ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Happy New Year everyone !

It's a brand new year, so time to shake off that hangover, sweep out the old, and get a new rulebook on your table. Perhaps Santa Grogs got that brand new, must-have game for you, or your loved ones shelled out for your Grail game. Get the shrinkwrap off, get that rulebook out, and start reading !

One of my loved ones defied the game embargo instigated by HG this Xmas, and bought me Napoleonic Battles: Austerlitz 1805, so that will be my first rulebook of the month. I'm sure it won't be my last...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1914: Twilight in the East
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval Battles, will take about an hour to read.

Fighting Wings quick start rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading Regimental Fire and Fury and will give it a try with PnP minis first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:

That is a great game my friend! It's more or less Up Front with army men. I have never played a game of DH that was not tense, fast paced and tons of fun. Enjoy. Let us know how the minis look. The guys I play with are crazier about painting their minis than you are about clipping counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:

Weird name for a game. What's that all about ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
kiraly wrote:

It's a miniatures game of squad level WWII combat. I've only played using 28mm figures, but I don't think the size matters (in that case). There are many similarities with Up Front in how the game models firepower, unit cohesion and morale.

Each model is one man, squads are generally broken down into two teams. The first rule book the Kiraly mentions has rules covering Germans and Russians. Exapnsions add other nations. Each weapon is modeled based mainly on how many dice it rolls. So the German MG 42 rolls 6 dice (with a "to hit" number based on range, terrain, light / dark), while the Russian equivalent MG rolls 5 dice. Even if no "hits" are scored, the fired at unit checks morale and could pin. Each weapon has a morale modifier as well (one of the aspects of DH I love). So when the Russian infantry hears the rat-a-tat-tat of an MG 42, they are more likely to duck and cover than if they only hear small arms fire coming their way. For each hit that is scored (say your roll 6 dice and need a 2 or less to hit - 10 sided dice) you then roll a kill number. Generally, all of the bullets have a similar TK number, 8 is standard as I recall. So if you roll 2 hits, you roll two dice. If you roll 8 or less on each, two models are killed. There is also a morale modifier for number of men killed in the attack. So an MG 42 that kills 1 man in the squad will cause them to check morale at a -4 or something.

Each "element" is allowed one activation per turn. So a squad generally has two elements - a smaller unit with the LMG and a unit of more men with rifles / SMGs. We played around with activations, I believe the game itself has each side alternate activations, but to save time we sometimes have each side take two at a time, etc. A vehicle is an element, an MG team is an element.

If you buy enough of the books, I think you can play with any vehicle that's ever had a model made of it. I found the game to do a pretty good job of integrating vehicles into combat at that scale (not always easy). There was one notable exception, the Americans have a half track with four MGs on it that I think of as a nuclear bomb. If those trucks were that effective in the actual war, we'd never have bothered building anything else.

There is hand to hand combat, OBA, air strikes, land mines, flame throwers, snipers, command ability, beserk / banzai rules. It is, in its full implementation, a game I find to be amazingly flexible, highly detailed without being too bogged down (it helps that we have a fellow who really knows the rules) and allows for an incredible range of game play. You can fight squad on squad or company on company easily. You can go bigger if you want. The fellow I know who's most invested in the game is very creative at coming up with interesting scenarios and difficult challenges.

We played a really, really fun campaign two years ago. There were six of us, three to side. Two supreme commanders, and then we each controlled our own platoon. We had a home made campaign map that we moved our platoons around, between battles we refitted based on our prestige after winning / losing, etc. A losing platoon didn't generally have the option to re-fit as effectively between turns, plus had to make attrition rolls, so the tactical battles we played out face to face were really, really important. After about six months, on side won the campaign by a single point, after holding out in a very difficult battle (two platoons vs. 1) on the last turn, or something like that.

It helps if the people you play with are really into their minis, and the guys I know are. We had Stugs, Pumas, FJ platoons, Japanese anti-tank infantry with pole mines or whatever those crazy bastards used when they ran up on tanks, Italian armored cars with 8 wheels and a better rear facing MG than frontal armament, flamethrower teams, Russian recon teams. Lots of fun, and maybe lots more information than you wanted.

Kiraly, if one side or the other has more elements (and thus more activations per turn), you'd do well to focus on how to either force the side with fewer to burn through them before you unfold the main element of your plan, or if you're on the other end, how to preserve them as long as possible.

Oh, and don't get caught in the open in a crossfire. In case you didn't know that already...

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
The guys I play with are crazier about painting their minis than you are about clipping counters.

Scary! laugh

Yes, it is.

One of them has cottage house on his property, dedicated to holding (some of) his 10,000 plus miniatures, along with all the terrain you could possibly imagine.

We once re-created the final battles of the Boxer Rebellion, where the rebels stormed some walled town or something that was manned by a rag tag assortment of Western troops, sympathizers and the like. The guy not only had the entire city available in terrain, he had models for every troop type we needed. Just because he had them around, you know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
kiraly wrote:

I'm guessing you're referring to "Coffin for Seven Brothers?"

That's the literal translation to a Russian nickname for lend-lease American M3 Lee tanks. Kinda tells you what they thought of those tanks on the Eastern Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I have Nations at War: White Star Rising, Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes, and Normandy '44 at the top of the increasingly large stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did read The Battle of Lepanto, but it didn't take long...

Next up I'll be rereading Hornet Leader II while I try to persuade myself to buy the ink to print it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the rules for The Battle for Normandy so I can play my brother on Vassal. Will be our first game together since Richthofen's War when we were kids.

I've waited 35+ years to snap that losing streak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Oleksy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1, World at War: The Untold Stories, Combat Commander: Europe, and Washington's War.

Edited: And Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: 1942 & Zitadelle: Duel for Kursk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584
Samurai
Yom Kippur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1916 Brusilov Offensive / Gorlice-Tarnow Breakthrough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Down in Flames: Aces High
Naval Battles
Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
This Wednesday my 2nd game of 1941, so bit of rereading.
In a week or 3 my 2nd game of Warmaster Ancients. So I'll need to have the rules down by then. (First game was without the burden of any knowledge :-)
Hope to read: Clash of Empires: August 1914, as I haven't played this yet and I'm curious about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! The Russian Front

Just learning the rules solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cataphract and Attila for the GBoH fix. I am also looking at Ancient Battles Deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! and Asia Engulfed.

I've really been jonesing for some strategic level WWII gaming recently. Probably going to start up a solo game of Asia Engulfed soon, and then graduate to Totaler Krieg after I finish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading through Mosby's Raiders that I recently got on Ebay. Doesn't look too complicated so hoping to get it on the table soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m reading the rulebook of Barbarossa: Crimea as I’m learning GMT East Front Series. There’s a lot to remember!

The Coming Storm is also on my table as I plan to play a solo game of the twin battles of Jena-Auestädt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants II and the Galicia playbook in preparation for a vassal pbem game against desaix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.