Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Assembly Required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks fun to play, but unless they provide the miniatures already assembled or at least partially assembled, I will pass on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing at first. I will tell you I was immediately overwhelmed when I saw just how many pieces I had to glue together for a single figure.

However, after I started gluing them together, I found it to be pretty enjoyable. All the pieces I needed to glue a figure together were found in a single bag. So there was no searching for that last piece that I needed in another bag.

Don't pass up this game! I've played several dungeon crawlers and believe this to be the best Ive ever played. I got it for Christmas and have already logged in x10 games.

Trust me, get it and you won't be dissapointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
The game looks fun to play, but unless they provide the miniatures already assembled or at least partially assembled, I will pass on this one.

Let me guess, you only buy sliced bread from the stores? whistle

Anyway, each on his own. The great thing about internet and BGG is that you can look up at a game before you decide whether or not you should invest on it the time and money it takes.

That way theres no big surprises and you know in advance, that you actually need to do something yourself, oh the horror. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need to do is buy some super glue and block out a few hours of your time to put it together. It took me 4 hours stretch over two days.

I never put miniatures together before and found it to be a rewarding experience. The miniatures are designed well and go together easily. The only one that game me trouble was the dragon. All you need to do is get the plastic hot with the boiling water so you can bend his legs were they need to be.

The details in the minis are great and it makes it all worth it. Also the game is fun too. Brings be back to the days when my friend and I would play Gauntlet on my PS2 with the multi-tap!

I can't wait for the expansion to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosley wrote:
All you need to do is buy some super glue and block out a few hours of your time to put it together. It took me 4 hours stretch over two days.

I never put miniatures together before and found it to be a rewarding experience. The miniatures are designed well and go together easily. The only one that game me trouble was the dragon. All you need to do is get the plastic hot with the boiling water so you can bend his legs were they need to be.

The details in the minis are great and it makes it all worth it. Also the game is fun too. Brings be back to the days when my friend and I would play Gauntlet on my PS2 with the multi-tap!

I can't wait for the expansion to come out.

Yeah, that guy was annoying!

Ditto on the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, ya know, I'm an experienced minis gamer and I've found the pieces in this to be pretty darn frustrating. Many of them don't fit well and I've had to do some annoying filing of tabs, or really working to find enough surface that actually touches to glue. And I haven't a clue how to actually get Starfire to fit together.

I can totally see why someone who isn't into minis would be turned off by the packaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Um, ya know, I'm an experienced minis gamer and I've found the pieces in this to be pretty darn frustrating. Many of them don't fit well and I've had to do some annoying filing of tabs, or really working to find enough surface that actually touches to glue. And I haven't a clue how to actually get Starfire to fit together.

I can totally see why someone who isn't into minis would be turned off by the packaging.

I've spent years buying and gluing Warhammer miniatures using Super Glue mixed in with frustration, determination, and a hint of satisfaction once the miniature was put together and painted, but many of those minatures didn't have a gazillion bits to fit together; although some filing and modifications were at times required. I guess for me those days of glue stuck fingers are behind me and unless the a game contains parts that snap together easily or only have a few bits to glue together it will remain on my Wish List or my "I hope one of my friends gets the game so that I can try it out list".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Topher
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I also have assembled Warhammer minis for several years -

The minis in this game are very easy to assemble - there are "slots" that you simply pour some glue in and then you press the corresponding plug or key into it... quite easy. Not at all annoying like some of the no-slot minis that Games Workshop makes.

The Dragon indeed was quite hard - I gave it to my girlfriend to assemble (I thought hey, it would be the funnest and probably the easiest, she had never assembled minis before)

She struggled for around 30 minutes and then just gave up and yelled at me.

Took me a few minutes, but you have to do things in the right order if you don't do the hot water trick... I found that this works:

-Assemble the base
-Front left leg to base
-Tail onto body
-Front right leg onto body
-(Tricky) Dragon's front right and tail onto base and body onto the front left leg.
-Back legs
-Tongue on head
-Head
-Wings (I didn't glue them in, heard people had the wings snap off... so they're detached when in-box)

Sorry for the off-topic mini-guide, but anyways bottom line:

These are not hard to assemble. I don't understand why easy assembly is a major turn off for some people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The dragon is a pain in the ass.
Everything else is very easy and enjoyable. Easier than GWs stuff was way back when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icey10 101
msg tools
So far I have not played the game...I have been busy assemlbing everything. I personally am not impressed how many parts these miniatures are. It really feels like each model has about twice as many parts as it needs. First time dealing with this sort of plastic...I guess plastic glue doesn't work on them...half way through assembly to figure that one out. Would be real nice if they included insctructions on how to assembly the models. Sure I can figure it out. But having dozen models in a bag all loose, just made it feel like a puzzle. Tons of flash on these things, and going to need to fill a lot of spots with green stuff.

The models will eventally look great once painted, but I really feel on a scale of 1-10 I would rate these things around 5-6. Might be that I have grown used to GW and Tamiya models quaility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use super glue and you'll be fine. That's whats recommended.

It took me around 3 hours to assemble all my figures. In the end, I found it to be enjoyable with the exception of that stinking dragon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Designs
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was concerned at first. But a little crazy glue and some time... It was very easy to put them together... I'm thinking of hiring my friend to paint them. And honestly, putting them together myself made me... Sort of proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I took the plunge and ended up buying the game along with the limited edition miniature of Candy and Cola. I hope this game is as good as others claim it is. I'm not looking foreward to gluing the miniatures but I am looking foreward to painting them. Hopefully any miniatures that come along in the future expansions wont contain so many bits (I don't recall having to glue a tongue or an ear... on miniatures before).
After all the gluing and painting I hope the game will be enjoyable to play for a long time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.