Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played Carcassonne once almost 10 years ago, and a few weeks ago I decided to add it to my collection. First thing I noticed, the box is too big and empty! I read people use the empty space to hold the different expansions, but since I don't want to add many, I thought if the opposite would be possible, put the base game into a smaller, expansion box (they look much bigger than needed too).

I bought Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals, and I realized that its box is exactly half the base game one:

All the tiles seemed to fit, the new meeples too, but the "problem" came from the score board... Since the expansion box is half the size, I thought that cutting the board in two would solve the problem.

I like to pimp my games with alternative components, but don't like in general to "irreversibly modify" the original ones! Anyway, I said to myself that I should try to do it as properly as possible, and then if I didn't like the result I could re-print the scan I had made and mount it...

So I held my breath, used my Xacto knife, applied adhesive felt under the two halves... and got a foldable score board! And that, thanks to the felt, does not move around the table:

And everything fits! Even Carcassonne: The River II. Now I have a compact, 6 player, "slightly expanded" Carcassonne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are indeed a brave soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work. For me though it would approach a box size that is too easy to misplace

Instead of the scoreboard, for people who want to try this without altering their original, just do away with the scoreboard with its how-many-times-around dilemma, and go with a small set of mini poker chips, which would fit in an expansion box. Or the tried-and-true-but-less-elegant mini notepad and pencil scorekeeping solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Valle del Kas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes ... but you are not able to put all the Carcassonne in the box on the expansion of the Carcassonne: The River II...

But seriously ... I think too that the basic Carcassonne box is filled with air ... but in my case, I have been filled with expansions (mine is the metal box / German edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Big Box 2. Talk about a lot of air. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I had this notion too, back when I got Carc and the first 2 expansions. My solution was slightly more involved:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better with a tile dispenser!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/748806/how-to-make-your-own-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now I added Carcassonne: The Phantom to the box!

Still room for a few more mini-expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.