Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Move action - Summary Card - errata needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see this mentioned any where, so placing it here.

The Summary Card tile, has the move order with 2 arrows. The default move for humans is 3 arrows, and 2 arrows for aliens. Perhaps print some with 3 arrows next edition. Or have another icon showing you get 2 or 3 arrows depending on your race (human = 3 , alien = 2). Or place something in the faq stating the the Summary Card move action has 2 arrows but you may get 3 if your human. I know the rules and the player mats have the correct number, this is just a minor inconsistency that led me to search to see if the rules or mat were a typo or the Summary cards. Having this in the faq would fix that.

On a side note this game is epic. I can't wait to play it today for the first time at my New Year's Day board game party!

Thanks for creating a great game!

---Joshua
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned any where, so placing it here.

The Summary Card tile, has the move order with 2 arrows. The default move for humans is 3 arrows, and 2 arrows for aliens. Perhaps print some with 3 arrows next edition. Or have another icon showing you get 2 or 3 arrows depending on your race (human = 3 , alien = 2). Or place something in the faq stating the the Summary Card move action has 2 arrows but you may get 3 if your human. I know the rules and the player mats have the correct number, this is just a minor inconsistency that led me to search to see if the rules or mat were a typo or the Summary cards. Having this in the faq would fix that.

On a side note this game is epic. I can't wait to play it today for the first time at my New Year's Day board game party!

Thanks for creating a great game!

---Joshua


Then why would anyone ever want to play humans? The aliens all have things they can do that the humans cannot, while the humans advantage is to be able to move and trade more efficiently. Why would you make an alien that takes away a human advantage? It'd be more interesting to simply give them something else, just like they did with the other aliens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he's just saying change the summary card, not the actual races...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think new Summary cards are needed; they basically show the "default" values for each action, non-race specific. Personally, I use the icons shown on the race sheet itself as a better reminder of which actions are boosted.

Should a new Summary card be created for the machine race? For the Planta? For the Descendants? IE, you either have the 6 generic summary cards, or you make 12 race specific cards. Since there were only 11 punch boards, making 12 race specific cards would have been tough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We could have used more ship parts, or discovery tiles, or something. We could have used that extra 2 boards (traitor cards is in that spot too)!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just saying the Summary Card shows a move action as giving you 2 activations. If your playing human you get 3 activations. Hence there is a discrepancy in the printing of the 1st edition. 1 Source of information says a move gets you 2 activations, 2 other sources say you get 3 activations if human. I know the 3 activations is correct if human. It was just a minor oversight/ nit pick on the icon used for the summary cards.

My suggestion was just to change the icon on the summary card in the next edition or add a blurb to the errata clarifying that the summary card move is incorrect if your playing human. It confused 1 person in my game teaching it, and also confused me since it's not in the errata.


The Military Aliens won our first game 5 player game. They grew unchecked and vaporized 4 fleets/systems on the last turn to win. 1 Dreadnought + Scout could take out anyone else's entire fleet. Epic game everyone loved it and can't wait to play again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking about it more, other races break the base rules for actions in others ways too. The summary card should stay as is. A little blurb stating the summary card won't be correct for your races see your player board is all that is needed. Or I need a technology that I can research to raise my intelligence


Epic Game, best thing I've every played I think.


Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
I was just saying the Summary Card shows a move action as giving you 2 activations. If your playing human you get 3 activations. Hence there is a discrepancy in the printing of the 1st edition. 1 Source of information says a move gets you 2 activations, 2 other sources say you get 3 activations if human. I know the 3 activations is correct if human. It was just a minor oversight/ nit pick on the icon used for the summary cards.

It is not an oversight. The summary card is listing the basic levels of each action. Three Moves for Terrans is an exception to the rule, it's their species-specific power (along with the trade rate).

The summary card doesn't list any other species' special abilities either. For the purposes of executing any of the actions, players will use their own player mats, where the iconography will indicate the differences from the default action (if any).

For ease of understanding for first-time players, the rulebook is written with the idea that each player is playing Terran, but the summary card is a neutral play aid that makes no such presuppositions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
I was just saying the Summary Card shows a move action as giving you 2 activations. If your playing human you get 3 activations. Hence there is a discrepancy in the printing of the 1st edition. 1 Source of information says a move gets you 2 activations, 2 other sources say you get 3 activations if human. I know the 3 activations is correct if human. It was just a minor oversight/ nit pick on the icon used for the summary cards.

It is not an oversight. The summary card is listing the basic levels of each action. Three Moves for Terrans is an exception to the rule, it's their species-specific power (along with the trade rate).

The summary card doesn't list any other species' special abilities either. For the purposes of executing any of the actions, players will use their own player mats, where the iconography will indicate the differences from the default action (if any).

For ease of understanding for first-time players, the rulebook is written with the idea that each player is playing Terran, but the summary card is a neutral play aid that makes no such presuppositions.


Ah, that makes sense and explains it. But I agree it's quite counter-intuitive since the rules make no mention that the Terrans have species-specific powers (unless I missed it!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
aautio wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
I was just saying the Summary Card shows a move action as giving you 2 activations. If your playing human you get 3 activations. Hence there is a discrepancy in the printing of the 1st edition. 1 Source of information says a move gets you 2 activations, 2 other sources say you get 3 activations if human. I know the 3 activations is correct if human. It was just a minor oversight/ nit pick on the icon used for the summary cards.

It is not an oversight. The summary card is listing the basic levels of each action. Three Moves for Terrans is an exception to the rule, it's their species-specific power (along with the trade rate).

The summary card doesn't list any other species' special abilities either. For the purposes of executing any of the actions, players will use their own player mats, where the iconography will indicate the differences from the default action (if any).

For ease of understanding for first-time players, the rulebook is written with the idea that each player is playing Terran, but the summary card is a neutral play aid that makes no such presuppositions.


Ah, that makes sense and explains it. But I agree it's quite counter-intuitive since the rules make no mention that the Terrans have species-specific powers (unless I missed it!)
It doesn't. The rulebook itroduces the rules with the Terran perspective, by saying "with a Move action you may move three ships" and "You may trade two of one Resource to get one of something else" - and then along with the alien species descriptions there is a section called "Differences from Terrans" which then lists among other things "two Move" and "3:1 Trade Rate" (except 4:1 for Hegemony) for everyone else.

So yeah, you're right: nowhere in the rulebook does it specifically list the Terran abilities, because they are written into the rules. But you can easily see that if practically all other species have two Move and 3:1 Trade rate, then that is the norm and Terrans' special ability makes them better than average in these two things (which in turn makes them a very good and flexible race to play, especially as managing your economy is easier!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.