9 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » General

Subject: Revealing Hand question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Torres
Australia
flag msg tools
Just a quick question in regards to your hand...

Do you reveal your hand every turn?, do you only reveal your hand when going to the dungeon?.

Please can someone clarify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldsweat wrote:
Just a quick question in regards to your hand...

Do you reveal your hand every turn?, do you only reveal your hand when going to the dungeon?.

Please can someone clarify this.

Every turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sids Creations
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand (and play) it, you must reveal all cards even those you do not intend to play. It ensures that the action is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I need some clarification.

The first time my wife and I played, we revealed our hand of 6 cards then decided where we were going, dungeon or village. Which made it very easy to decide where to go. If you had a bad hand for the dungeon you obviously went into the village.

Then I read, or watched somewhere that you have to declare where you are going BEFORE you look at your 6 cards. This made much more sense and also made the game much harder as we were walking through it quickly before.

IF you knew you couldn't go into the dungeon and defeat a monster why would you ever choose to go there? And why are there penalties for losing to a monster?

Someone please help..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:
So I need some clarification.

The first time my wife and I played, we revealed our hand of 6 cards then decided where we were going, dungeon or village. Which made it very easy to decide where to go. If you had a bad hand for the dungeon you obviously went into the village.

Then I read, or watched somewhere that you have to declare where you are going BEFORE you look at your 6 cards. This made much more sense and also made the game much harder as we were walking through it quickly before.

IF you knew you couldn't go into the dungeon and defeat a monster why would you ever choose to go there? And why are there penalties for losing to a monster?

Someone please help..

You look at your hand BEFORE you decide what to do. You may want to lose to a monster to remove it from the Dungeon Hall, to get whatever its battle effects are, to prevent another player from killing it to get VP, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like an idiot and that I've created some super hard variant of the game, that drags it out and make it super hard.
Ha...
shake I get the official 'dumb dummy award'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

You look at your hand BEFORE you decide what to do. You may want to lose to a monster to remove it from the Dungeon Hall, to get whatever its battle effects are, to prevent another player from killing it to get VP, etc.

Or have a card that allows you to draw more card(s) and hope you'll get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
Or have a card that allows you to draw more card(s) and hope you'll get lucky.
I have an irresistible attraction for that type of "push your luck" thingie.
Of course, most of the time, I draw a useless card.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't think you should feel like an idiot, my wife and I played it both ways round (looking at your hand before and after you decide where to go) and decided you were definitely meant to decide before you looked at your cards, it seems to play much better that way and as you say, it takes any kind of suspense or excitement away from the dungeon battles if you've already worked out what's going to happen.

We also found looking at the cards first made the game much slower because you had to work out the complete implications of both routes before choosing which to go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.