Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found another thread on this already but it was unclear to me, sorry. What happens exactly when I get this Team Upgrade? For example, I get Gryphon-ade on week one. Then, on week two I draft Griff Oberwald. Because Gryphon-ade treats each Star Player (in this case Griff) as if he had the Freebooter ability, I HAVE to return one player from my roster to the game box? So, I just lose that player???? That doesn't necessarily sound useful to me unless you are thinking that the player I return to the box (such as a useless lineman) is just one less card I have to cycle through in order to get to the juicy players.

OR, is the intent of Gryphon-ade supposed to be to just get your Team Roster a "free" shuffle even though you drafted a Star Player and NOT a Freebooter? Perhaps it does both? Someone please explain in detail how I execute this flippin card cause I must be stupid!!

Edit: Grammar for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't have my copy with me and away from my spreadsheet, what is the exact wording on the card again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebooters let you weed out your weak players. So treating regular stars as freebooters means you keep getting to discard those weak players at the expense of not having the player for sure in the next game. I also don't have my rules or cards handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
msg tools
Quote:
Gryphon-ade
Scoreboard Phase: Treat each Star Player you draft as if that player had the FREEBOOTER ability: (After drafting this player, return 1 player from your roster to the game box. Then shuffle your roster to create a new team deck.)

And yes, I always assumed the point was to be able to flush out the linemen and such even when you're getting Star Players who are typically better/stronger than the freebooters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, you can lose a guy and reshuffle the deck. Discarding is optional, shuffling is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Yeah, you can lose a guy and reshuffle the deck. Discarding is optional, shuffling is not.

Discarding is optional? With all Freebooters, or just with the Gryphon-ade effect? Either way, I never got that impression.

Under "Reveal Improvement Pile" (page 15):

"If a manager drafts a Star Player with the FREEBOOTER ability, the manager searches his roster and chooses one player to return to the game box."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Speed_Racer wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Discarding is optional? With all Freebooters, or just with the Gryphon-ade effect? Either way, I never got that impression.

"If a manager drafts a Star Player with the FREEBOOTER ability, the manager searches his roster and chooses one player to return to the game box."

All freebooters. It should be addressed as such in the faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Speed_Racer wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

All freebooters. It should be addressed as such in the faq.

Oh, wow. Very good to know. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speed Racer
msg tools
Of course NOW I find under "List of Named Abilities" (on page 17) (which I never paid much attention to, since they're all explained on every card on which they appear) that Freebooter is quite elaborated upon, and is the only place that says:

" . . . you may remove any one Player card . . . "

I'm not sure what I would have made of this contradiction before now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.