Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the way RfTG AI shrinks goods once placed onto a world. This got me thinking, why doesn't the official card game do this? To save production cost? Come on! Would it really cost that much more to make smart cards that would actually shrink when placed as goods? Put computer chips in them and use smart cardboard stock to get it done already! I'm waiting. It's 2012 for Pete's sake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
And you will BE waiting for quite a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
I really like the way RfTG AI shrinks goods once placed onto a world. This got me thinking, why doesn't the official card game do this? To save production cost? Come on! Would it really cost that much more to make smart cards that would actually shrink when placed as goods? Put computer chips in them and use smart cardboard stock to get it done already! I'm waiting. It's 2012 for Pete's sake!
I'd rather a card game be able to shuffle itself than shrink itself down in size. THAT would do me a world of help in setting the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, then lets add auto shuffle to the list as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking start worlds and auto reshuffling would be a handy feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I am more interested in re-programmable or dynamically configurable e-ink cards. If properly implemented (insert magic here), e-ink cards could be "self shuffling" as a game component could track the location of each card and automatically shuffle the faces of the reshuffled deck without having to rearrange their physical order.

Unfortunately, we are much more likely to see the virtualization of the table top replacing the cards with virtual representations which will weaken the case for having dynamic physical cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gees so serious. Interesting thought, but my whole post was really just in humor. True, real cards for these games will be replaced some day. But perhaps not if they could do all of the above though some kind of super technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a thought provoking topic. It's fascinating to think of where games like this will be in a decade or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
It's fascinating to think of where games like this will be in a decade or two.

Probably on the moon, being played by moon people while they drink moon tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a fun possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
It's fascinating to think of where games like this will be in a decade or two.

Probably on the moon, being played by moon people while they drink moon tea.
I hope so, the problem with making proper moon tea in low gravity is one of man's greatest challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if we just wore some nice glasses with a camera input and video output, hooked them up to some small, powerful computer (cell phone), and played with what were in the real world marked cards, but what look to us as beautifully illustrated cards, rendered by our phones to our glasses?

Shuffling is the act of permuting the marks to different illustrations.

Scoring is the act of computing some simple function on a cluster of cards.

What are card symbols? Oh, you mean those obnoxious things that help the noobs and block the art and fade from the illustrations as players learn the game?

How does Improved Logistics work with the +military card I just settled? When I put them together close to the camera, a reminder FAQ from the game rules pops up, highlighting that I don't get the military bonus until after the settle phase finishes.

What should you have done on that interesting decision back on turn 6? Well, according to the monte carlo simulations ran on the phone given all your available knowledge at the time, that choice to develop rather than settle cost you 5% winning probability.

It's just a small bit of programming and some existing hardware.
http://www.vuzix.com/ar/products_wrap920ar.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But can we play it while wearing our jet-packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.