Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Olli
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first game of the new Return to Mirkwood scenario today and (no surprise) a couple of new questions came up too! whistle

1. Does "Elfhelm" reduce the raise of thread forced by Gollum?
2. Does the player controlling Gollum raise his thread by an additional 3 each turn (i.e. four in total) or 3 instead of the usual 1?

Ty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader4 wrote:
1. Does "Elfhelm" reduce the raise of thread forced by Gollum?

Gollum is an encounter card, so yes, you can reduce your threat by 1.

Vader4 wrote:
2. Does the player controlling Gollum raise his thread by an additional 3 each turn (i.e. four in total) or 3 instead of the usual 1?

It's an additional 3, for a total of 4 each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gollum hit pts and threat?
Im looking through my rule sheet on Return to Mirkwood.
Could you help me find this info? I can't seem to find any reference about adding extra threat for Gollum as mentioned above. Also the rule sheet refers to Gollum having hit points. I can also find nothing on how many hit points he has. Does it have to do with the Guard? Since it says to place him in the Ally area, and that he can be affected as an Ally, Im confused about the hit points.
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
William Keller wrote:
Im looking through my rule sheet on Return to Mirkwood.
Could you help me find this info? I can't seem to find any reference about adding extra threat for Gollum as mentioned above.

The Gollum card itself says:
Quote:
Damage from undefended attacks against you must be dealt to Gollum. If Gollum is destroyed, or if the player guarding Gollum is eliminated, the players have lost the game.

Forced: At the end of each round, raise the threat of the player guarding Gollum by 3. Then, that player may choose a new player to guard Gollum.

Quote:
Also the rule sheet refers to Gollum having hit points. I can also find nothing on how many hit points he has.

On the Gollum card itself it says he has 5 hit points but no will, attack, or defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK found the problem...My Dead Marshes cards got mixed up with the Return to Mirkwood cards and the 'Marshes Gollum replaced the 'Return Gollum.' Yikes, there are several Marshes cards mixed in. I thought that the encounter deck was awfully large. cr@p! Well, Ive gotten a lot of practice searching for him, getting beaten up by all the big nasties, and all the time trying to figure out just how the Gollum mechanics worked. Anybody else get cards all mixed together during play? huh, no one, just me. cr@p!

Thanks much from a slightly red-faced Coyote!!blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had encounter cards mixed into a player deck that I used once. That thew the whole quest off quite a bit.

I thought it was a mistake for FFG to give us two different Gollum cards with the same name.

I can give you a list of the encounter cards from those two sets but you should be able to sort them out with the icons. IMO those icons were a brilliant move by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I finally have them sorted out. What a revelation. (Although it really didnt make this quest any easier) So,OK, here we go, back through the Spider infested forest with a less than cooperative Gollum. Thanks again for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gunther
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a little open for interpretation, but I don't think Elfhelm works on the Gollum Objective Card. Based on the description in the core rule book and it doesn't seem to me that Objective cards are considered Encounter Cards. On page 6 of the English core rule book it states, "An encounter deck consists of Enemy, Location and Treachery cards." It does not mention Objective Cards. Later on when describing Objective Cards it states, "Unless otherwise specified, objective cards are shuffled into the encounter deck when setting up a scenario."

Since Gollum is never shuffled into the encounter deck I don't think he is considered an Encounter Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 5 of the pdf rulebook it says:
Page 5 wrote:
A scenario consists of a sequential deck of quest cards (referred to as “the quest deck”) and a randomized encounter deck of enemy, location, treachery, and objective cards.

OTOH, I'm still not certain that a forced effect on an objective card would trigger Elfhelm's response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gunther
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent a rule question to fantasy flight games and got a reply from the designer Nate French. He confirmed Objective Cards are Encounter Cards and that Elfhelm can decrease Gollum's threat increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Conant
United States
flag msg tools
Setup: Search the encounter deck for Gollum. Then choose a player to guard Gollum...

Gollum comes straight out of the encounter deck which, IMO would make him an encounter card. Glad for the official ruling from Nate French as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgunther wrote:
I sent a rule question to fantasy flight games and got a reply from the designer Nate French. He confirmed Objective Cards are Encounter Cards and that Elfhelm can decrease Gollum's threat increase.

Argh. Wish I would have known this in the game I just played. I think I would have won. End of game - 48 threat, I could hit the attercop for nine, but needed 10, so I was one short. But I'd had Elfhelm out for about 4 turns, so my threat should have been low enough to give me another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.