The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I want to LOVE it but alas...! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello All,

Two years ago, when The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game was announced, I could not contain my enthusiasm. I was like a walking deadman for a few days, dreaming at the day when I will finally hold the core set in my hands. The waiting was painful, no doubt, so much that I remember passing through several burnout phases until I've read that the game will actually hit the stores in 24 hours.At one moment, I was feeling pretty sick with it. So much enthusiasm and anticipation can kill the passion, you know that too well. Alright, so I've bought and received the game next day. The artwork - brilliant, the rules, oh well, lets say they were legible, the theme was there, somehow. I've played a solo game immediately and I've enjoy it. Then I've played a few more. After three weeks I've called a few friends for a night of LOTR: LCG. We have enjoyed it. Somehow. Better said, we gave our best to enjoy it since we are all Tolkienites. Next, the expansion packs. More lovely artwork, some fun mechanics and twists. But... that's all.

As much as I am trying to love this game, I just cant. SOMETHING is missing. I'll be damn if I know what. I am trying to understand why I don't love it but alas, I just cant figure it out.

Perhaps because I am still under the spell of the Middle Earth Collectible Card Game from I.C.E.? How can any LOTR card game beat that one? I mean, why even try? The I.C.E. "version" is pretty much flawless. Add to that the mighty nostalgia factor maybe.... Well, yes.

Can anyone help me enjoy LOTR: LCG more? Probably not.

So, as you see, I am depressed. And now you are a part of it too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say flawless - parts of MECCG are unnecessarily complicated, and there is a huge learning curve. But I agree, MECCG is a very satisfying card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simple... no game is guaranteed to flip everyone's switches. What appeals to one person is a huge turnoff to others.

I wouldn't play the majority of games in the BGG top 50 if you paid me.

That doesn't make them bad games OR mean that I have bad taste in games. I just have preferences that aren't mainstream.

In fact you could even say that the top 50 are the games that offend fewer than most... the lowest common denominator

I've got LOTR LCG and I think it's just OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hawk
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I don't play the game solo, but I find the cooperative experience very rewarding and interesting seeing how the decks work together, and hearing player's comments and we play the various quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the game solo using 2 groups (as if it were a 2p game) cos it's a much richer experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I play the game solo using 2 groups (as if it were a 2p game) cos it's a much richer experience.

That's exactly how I play it too. Half the fun is building the decks and I like to do this part alone. Sifting through the available cards, deciding which heroes are the men/women for the job, etc. Then I basically play the game with my left hand being Player 1 and my right being Player 2 (As I suspect a lot of people do). To play with a friend, it would have to be someone who had his own copy and came to my place with his deck or at least a clear idea of how he wants to tackle the quest. I wouldn't want to just hand him a 50-card deck and tell him "There you go buddy, here's how we're gonna do it".

I had almost given up on the Core Set pretty much like the OP did but I put the adventure packs on my X-Mas list and got'em all through the Dead Marshes. I stormed through them in a few days and had a absolute blast. Now I'm hooked again and can't wait for Khazad-Dum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
I use to play ME CcG and lotr tcg Decipher. SO this lotr lcg is third Lotr card game for me for last 15 years. This game have + and minus but sure ME CCG is much better as Lotr game.But ME is daed already and this one is just started so the game can be better and better. Good aspect of this game you can play alone. For me is really important. Yes game is still fresh and have some stupid mistake but is possible to fix with time.

For example travel phase and location cards in ME ccg was much more interesting. Here travel phase is quite stupid and very big aspect of the game just doesn work properly. And if you are good players you will very quick build up the deck which can win all quests quite easy and you quickly get bored.
But still they try to make game better and more difficult (second cycle looks much more interesting then first one).
Anyway there is no any other Lotr card game so......... You have to play this one...... Happy new year and cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

I do exactly the same. And I've neglected many things I wanted to do over the Christmas/New Year break because the game has got me hooked. I know this sounds a bit lame, but you can play exactly the same scenario, with the same cards, and the same sphere decks, and have a completely different story unfold, just due to the order in which the cards reveal themselves.

This is probably true of all LCG/CCG games or indeed all card games, but the richness of Middle Earth, and the interraction of the inventive texts/actions/traits etc on the cards.

The sad thing is that My Call of Cthulhu card game is feeling unloved and gathers dust on the shelf... it seems a LOTR Card Game is not just for Christmas...! Happy 2012 everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I do exactly the same. And I've neglected many things I wanted to do over the Christmas/New Year break because the game has got me hooked. I know this sounds a bit lame, but you can play exactly the same scenario, with the same cards, and the same sphere decks, and have a completely different story unfold, just due to the order in which the cards reveal themselves.

This is probably true of all LCG/CCG games or indeed all card games, but the richness of Middle Earth, and the interraction of the inventive texts/actions/traits etc on the cards.

The sad thing is that My Call of Cthulhu card game is feeling unloved and gathers dust on the shelf... it seems a LOTR Card Game is not just for Christmas...! Happy 2012 everyone!

I had the same feeling, but it only lasted 5 months..., pity!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit: I miss something too.
Maybe that something is called addiction.

I like to play the game and build some decks around the adventures. But after a successfull adventure I have NO reason to play it again. My appetite for playing the same adventure again takes a few weeks or month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
I use to play ME CcG and lotr tcg Decipher. SO this lotr lcg is third Lotr card game for me for last 15 years. This game have + and minus but sure ME CCG is much better as Lotr game.But ME is daed

You can play MECCG solo (I still do & it's great!) so it can't completely die in the way some two player games might, once the majority of players lose interest.

Also you can use 2 of the preconstructed challenge decks (still easily found online) to introduce someone who doesn't have their own cards or like deckbuilding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
You can play MECCG solo (I still do & it's great!) so it can't completely die in the way some two player games might, once the majority of players lose interest.

Any hints or pointers for playng MECCG solo? It felt like a bit of a chore when I tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the "Solitaire rules" on p.41 of "The Wizards Companion", which includes a few variants.

Also there are some solitaire scenarios (with special rules) in the books. The one in the Wizards Companion is called "There and Back Again", but there are more in the other ICE publications, some of which are fun to play multiple times.

Essentially the main elements of the solitaire rules are:
sauronplay against a preconstructed hazard deck (you could make up several to pick from).
sauronThere is no opponent player's turn.
sauronDraw or discard to get a hand of 5 cards (not 8).
sauronDuring movement/ hazard phase draw normally for each company.
sauronDuring movement/hazard phase, for each company draw hazard cards = to 2 + twice number of hazard cards normally drawn for the site. Then play as many as you can within the hazard limit for the company - in the most disadvantageous way for your companies.
sauronThe object of the game is to accumulate as many MPs as you can by the time you exhaust your play deck for the second time

(there are various further clarifications and other suggested ways to play hazards and alternative ways to win)

There are solitaire rules for Nazgul in "The Lidless Eye Companion" on p49 + a Solitaire scenario "Sauron's Revenge"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a little off topic.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I've got the Wizard's Companion and I tried their solitaire and I also tried There and Back Again. It never really clicked with me. So many people love it, I can't fault the game itself. I think I'm stuck where I haven't mastered the rules and how to play it so it feels like a chore so I haven't played it enough to master the rules.

That's not quite right. I think I had the rules down; the problem was I hadn't grasped the strategic aspects so it just felt rather random. Again, this was entirely my fault. I might return to it one day. For now, I'm concentrating my limited gaming time on games that are designed to by played solo. I've had a blast with this game but my energy level is much lower now so I looked around for solo games that might take a little less energy to play. Death Angel arrived today and I've been itching to buy Ghost Stories but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Again, I thank you for the detailed reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.