Popular Tags: [View All]
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone from BGG planning on attending Gamicon Phi (Iowa City, IA) this February? I plan on attending and running a few events, but was just curious if anyone from this site hits that con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to go for my first time this year. Traveling from MN., but my brother lives in Cedar Rapids. Looking forward to the Con.

The library looks impressive and I'm curious what kinds of games will be in the auction. Can anyone bring games to sell?

What events are you running?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also check with the Eastern Iowa, USA guild. I've actually never been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to make it this year, and have attended since roughly 2006.

I think the board gaming portion of it can be hit-or-miss, depending on your tastes. I'll probably end up in some pick-up games of some kind, rather than finding everything I want on the schedule.

The auction covers a wide range of items, and any con attendee can submit items to be sold at auction. There are a couple pics of last year's auction table on the con's official website, if you're interested. Who knows what might show up this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:

I think the board gaming portion of it can be hit-or-miss, depending on your tastes. I'll probably end up in some pick-up games of some kind, rather than finding everything I want on the schedule.

The auction covers a wide range of items, and any con attendee can submit items to be sold at auction. There are a couple pics of last year's auction table on the con's official website, if you're interested. Who knows what might show up this year?

Do you remember about what time the auction starts (and how long it lasts)? The con site just states mid-morning. I don't want to miss it or have it conflict with any events I might sign up for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
JosefK wrote:

Do you remember about what time the auction starts (and how long it lasts)? The con site just states mid-morning. I don't want to miss it or have it conflict with any events I might sign up for.

They may announce the time when they publish the events schedule, closer to the date of the con. I think last year's was actually around 1 PM.

Edit: Also, I'd allow a couple hours for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I'm going to try to make this con. It will be my first time attending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that anyone can bring games for the auction. I'd ask about the details when you check in (timing, etc.)

I am an indie game developer, and will be running a few games that I have developed (Dog Collector, Global Control, Mall Frenzy, and Out of this Galaxy)

The previous year, I saw a number of RPG and SJ Games played. I would also expect a number of Rio Grande Games since they are one of the guests this year.

I can't wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a GamiCon microbadge? I like to buy midcrobadges (if possible) of any con I attend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone checked their Con calendar after registering for events? All my slots are blank after registering. The site stated registered after I signed up for them, just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any requests for games to play during Gamicon? I'm never sure what to pack.

I'm not sure my collection on here is completely up to date, and I may be able to borrow other games from members of my group. Just throw some ideas out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few days left to wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost here. I hope I have everything ready to roll and packed up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe it is on the Gamicon site (because of a late entry), but John from Prolific Games will be there running demos of Flapjacks & Sasquatches, Hirelings (soon to be released on Kickstarter) and Tricked out Hero (I believe a Gen Con release date is the target).

Prolific Games is from Minnesota and John is a great guy. Stop by their table to say hi. **I'm not affiliated with Prolific Games, just have gotten to know the guys the past few years after meeting them at Con of the North here in MN.**

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tentative packing list:

Dominion + some expansions
Penny Arcade Deckbuilding Game
Eaten by Zombies!
Eminent Domain
Glory to Rome
Innovation + expansion
Pandemic + On the Brink expansion
Ticket to Ride + Asia expansion
Tetris Link
Spot It!
Le Havre
Age of Steam
Titan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All packed to head to Gamicon tomorrow! I'll be there Friday night and all day Saturday with a couple of friends. If anyone is interested in economic games (Brass, Key Market, Imperial, Le Havre) that is most likely what we will be playing most of the time.

edit: I'm also tossing in some lighter wargames (Julius Caesar, 1812: Invasion of Canada, A Few Acres of Snow) if there happens to be any interest in some wargames this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, I would love to try Key Market sometime this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
Daniel, I would love to try Key Market sometime this weekend.

I'll make sure we bring it along. It would be a pleasure to teach you at some point this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time at Gamicon and plan to attend next year. I did have a question though, is pre-registering for events necessary or does it even work?

The events my brother and I pre-registered for did not seem to be acknowledged on the site (online event schedule not populated, though the events were marked as registered after selecting them). After seeing all the event sign-up sheets by the registration table it seems it's just as easy to sign up the morning(s) when you arrive.

Maybe we missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak about the pre-registration part, but it certainly does seem easiest just to sign up for those events that you want to jump in on right at the convention.

It was great seeing a number of people at the convention and getting to play a number of games with everyone there.

Jaime.
Fractal Evolution Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time as well and look forward to my convention, XenoCon. April 21-22, 2012 in Davenport, IA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this is in March this year. My in-laws live in Iowa City so I was thinking of timing a family trip this year to attend the con (we live in Portland, OR). I was trying to get a sense of the flavor of games from the site but it's hard to tell (looks like heavy card game play). I'm a fan of the meatier Euros. Would it be worth bringing a few of my own? Do you think they'll get playtime with pugs? Are most games played through scheduled events or is it relatively easy to to catch walk-ons?

I love to try new games but I hate following a schedule. These things often don't work well together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually there are quite a few people in attendance who play the various Pathfinder games. Then there is the mixture of people playing either scheduled games, or pickup games. Last year, by the scheduled game sign-up sheets, there were blanks which allowed people to write down games/times for previously unscheduled games, which I thought was helpful in drumming up players.

As for a "pure" sit-down and pick up walk-byes for a heavy euro, you could have a little more difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVal wrote:
Usually there are quite a few people in attendance who play the various Pathfinder games. Then there is the mixture of people playing either scheduled games, or pickup games. Last year, by the scheduled game sign-up sheets, there were blanks which allowed people to write down games/times for previously unscheduled games, which I thought was helpful in drumming up players.

As for a "pure" sit-down and pick up walk-byes for a heavy euro, you could have a little more difficulty.

Thanks for the info. I'll bring a few of my favorites and see how it goes. Worst case scenario is I get stuck playing the solo version of Loyang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the game auction is great! I bought some nice games last year, as well as sell some of mine that weren't being played.

I'm hoping to make the trip from Minnesota again. Do any of you make it to Con of the North in Saint Paul, MN. in February?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.