Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom cards to replace dices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Hunter
Bahamas
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, you know that feeling if you roll 3 dices a couple of times and numbers/signs you want just do NOT show up? Try to change dices for cards (card deck) and it may work better for you.

I made a custom cards to replace dices. They're about 40x30mm. Deck for 1 player contain 6 copies of each card except 'soldier' card (there is 12 'soldier' cards to match dice probability).

Build deck from 36 cards, shuffle and put faced down. Instead of rolling 3 dices, you take 3 cards from deck and play symbols on them. Then you discard these cards and if there is no cards on deck, shuffle all 36 cards and recreate the card deck.

There should be PDF that I uploaded recently called 'Custom cards to replace dices' in Files section:
http://boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/10630
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course that means as the deck gets really small the firing player can be sure, or not, if he will hit. If the last two or three cards are grenades, it makes normally crazy shots worth the command effort. Conversely if the last two or three cards are stars, then all fires are going to miss. Is that a good thing? Card counting is more common than you might think. If you reshuffle before the deck runs out then the effect is the same as rolling dice.

The solution to rolling a few bad dice is to operate your forces so they will fire as many dice as possible in order to even out the odds. Just like the AI in Memoir'44 Online. The dice hit rates after a online battle usually show the dice rolls are pretty even. Most battles have 45 to 55 dice rolls.

I would suggest an alternative system: give each player a few reroll chances or mulligans. Say one or two per game. If the rerolling unit rolls a star it is out of ammo: removed from the board without giving a victory medal to the opponent.

Your cards might also be a good way to record dice hits in order to confirm or deny the whining player's complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
An easy fix to the increasing predictability of the cards is to include a reshuffle deck card that could be randomly inserted in the deck. Either shuffle it in normally or set the bottom 10 cards under it. Either way, it will make it so nothing is certain late in the deck's life. Also, I'd suggest increasing the deck another four cards per dice side to 60 (+1 for shuffle card). That's just to decrease the number of times you'll have to reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.