Hide
6 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destruction of Spawn points, reduce the pool of monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric P
msg tools
Each of the spawn point cards lists the monsters you are allowed to field when it is in use. Does that mean that if that spawn point is destroyed you have to reduce the total monsters allowed to be spawned by that amount?

The book does clarify that any monster available can spawn from any point, regardless of type, but I'm not finding anything to clarify if destruction of a spawn point makes it's associated count of monsters moot.

For example, in the super game, if you lose two warrens, do you have to cut down the available spawn pool by the monsters listed on that card (Priest, 3 gougers, 3 kunckle heads, etc) -- or does the total monsters available stay the same in a super game until the boss is spawned, no matter how many spawn points get destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand, the spawn points just determine your pool of monsters available at the start, and it never changes during the course of the game, even as you lose them.

What would you lose for losing 1 kobold warren anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
msg tools
I wouldn't imagine losing one would have any affect, as the card is for two - but if you lost two, that card would effectively be out of play. Or in the case of the egg clutch - if you lose it, it's card would be out of play.

Those are the cases where I'm wondering if you should cut the total number of spawnable creatures down or not.

I guess you could argue that the two warrens killed were from separate sets, thereby forcing the cards to remain in play to argue that all the monsters should remain available. But in the case of the egg clutch, there's only the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, its a shame there's isn't some way we could find this out, like, ya know, if the game came with a rulebook or something.

I spent a bit this afternoon looking at the rules trying to come up with an actual answer but couldn't - which is not the first time for SDE rules, at all.

About the only indication is that monsters can spawn from any spawn point, and that it never specifically mentions losing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the spawn point destruction questions have popped up a few times here on the thread and I believe the general consensus is that reducing the pool of monsters ends up hurting the Consul too much near the end of the game.

Yeh, the rulebook doesn't say anything about reducing the pool, and since any spawn point can spawn any if your monsters in your pool, we play it as the pool of monsters stays the same throughout the whole game as that games set "horde".

Since the rulebook doesn't really say either way tho, I guess you can play it as you feel works best for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
As Emil has said, this discussion has come up a few times.
While the rulebook doesn't specify one way or another, I think the majority opinion is that the spawn points simply specify the monster pool the Consul has access to at the start of the game.
As the spawning points are destroyed, the selection of monsters doesn't decrease, but where the Consul can spawn them does.
While we haven't played very many games, I'm guessing that this will prove to be enough of a handicap for the Consul player.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.