Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 2» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The NO-Bicycles Blitzkrieg as it played out. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
December 8th and the Japanese assault on Malaya begins. Can the British forces change history?

The British forces starts with 4 reserve tokens while the Japanese starts with only 2.

"What if?" event
British rolls a Grenade and gets "Fortifications" in the Singapore scenario if the Japanes make it that far.
Japanese rolls an Infantry icon and that is "No Bicycles". British gets 2 additional sandbags in all scenarios except Ban Sadao and Kota Bharu.

Ban Sadao

Reserve roll
British rolls Inf, Inf and uses 2 tokens to get 2 reserves.
Japanese rolls Flag,Flag and gets 2 sandbags for free.

This is how it looked like at setup with the reserves added.

The Japanese bagan this invasion by advancing their flanking infantry into the jungles and then they launched a tank offensive up the road in the middle and gained the first medal of the campaign.

After that the Japanese Bicycles Blitzkrieg fizzled out due to flat tires, broken chains and cracked frames and the British shot every Japanes that dared show his face to pieces and when the British Elite Unit went Behind Enemy Lines it was all done and decided.

Scenario result
British win 5-2 and holds the Ban Sadao objective.

Medals/Objectives/Total points
British 5/1/6
Japanese 2/0/2

So thanks to the British performance it's time to stop the Japanese at
Kota Bharu

Victory Event Roll
British rolls Tank, Grenade, Flag
Japanese rolls Tank, Inf

Reserve roll
British rolls Inf, Grenade and uses 1 tokens to get 1 tank unit.
Japanese rolls Inf, Tank but takes no reserves.

This is how it looked like at setup VE rolls were resolved and reserves added.

Before the Japanese lands on the beaches of Kota Bharu a Mitsubishi Zero flies over the British lines and strafes the lone tank figure left after the other figure was lost to the VE roll.

The the Japanese landed first in the center but was stopped, then on their left and cleared that part before going after a British tank unit and then they swarmed up their own right flank.

But as they landed on the beaches and even sent a Landing Craft up the inlet, the British shot at the invaders and when they played Their Finest Hour they took out a Japanese unit in the Sungai Kelantan before sealing the deal by getting three hits on a 3 figure infantry unit.

Scenario result
British win 6-4 and denies the Japanese the airfield.

British 11/1/12
Japanese 6/0/6

So thanks to the British performance Percival announce that all demortalizing sandbags have to go in the next scenario and that negates the pro-British "No Bicycles" what if event. The two British wins also means that the Japanese won't reach Singapore this time, so the British "what if?" event woon't matter.

It's time to stop the Japanese from
Breaking the Jitra Line

Victory Event Roll
British rolls Inf, Inf, Grenade, Star
Japanese rolls Inf, Flag

Reserve roll
British rolls Tank, Star and uses it's last token to get 1 tank unit.
Japanese rolls Inf, Grenade and uses both tokens to get an infantry unit and a tank unit.

This is how it looked like at setup after British sandbags were removed, VE rolls resolved and reserves added.

The Japanese first went full tilt up the road, but even if they took out the Gurkhas they paid for their advance and had to switch focus to their right flank. Here they got in a few medals and took the lead. After a relatively quiet period the Japanese launched a full blown offense on their left flank and the British retreated as fast as they could, but the Japanese Banzai War Cry ability gave the Japanese an advantage they used to seal the deal and Break the Jitra Line with a shot at a British unit in the baseline minefield.

Scenario result
Japanese win 6-4 but the British holds the Jitra objective.

British 15/2/17
Japanese 12/0/12

So thanks to the Japanese performance they get a reserve token and the British need to fight at Bakri. And they will do so with two extra sandbags because of the "what if?" event roll.

It's time to stop the Japanese at
Bakri

Victory Event Roll
British rolls Inf, Inf, Inf, Tank
Japanese rolls Flag, Tank, Tank (Since British Tanks only have 2 figures this roll means that the Japanes have already elliminated a British tank unit)

Reserve roll
British rolls Inf, Tank and since they have no tokens left, they have no reserves to add.
Japanese rolls Star, Flag and although they have a token, the roll gave them no units. Only a sandbag.

This is how it looked like at setup after both sides added their sandbags and VE rolls were resolved.

Two Japanese units landed on the beaches near Batu Pahat on the first turn to assault and take the Batu Pahat objective.

The Japanese advanced on all flanks and took the Batu Pahat objective and gained ground on their left flank.
When the score was 4-3 to the Japanese they played Their Finest Hour and had a 1 figure infantry unit in Batu Pahat that attacked the full strength Britsih Elite unit adjacent. A great roll of Inf, Inf, Grenade, Tank reduced the unit to 1 figure, but that also meant that he could use the Stiff Upper Lip ability and take out the Japanese unit holding the objective.

Score now 4-3 in favour of the British.The British tried to take the win with a brave unit going Behind Enemy Lines but he failed miserably and a Japanese Close Assault card took a medal near Bakri and then the Japanese started to use their no-shots-missed-strategy and the British sandbagged unit in the center jungle got a proper shelling.

The Japanese no-shots-missed-strategy continued when Captain Miura drove his tank all the way beyond Pelandok to take on a British full strenght infantry unit.
His perfect roll seals the deal and ends the campaign.

Scenario result
Japanese win 6-4 but the British holds the Batu Pahat objective.

British 19/2/21
Japanese 18/0/18

So after a strong showing in the first two scenarios and denying the Japanes any objectives the British takes the win in this campaign and rewrites history this time around.

My thoughts: 4 good scenarios that are hard for the British. The British needs to start out with all guns blazing in this campaign to gain an advantage before the Japanes Banzai War Cry gets effective later on int the campaign. Although I would have liked to play the Singapore scenario as that looks very cool, the British performance stopped that.

Well done, Don, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up Stig.

I can see from the photos that the night rules were in effect too... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Nice write up Stig.

I can see from the photos that the night rules were in effect too... whistle

Thanks Steven.

BTW: For those that got confused by steven. Night Attack rules weren't in effect for these scenarios, it's just a poor old cellphone camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great writeup! Sounds like CB#2 has some great scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
It does... and our first Bicycle Blitzkrieg scenario went completely to the Japanese. (I'm playing the Brits, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this!

I hope this is okay (and if not, Stig, let me know and I will remove it), but I captured the page and brightened the images so I could follow the session more easily.

James

(Click the image for the full size.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Thank you for posting this!

I hope this is okay (and if not, Stig, let me know and I will remove it), but I captured the page and brightened the images so I could follow the session more easily.

James

(Click the image for the full size.)

No problem at all. Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice.

Does the book include relevant rules for the British army e.g. "stiff upper lip"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonCD wrote:
Very nice.

Does the book include relevant rules for the British army e.g. "stiff upper lip"?

The book wouldn't need to include the rule since it's available online in the different Player Aids and Card Compendium. The Stiff Upper Lip rule is used in some scenarios if I remember right, but I don't remember if the rules are explained in the CB book. I kind of don't think so...if every rule was explained, the poor book would be really thick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
JonCD wrote:
Very nice.

The book includes these rules as this campaign is playable without the Med.Theater if you use American figures as the British troops.

It has a page of rules relevant to this campaign that tells you how to play it without owning the Med. Theater.It has the rules needed from the Med.Theater rulebook.

Singapore scenario has 2 tiles from Med. Theater, but hose can also be easily switched for something else as they don't play a vital role during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up Stig. Loved the pictorial depiction with set-up photos and giving only the key outcomes so the Campaign can be followed clearly.

Also really like the photos including the dice rolls at key moments as that captures the ups and downs of Memoir nicely. Especially liked that image near the beginning of the tanks attacking and rolling 3 Grenades...very thematic.

I'm still playing through CB#1 but that Singapore Campaign looks sweet as. Can't wait for my copy to arrive from the States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Great write up Stig. Loved the pictorial depiction with set-up photos and giving only the key outcomes so the Campaign can be followed clearly.

Also really like the photos including the dice rolls at key moments as that captures the ups and downs of Memoir nicely. Especially liked that image near the beginning of the tanks attacking and rolling 3 Grenades...very thematic.

I'm still playing through CB#1 but that Singapore Campaign looks sweet as. Can't wait for my copy to arrive from the States.

Thank you Neil.

The key outcomes and important moments is what creates the narrative in a campaign, and as such is the only important part to notice.

The image with the 3 grenades was just done to record the first blood drawn during the campaign, and had it not been 3 grenades, I don't think I would have arranged them like I did. Turned out to be a cool image though.

Singapore campaign is great, and it has 5 more scenarios that I didn't get to play with my campaign path. But I intend to replay it more times, as I need to reach Singapore as the Japanese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Thank you Neil.

The key outcomes and important moments is what creates the narrative in a campaign, and as such is the only important part to notice.

The image with the 3 grenades was just done to record the first blood drawn during the campaign, and had it not been 3 grenades, I don't think I would have arranged them like I did. Turned out to be a cool image though.

Singapore campaign is great, and it has 5 more scenarios that I didn't get to play with my campaign path. But I intend to replay it more times, as I need to reach Singapore as the Japanese.

I actually like that about the Campaign format...that sometimes they will leaving you hungry because you didn't get to play some scenarios. It's great for the re-playability of the Campaigns I think and helps to set people goals for future plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking it over, it seems like this is a good value even for anyone who only owns the base game plus the Pacific expansion. The Island Hoppers grand campaign should keep anyone plenty busy -- I'd think playing it would buy enough time for someone to decide if they want to get the terrain pack. The Breakthrough and Air Aces campaign seem like nice bonuses for anyone who owns either relevant expansion.

Maybe an even better way of looking at the book is that its something that adds a ton of value to the Pacific expansion -- especially for someone who only owns the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.