Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing, I realised i may be misinterpreting the Overwatch procedure.

I've been playing that only two single counters can fire (not stacks), that they can have moved &/or fired in the preceding turn (with no penalty for the Overwatch fire), and that they could make one and only one shot (each) against one (each) enemy unit which either moved or fired in their turn.

Now, I think I'm OK on the 2 soldiers, and that they can have moved/fired with no penalty. trouble is, I now doubt the one shot only... The rule says
Quote:
...may fire at an enemy unit that fires...
and then says...
Quote:
Additionally, a unit with an Overwatch marker may fire at a moving unit or stack...

That "Additionally" says that they can do both! So, do Overwatch units get two shots, one at each type of enemy unit (firing & moving)? Or can they fire at everything that fires &/or moves! Oh, and do they interrupt movement after one hex within sight, or must they wait until the move is finished? I assumed it interrupts, so the enemy doesn't get to cover...

Also, if a G type weapon is on OW, and returns fire on a firing enemy unit, does it fire only on the one unit or can it affect the whole stack? And if the latter, does it fire on the stack as presently stacked, or is the firing unit assumed to be the top unit? I've assumed only the one enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Wulf,
All things I got stuck on too. I ruled as follows:

1. Remove the OW counter after firing, so it's only one shot.
2. Only the unit (or stack) actually moving is affected.
3. OW fire can occur at any point during the move (including the start hex).

I think that's the same way you're doing it. I also don't allow OW fire into a friendly occupied hex for cases where a solider moves into close combat.

Actually when playing solo I don't bother with the OW counters but just limit myself to a maximum of any two (different) units taking OW shots during the enemy turn.

How do you find the game otherwise? I've had some good experimental games of squad leader using these as fast rules.
The only thing I really had to ditch were those unstoppable "3" rated soldiers. I change them to "2" with a +1 special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Mike. At least we agree. It's just about the only bit of the rulebook I have questions about - barring the bit about long range firing at vehicles, which seems to suggest only vehicle weapons can fire long range at vehicles. Considering there's only 8 pages of rules, that's enough!

Overall, I find the rules just fine, I'm usually too cautious and hide in the woods firing at the enemy forces hiding in the woods... Charging across open ground with a stack will lose me a couple of units, but should get a couple into CC. The 3's just need a good HMG to deal with them. One concern there is that I can see which enemy units are on OW & which it's safe to charge - your idea works better there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.