Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making it easier for a player to replace their character rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the feedback, I've modified the variant to as follows:

Once per game, if no investigator has been killed (and the Objective card has not been revealed), an investigator player may choose for his character to flee. He may, only, do this at the start of his turn and his turn ends. In game terms, his original character counts as ‘killed’.

The advantages as as follows:
1. Encourage the keeper to spread the pain between the investigator's a bit more.
2. Encourage the keeper to finish off the first completely crippled investigator
3. Enable a player to finish off the first completely crippled investigator without having the investigator go out of their way to commit suicide.
4. Enables a group to quickly bring on a new character if the party mix is not suitable for the scenario.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Is it permissible for an Investigator with Loss of Will to do this and come back as a different Loss of Will'd Investigator? Is it permissible for the Blood Relative to flee, even though doing so would make one of the Keeper's Objectives in Blood Ties almost impossible?

At any rate, minor details like that aside, I like this a lot. It's a nice, simple fix that cures one of the major thematic problems with Mansions of Madness.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Is it permissible for an Investigator with Loss of Will to do this and come back as a different Loss of Will'd Investigator? Is it permissible for the Blood Relative to flee, even though doing so would make one of the Keeper's Objectives in Blood Ties almost impossible?

At any rate, minor details like that aside, I like this a lot. It's a nice, simple fix that cures one of the major thematic problems with Mansions of Madness.


Good points. I think I will change the rule so that a character who flees counts as dead. This fixes the Blood Relative and Loss of Will issue and also any victory condition that is based on the number of killed investigators.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Nicola Zee wrote:
Good points. I think I will change the rule so that a character who flees counts as dead. This fixes the Blood Relative and Loss of Will issue and also any victory condition that is based on the number of killed investigators.

That makes sense, though it still leaves the Blood Relative problem open - the Objective in question requires the Blood Relative to be insane upon death, so a Blood Relative fleeing when they have only one or two Sanity left could undo everything the Keeper has done toward fulfilling that Objective in the entire game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
Good points. I think I will change the rule so that a character who flees counts as dead. This fixes the Blood Relative and Loss of Will issue and also any victory condition that is based on the number of killed investigators.

That makes sense, though it still leaves the Blood Relative problem open - the Objective in question requires the Blood Relative to be insane upon death, so a Blood Relative fleeing when they have only one or two Sanity left could undo everything the Keeper has done toward fulfilling that Objective in the entire game.


Another very good point.

Blood Ties (Objective 1C) is a problem.
What stops the Blood Relative killing themselves by setting a room on fire and just waiting for death? I'm wondering if the Objective itself needs a fix regardless of the house rule or am I missing something?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
salty53 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
Good points. I think I will change the rule so that a character who flees counts as dead. This fixes the Blood Relative and Loss of Will issue and also any victory condition that is based on the number of killed investigators.

That makes sense, though it still leaves the Blood Relative problem open - the Objective in question requires the Blood Relative to be insane upon death, so a Blood Relative fleeing when they have only one or two Sanity left could undo everything the Keeper has done toward fulfilling that Objective in the entire game.


Another very good point.

Blood Ties (Objective 1C) is a problem.
What stops the Blood Relative killing themselves by setting a room on fire and just waiting for death? I'm wondering if the Objective itself needs a fix regardless of the house rule or am I missing something?


That's a good point...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
salty53 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
Good points. I think I will change the rule so that a character who flees counts as dead. This fixes the Blood Relative and Loss of Will issue and also any victory condition that is based on the number of killed investigators.

That makes sense, though it still leaves the Blood Relative problem open - the Objective in question requires the Blood Relative to be insane upon death, so a Blood Relative fleeing when they have only one or two Sanity left could undo everything the Keeper has done toward fulfilling that Objective in the entire game.


Another very good point.

Blood Ties (Objective 1C) is a problem.
What stops the Blood Relative killing themselves by setting a room on fire and just waiting for death? I'm wondering if the Objective itself needs a fix regardless of the house rule or am I missing something?


That's a good point...


Thank you but I usually depend on you to provide ideas on how to fix a broken objective. You are the master of the objective fix.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So what prevents the players from changing their characters early in the game, just to have a double amount of starting objects waiting on the floor? I would at least require the fleeing investigator to take all his starting items with him when he runs. Even if they are currently on the floor or someone else is using them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
So what prevents the players from changing their characters early in the game, just to have a double amount of starting objects waiting on the floor? I would at least require the fleeing investigator to take all his starting items with him when he runs. Even if they are currently on the floor or someone else is using them.


Fleeing is a once per game thing. If a player uses it on their first turn, it can't be used again by any investigator. A group would be wiser to wait for a character to be crippled before using it.

In addition, the 'flee' option is really just a less messy and quick suicide option. In game terms I'm going to treat a character who flees as 'killed'. So, the end effect is the same as putting the character in a room in fire and waiting for death.

If the card bonus problem really bothers you, I recommend the variant that starting equipment cards (n.b. equipment and not weapons) can only be used by the character who started with them. This will fix the problem both for 'fleeing' and for suicide.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone comes across this thread I've refined the House Rule as follows:

Once per game (if no investigator has been killed) an investigator player may choose for his character to flee by moving his investigator through a door (or passable border) that is on the board edge. His original character counts as ‘killed’ and the rule for a killed investigator is applied

The rule was changed as it is more realistic that the investigator has to run off the map (as opposed to teleported off the map).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.