Subject: Fear Athena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a five player game on new year's day. Myself, Phil, Matt, Ben and Phaedra (my daughter). Matt was new to the game and Ben had only played a few times. Everyone was an experienced gamer.

The game got off to a very cautious start. Small moves, taking empty islands, a few cornucopias and small buildings built. Matt built some fleets and captured a number of trade spots using the Sylph. I shooed all fleets away from my third island with the appropriate monster, and used the harpy twice in a turn (thanks Chimera) to take a soldier from both Phil and Matt who were posturing against each other on two islands commanding a trade spot. Matt built an armada between his and Phil's island, then Phil dropped the Kraken on them.

Meantime Ben was playing low profile until he suddenly built a line of fleets that took in my two main islands and one of Phaedras. In response I looked to see what I could do. I had reinforced my three islands and it seemed time to pick on someone. Phaedra didn't seem to be doing much, just sitting on a couple of islands, building some small buildings and only one soldier on each.

I asked Phaedra "what are you up to?" and she gave me a funny look which I misinterpreted as embarrassment for having started a strategy that had obviously failed. I decided to break Ben's line of fleets and then position to capture one of Phaedra's easy target islands, while Phil and Matt continued their stand off.

I charged in with three fleets and broke Ben's line, giving myself access to Phaedra's island. After a round of heavy bidding on Zeus in top position, and Ares and Poseidon in 2nd and 3rd, Phaedra had ended up with an easy bid on Athena, consolation prize I thought, and it was now her turn. She bought a university, giving her a metropolis, and the new philosopher gave her a second metropolis, and no one could do anything about it!

Game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.