Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interrupt Cards - Once Used Do You Discard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian 84
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

Could anyone please help with this question. When you play an interrupt card to stop an action against you, example removing a minion, does the person using the interrupt card then have to discard the interrupt card?

As an example me and my girlfriend were playing the other night and I tried to assassinate on of her minions but my girlfriend then played an interrupt card to stop the assassination. Does my girlfriend then have to put the interrupt card on the discard pile or can she keep the card to use again?

Thanks for any help or advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is discarded. this also leaves you a card down until the end of your next turn.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian 84
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cheers for that advice. I had a feeling that you would have to discard the card once played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if not you would only need to get one of them in the whole game and you coudn't be a target for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Well if not you would only need to get one of them in the whole game and you coudn't be a target for the rest of the game.

Well, not all interrupt cards defend against everything. For example, I believe it is Wallace Sonky that says it prevents "card text" from affecting you, which means assassination icons can be played with impunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't mean to be impudent, but that just seems like a silly question.

Is there really a rational reason to think it wouldn't be discarded? I guess, I see it along the lines of asking "If someone kills my minion, can I just put it somewhere else?" or "If I play a card that lets me get $5 from the bank, can I take $50?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

Is there really a rational reason to think it wouldn't be discarded? I guess, I see it along the lines of asking "If someone kills my minion, can I just put it somewhere else?" or "If I play a card that lets me get $5 from the bank, can I take $50?"

Actually, I can sort of see how someone might think that using an interrupt is not playing a card, depending on what other games you are used to. For example in Dominion, Reaction cards protect against attacks but are "revealed" and not "played" to do so - which means that they can be returned to your hand and used again.

However, in Ankh-Morpork, the rules on using player cards (on pages 4 and 5) are quite clear:
Ankh-Morpork Rules (p4) wrote:
When you play a card you may carry out some or all of the actions indicated.
Once you have finished with the card you place it next to the draw pile, face-up. This is the discard pile.

Ankh-Morpork Rules (p5) wrote:
Interrupt - A card with this symbol on can be played at any time, even if it is not your turn. Most interrupt cards protect you from something bad happening to you. You may play this card at any time, even if it is not your turn. For example, somebody might try to assassinate one of your minions and you could play the ‘Gaspode’ card to stop them.

The emphasis is mine, but it is quite clear to me that when you use an interrupt card you are playing it, and when you play a card you discard it as soon as it has finished doing whatever it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

Not to mention that most of us - probably especially me - have asked a question that they needed an answer to that made others roll their eyes in silly judgement. Heck, it took me ten minutes of looking in the Talisman rules to give up and decide that the Talisman symbol on the dice was nothing but the "one" since it was never addressed in the rules. Thank goodness, I didn't ask! (I do confess to searching the forum though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Muir
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

And even if we are all seasoned gamers that know it should be discarded after, it doesn't mean our girlfriends are and asking the experts here is a really good way to put an end to a fight that's probably been going on ever since that game the other night... We've all been there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.