Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've got a few games under my belt, and I wish to propose two house rules.

First: During the Exploration game, you will not be attacked by a ship of the same faction as the one you are using. You can still attack it if you want, or engage in diplomacy, but it will be optional. Other faction starships will still jump you.

That is mostly a flavor mechanism, because I can't see Enterprise blasting a Constellation out of the black. During the Borg scenario, they already won't attack you, and during the Klingon Civil War, all bets are off.

Second: I would recommend that for the Borg Scenario, always use all 30 Borg Cards. With only a few players, you are already disadvantaged by having less firepower, and I found the tight time limit to be too hard a burden to bear. Large groups get more time, and more firepower, but they risk having far more Borg Cards for each encounter, so I consider that an acceptable balance.

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for exploration, something could be done to clean up the encountered ships. Not sure exactly what it is, but maybe having the option to leave it out and attack or diplomacy it on a future turn (taking up one of the two available mission slots) could prevent the "first player with a ship wins" drawback.

As for the second rule, I haven't played enough of the Borg scenario to comment either way. I will mention that the one time I played it, there were only two players. We ran out of Borg cards but we were already at the bottom of the space deck, and had no chance of actually winning the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JgzMan wrote:
First: During the Exploration game, you will not be attacked by a ship of the same faction as the one you are using. You can still attack it if you want, or engage in diplomacy, but it will be optional. Other faction starships will still jump you.

That is mostly a flavor mechanism, because I can't see Enterprise blasting a Constellation out of the black. During the Borg scenario, they already won't attack you, and during the Klingon Civil War, all bets are off.

Sounds reasonable to me. There are already some liberties taken with the theme in this game (namely having a crew made up of characters from many species, many of which are enemies), so I don't think this is a rule I'd play, but it doesn't seem like it would imbalance the game.

JgzMan wrote:
Second: I would recommend that for the Borg Scenario, always use all 30 Borg Cards. With only a few players, you are already disadvantaged by having less firepower, and I found the tight time limit to be too hard a burden to bear. Large groups get more time, and more firepower, but they risk having far more Borg Cards for each encounter, so I consider that an acceptable balance.

I don't know if it's necessary to play all 30, but for 2 players I've found it makes the game much more winnable to play with 20, rather than the 15 the rulebook specifies. Considering this is a very difficult coop game for 2 players, I don't think having a bit more margin for error is unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
20 seems like a good compromise. And then the chance of seeing a five-card assimilation hand goes up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.