Subject: Bigger, Easier, Faster, Better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Szymanski
Germany
Geestland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the cardgame and I love the boardgame. Somehow the KO stages in the cardgame did not feel right for a light card game like this, I tried to make it more like a faster and easier partygame.

1. You will need two sets of the game, this shouldn't be a problem at the price of the game.

2. Allocate the teams. The owner of a team takes both team cards.

3. Shuffle all 64 action cards and play each group in the group stage stage like you did before.
This doesn't change much but there is more variety in the results as two or none 3 goal card might be in the dealt deck.

4. After the group stage the big change comes into play! Resolve the KO stage games like the group stage games.
As everybody has two team cards you don't need markers for the duells. Just push one card in next to your opponents card as shown in the score sheet. Shuffle all 64 action cards and deal 4 to each team still participating.
You might play 1 to 4 cards from your teams cards on that team at once like in the group stage. After all teams have played their cards the matches are resolved. All 8 matches are played now.

4.1 (This is how to resolve the matches and have no problems with an empty deck)
Take away all cards from all teams where the number of goals scored is clear. (no penalty cards and 1/2 goals left over) Write the scored goals down in the score sheet. Shuffle the deck and make a new draw deck. Resolve all attack cards and penalties from the other teams. Write down the scores and take all cards away, Shuffle the cards and put them under the draw deck. Resolve all penalty shootouts as usual. All unused cards of eliminated teams are shuffled under the draw deck. Every time the draw deck runs out just shuffle all used cards to make a new one.

5. Now comes the tricky part! For every goal difference you take one new card from the draw deck. You get one card for a win in a penalty shootout.
Example: Winning 3-1 gets your team two new cards. Winning 5-4 or 4-2 in penalties gives you one card like a 1-0 win. A 5-0 gives you five new cards.

6. Every round including the finals is played in the same way. The winner is of course the winner of the finals.

6.1 The losers of the semi-finals get one card each.

This makes the game easier and faster, maybe a little more luck dependent than before but I think this works great because if you want a deeper game use the WC Board Game instead.

I hope you like my variant. Have fun!

*edit: added 6.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Szymanski
Germany
Geestland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this variant three times this christmas and changed it a little.
I think it works even better now.

1.-3. stays the same

4. Each team gets as many cards as written on their team card. (minus 1 or 2 cards)
Because the deck would run out before all teams would have their cards do it match by match.
The two teams of the first Last 16 match get their action cards first, play 1-4 cards each and resolve the match as usual. Then the next match and so on.

5.-6. stays the same

We played that each team got the same amount of cards as in the first round. First I thougt there would be too many goals scored, but with more foul and defensive cards in play we had 0-0 matches with both teams playing four cards. As the matches were usually very close the winner just drew 1-2 new cards which made it difficult to always play four cards and win the finals.

My final suggestion would be to reduce the cards for the Last 16 by one or two, so the teams start with 5/6 or 6/7 instead of 4/4 or 7/8 as we played it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Szymanski
Germany
Geestland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more idea that works pretty well.
Just for the knock-out phase each team starts with the number of cards indicated on their team card (7 or 8) and after each match draws 1 extra card.
This allows a better but more difficult planning and card distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.