Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wow, great game! (and a couple of rules questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pearse
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally got this game and all I can say is WOW! The tension over each die roll is incredible and you really start to get a feel for each of your pilots as the game goes on.

I am currently at the end of day 2/3 on the short Iraq campaign. Only 3 VP's so far (none on Day 1, 2 in the Primary on day 2 and 1VP in the secondary - although Bear is now MIA after coming accross two MIG 29's and a 25!).

A couple of questions that I wasn't sure of:

1) Does the Event deck get shuffled after each mission/day or should it be left as is so that cards are not duplicated?

2) R&R says that it can be done after each mission for 9 SO. I am sure i'm right but just wanted to check that if I fly a secondary that this could then be done twice in the same day?

Think I am good with everything else. Forgot that ECM pods reduce evasion to 1 stress so hopefully that will help moving forwards as I almost always seem to be giving one to each plane.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R & R is at the end of day , Primary and Secondary is flown at the same time (in game time) so it is count as 1 day and you only have to do the end of day maintenance once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Gollum9 wrote:
Finally got this game and all I can say is WOW! The tension over each die roll is incredible and you really start to get a feel for each of your pilots as the game goes on.

I am currently at the end of day 2/3 on the short Iraq campaign. Only 3 VP's so far (none on Day 1, 2 in the Primary on day 2 and 1VP in the secondary - although Bear is now MIA after coming accross two MIG 29's and a 25!).

1) Does the Event deck get shuffled after each mission/day or should it be left as is so that cards are not duplicated?

2) R&R says that it can be done after each mission for 9 SO. I am sure i'm right but just wanted to check that if I fly a secondary that this could then be done twice in the same day?

Think I am good with everything else. Forgot that ECM pods reduce evasion to 1 stress so hopefully that will help moving forwards as I almost always seem to be giving one to each plane.

Thanks

d10-1 Do not shuffle the event deck at the end of the day. Only shuffle it if you run through it during your campaign.

d10-2 Go with what Denny said. You only get to apply Priority R&R once per day. After you've resolved your secondary mission you can choose to exercise the Priority R&R option during your maintenance phase between days.

Glad you're enjoying the game. It's a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pearse
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks both.

Just finished my first Campaign today. Due to not taking enough ATG I only achieved 6 out of the 8 hits I needed so had 2 turns of cannon fire to try to get the hits. Turn 4 I smissed with all 4 pilots, turn 5 Wolf rolled a 10 to hit which left Cowboy needing an 8+ to destroy. Finl roll of the Campaign and it was a 7. How close!!

Campaign ended up as dismal but I can see some of the mistakes I made. Looking forward to doing a longer campaign soon!

Awesome game, everyone who likes solitaire games should own a copy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Gollum9 wrote:

Thanks

d10-1 Do not shuffle the event deck at the end of the day. Only shuffle it if you run through it during your campaign.

d10-2 Go with what Denny said. You only get to apply Priority R&R once per day. After you've resolved your secondary mission you can choose to exercise the Priority R&R option during your maintenance phase between days.

Glad you're enjoying the game. It's a gem.

Hey guys, the rules clearly mention after every mission regarding R&R, no mention of at end of day or once per day... is there an errata or something about this ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wrong. blush I was going off memory & what made the most sense to me, not the rulebook. Guess both were wrong. Nice work Fred & Kevin.

I agree with Kevin, I'd have a hard time justifying 18 SO to reduce that much stress from my squadron. I think I'll stick with what I've been doing because it makes more sense for me.

But I'm glad you corrected me Fred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

Hey no problem, I was actually more concerned about missing a rule myself. I agree that most of the time its an expensive move to r&r more than once a day, but I did do it a couple times near the end of a campaign to avoid having my best assets going shaken in the middle of a mission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

Hey no problem, I was actually more concerned about missing a rule myself. I agree that most of the time its an expensive move to r&r more than once a day, but I did do it a couple times near the end of a campaign to avoid having my best assets going shaken in the middle of a mission...

I seem to remember reading a clarification/correction that Priority R&R is only usable once a day (not mission), at the end of the day (after all missions are completed). Since pilots for both Primary and Secondary missions have to be chosen at the same time (and it is assumed that the missions are simultaneous or at least overlapping), Priority R&R is applied to all pilots in your squad at the end of the day.

Anyway, that's how I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
i.a.m wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

I seem to remember reading a clarification/correction that Priority R&R is only usable once a day (not mission), at the end of the day (after all missions are completed). Since pilots for both Primary and Secondary missions have to be chosen at the same time (and it is assumed that the missions are simultaneous or at least overlapping), Priority R&R is applied to all pilots in your squad at the end of the day.

Judy,

Maybe I read the same phantom information elsewhere as well; maybe that's why I thought the way I did. It doesn't make any sense (to me) to be able to use the Priority R&R option twice in one day, so I won't play it as allowed in the rules. I may have to dig around to see if I can find the clarification/correction, if it does indeed exist.

However, I'm glad that other people pay close attention when I fail to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judy is right..

primary and secondary is flown at the same time , thats why you cant use any plane / pilot who have flown in primary mission to the secondary mission.

Priority RnR is at the end of day when both strike mission landed safely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Jude wrote:
i.a.m wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

Judy,

Maybe I read the same phantom information elsewhere as well; maybe that's why I thought the way I did. It doesn't make any sense (to me) to be able to use the Priority R&R option twice in one day, so I won't play it as allowed in the rules. I may have to dig around to see if I can find the clarification/correction, if it does indeed exist.

However, I'm glad that other people pay close attention when I fail to do so.

But, I can't find where I read that, either. So, unless we get an official ruling that "Mission" should have been "Day" -- I guess either way is valid. But it does seem to make much more sense to me that it's done at the end of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Judy is right..

primary and secondary is flown at the same time , thats why you cant use any plane / pilot who have flown in primary mission to the secondary mission.

Priority RnR is at the end of day when both strike mission landed safely

I hate to play the rule laywer but here is words for words how its written in the rulebook
Quote:

Once after every mission you may spend 9 SO Points to remove
2 Stress plus the Pilot’s Cool from every Pilot in your squadron.

Maybe Dan confirmed at some point that he meant at the end of day instead, can't find anything on the forum. Nowhere does it mention that it is once at the end of day in the rules.

I know it doesn't make "sense" to use R&R twice in the same day, but technically, if it's allowed, it means you could get your Ace pilot with 6 stress down to 2 stress on the same day he he flew the primary mission, which is how I used this before.

Who knows, maybe he got massaged twice in the same day and got really zen, who knows

Anyways, I'll email Dan about this, not to win my case, only because I hate playing a game wrong, and using R&R twice in the same day could make a pretty big difference in some scenarios such as explained above.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.