likely see regular table time for the rest of my life. Really fun game.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Richard Launius, who is extremely active and generous with free content on this game page.

In addition to it being a great game, this is one of the very best reasons to buy this game. I only just starting following the Defenders forums a few weeks ago, when I received the game from my BGG Secret Santa, and already I've seen Richard answer more questions on the forums than I've seen any other single designer answer over the past year.

Also, the print and play expansions (Winds of War, the Summer League scenarios, etc.) are of publishable quality, and Richard has posted them on BGG for free! I have personally not seen this kind of support of a game before and it makes me glad that I own Defenders.

In short, buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.