McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video - it is NOT a board game....my opinion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
VASSAL modules too?
(They have no A.I., so humans must make all the moves)

Again, my opinion only, if I sit down at my computer and play a game, it is not a board game. Period. When I played a bunch of Through the Ages game using Vassal against some people it was still a computer game to me. We were not sitting at a table playing a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jandome Schryvers
Belgium
Bilzen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with McDog on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Video game implementations belong on VGG, not on BGG. The programmers are working on better linkage between the sites in the UI redesign, but we should not be tryihg to shoehorn video games into a database structure designed around the elements of board games, especially when we have an associated site that is specificially structured for video games and electronic implementations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
SJBenoist wrote:
VASSAL modules too?
(They have no A.I., so humans must make all the moves)

Again, my opinion only, if I sit down at my computer and play a game, it is not a board game. Period. When I played a bunch of Through the Ages game using Vassal against some people it was still a computer game to me. We were not sitting at a table playing a board game.

I dunno. The difference for me is whether or not the game enforces the rules. I played dozens of games of RFTG against online opponents earlier this year, and I considered it a computer game. But when I sit down to play on Vassal (which I usually do with real-life friends while talking over skype during play) I consider it much the same as a board game. I still have to keep track of the rules, play the game properly, and move every bit, counter, and score tracker myself... The only difference is that my opponent isn't physically in the same room to me. I think for me, I'd treat such real-time Vassal plays as board game plays, but PBEM, or games where the computer enforces the rules as video game... but that's just me and my ill-conceived logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
What Tim said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digital versions of board games do NOT belong on Videogeek. They're really not videogames but digital version of board games.

I hate when people clog up our VGG forums with threads about digital board games - it's super annoying. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
When I sit down at a table and play Carcassone on the iPad with a group of people, in many ways it feels more like a board game than a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was a board game first, and just a digital implementation, then I say it fits on BGG.

The BIGGEST piece of proof for this is that the "iOS Board Games" blog is hosted on BOARDgamegeek, NOT videogamegeek.

That's on BGG, but is dedicated purely to digital versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Video game implementations belong on VGG, not on BGG. The programmers are working on better linkage between the sites in the UI redesign, but we should not be tryihg to shoehorn video games into a database structure designed around the elements of board games, especially when we have an associated site that is specificially structured for video games and electronic implementations.

Catan: Das Kartenspiel wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Digital versions of board games do NOT belong on Videogeek. They're really not videogames but digital version of board games.

I hate when people clog up our VGG forums with threads about digital board games - it's super annoying. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

shake

But hasn't that always occurred? Or don't you want all those versions of chess and poker that were around for home computers (and still around for modern PCs)?

IMO - they belong on VGG. They were released software titles.

Now if a computer implementation of chess or poker belongs on VGG, why shouldn't an implementation of a more modern game belong on VGG? Where do you draw the line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

shake

Just another quick thought. Looking at VGG there is a genre called "Classic Games" which has an alternate name of "Board Games".

The database organisation of VGG explicitly allows digital implementations of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for VGG. I know a few hardcore videogamers will complain, but if I play a game on my computer or iOS device, it is a video game not a boardgame. There are also rule/implimentation differences between the board and digital versions of some games (Elder Sign and Ghost Stories come to mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a contrary voice and vote for information about digital implementations of board games being here on BGG. (Ideally on both, really.)

I like to have both the physical board game and the digital board game; I find very useful discussions of how the two implementations of a given game differ between the media; I enjoy reviews of both forms of the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BaSL wrote:
skelebone wrote:

Catan: Das Kartenspiel wow

Added to the database eight years befpore the creation of VGG, at a time when submission rules were much more lax. This item should probably be moved to VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are three different factors at play here:

1 - Is it a true, exact, digital copy of a physical board game? For example, dominion on Isotropic.org is exactly the same as dominion IRL. No rules differences, just pure digital goodness. This kind of has two different aspects to it. Did you buy it? Do you own it? If I don't own Dominion, but play every day, do I add it to my collection? I feel either way, if purchased, it should be listed as an "edition" of a game. So I can denote it in my collection as such.

2 - Is it a digital "riff" on a board game? An example of this would be the Neuroshima Hex Puzzle app. Based on Neuroshima Hex, with no physical board game version of it. I believe this belongs on VGG, as a separate entity.

3 - A Purely digital card/board game. Everlands on the Android store would be a good example. It would make a very good board game, but it doesn't exist as such. So, again, VGG would be the place for this.

Magus And Princess wrote:

I mean I look at that and I see the future. I see a day when they can get the price of one of those under a grand or near a grand and many gamers picking them up. I can see people enjoying having the experience of a full table game with all the ease of use and benefits of the IOS games we currently play. So, why not have BGG adapt now? Why wait for the future to consume you when you can instead consume it?

Sadly, as much of a geek as I am, I don't know if that is a future I want to be in, if it's the "main choice" for such consumption.

I like ebooks. I also love physical books. Same with board games. I like "Hey! That's My Fish" on my phone, I prefer it face to face with my kids. It fills a nice gap, in those places and times we can't actually set up the game, but it doesn't replace it.

I also don't like the thought of my 'surface' crashing in the middle of a 4 hour game, and losing that time because of some glitch. My phone died two weeks ago, and I lost my progress in like 4 different books I was reading, as well as the time in loading everything onto a new device.

It is the same reason we don't have flying cars, because they would suck if they were our only means of transportation, and the navigation system crashes and we can't go anywhere. Or things go haywire while I'm flying 75 feet high, and at 200mph.

Technology is great. Sadly, Technology is unreliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

3 - A Purely digital card/board game. Everlands on the Android store would be a good example. It would make a very good board game, but it doesn't exist as such. So, again, VGG would be the place for this.

Just as a sidenote: I've been working on a analogue game heavily influenced by Everlands (I play the Mac version) called Cthulhu hex. I've added spells and terrain to mix. One of these days I'll put files up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.