Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great player aids here on the Geek that are nicely done. What kind of software are people using to create these? A lot of them are offered via PDF - are people creating these from scratch in Acrobat? Are they creating in Photoshop and then saving as PDF? Are they using a publishing program of some sort?

Examples:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/6w7k1j099m/Lond...?
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5l0go7mjb1/WW_P...?
(Any of UniversalHead's player aids)

I'm not interested in using Word, Excel, etc. Although some of those player aids are useful, I don't fine them aesthetically pleasing. I'm definitely interested in using game artwork from the rules to make things look nice. I've got some Photoshop skills, so I'm confidant I could hack my way through this if I just knew what people were using.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InDesign
Illustrator
GIMP
Photoshop

Lots of programs to use, based on purpose, access and training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say indesign or quark would offer the most features to get it perfect. You could do it in any of the above suggestions tho.
The learning curve and price would be steep for someone that just wants to make this sort of thing...

If you have photoshop, you might already have illustrator or indesign.
Get a book and start learning. I suggest the "classroom in a book" series. I got my first job knowing no more than what was in one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I produced this Player Aid:

C&C: Napoleonics Graphical Player Aid

Using Apple's "Numbers" spreadsheet, which can double as an arbitrarily sized canvas for laying out graphical elements. Would have been doable in Keynote as well, but I used Numbers just because of the sheer size of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I don't have InDesign, and Inkscape looks a little daunting to me - I've never learned a vector-based graphics application.

On a whim, I started playing around with Microsoft Publisher. It took some getting used to, but I was able to do almost exactly what I wanted with it. It took about 2 hours to whip up a 2-sided rules summary / teaching aid for London. I've submitted it to the files section, and will post here for anyone who wants to see it.

Thanks again for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't think of publisher... It's a PC program so it's off my radar. But you're right it does pretty much the same thing as quark and indesign. It should work well for you and you can save out PDFS!
It's only around a hundred bucks too if someone else is looking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Ah, I didn't think of publisher... It's a PC program so it's off my radar. But you're right it does pretty much the same thing as quark and indesign. It should work well for you and you can save out PDFS!

I think that's the answer I was looking for - that a publishing program like Quark / MS Publisher was a good way to go. I need to check out InDesign.

Here's the PDF I wound up creating if anyone is interested in seeing it. (constructive criticism is welcome)
London dual-sided Player Aid and Teaching Reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.