Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to be teaching this game quite a bit, but there's a definite advantage for experienced players here. How might I handicap a new player?

Ideas:

- Give them more money/materials/science. (Less good option, as they won't have this going forward.)
- Reduce experienced players to 0 in money/materials/science. (An interesting challenge!)

Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
I was wondering about it. Probably good option will be to give experienced players less production at start - simply play Terrans only, but those players start with aliens home systems (there are worse than humans). It has less impact in first turn and it is harder to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Carr
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just thinking I'd have each experienced player throw away an influence disk. New players seems to waste their actions, especially on the early turns. Forcing knowledgable players to reduce their actions seems like a decent way to balance that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have experienced players reduce a starting good of their choice by 1 for each game they have played (2 for wins)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Oxeter wrote:
I was just thinking I'd have each experienced player throw away an influence disk. New players seems to waste their actions, especially on the early turns. Forcing knowledgable players to reduce their actions seems like a decent way to balance that.

That's a massive disadvantage. To put it in perspective, the Eridani have two fewer disks, but as compensation start with 26 money and 2 extra techs. And that's probably insufficient compensation, as they're generally considered the weakest faction in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about leave the resources as-is but new players get to draw TWO hexes for their first one or maybe two EXPlore actions, to give them a better chance of immediately usable worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.