7 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: NPC Movement is Confusing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why seazones have multiple directions (e.g. SW and SE out of the same sea zone).

For a concrete example of the confusion, there is currently a Dutch NPC Naval Ship in San Juan. It has been directed by the event card to move S.

But there are two directions out of San Juan. SE to Basse-Terre, and SW to the Carribean Sea.

Both are "S" as far as I can tell. Do you just pick one? If so, who gets to pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says in the rules someplace that if you can't move the direction on the card, the ship moves clockwise. Not entirely sure we're correct, but we play it if the card says south and you only have SE or SW to choose from then the ship moves clockwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if the direction on the card is not in the seazone, you go to the next clockwise direction from that direction. So if you can't move S, check SW. Then W, NW, N... and so on until you get to one that can be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
Yes, if the direction on the card is not in the seazone, you go to the next clockwise direction from that direction. So if you can't move S, check SW. Then W, NW, N... and so on until you get to one that can be used.

What if the direction is W, but the only options are SE & SW ... if you go by the clockwise method you would go NW, N, NE, E, and go SE which seems wrong with a SW available. I thought it should go to the SW since it at least had was a type of west movement. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution is simple though.

The rule for clockwise movement is on page 13 of the rule book in italics.

I play as was mentioned previously,

If a NPC vessel must move west and a WESTERLY direction (NW/SW) is available... it is moved in one of the two Westerly directions, even though going by the rule as written it would move SE, it makes no sense to us.

The only time i would go clock wise is in those strange situations where there is no indicator in the sea zone(Curacao). If you draw a card that says move south for an NPC there, there is no SW,S,SE direction. THUS the NPC is moved clockwise as a default option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild_Imagination wrote:
shacky22 wrote:

What if the direction is W, but the only options are SE & SW ... if you go by the clockwise method you would go NW, N, NE, E, and go SE which seems wrong with a SW available. I thought it should go to the SW since it at least had was a type of west movement. Thoughts?
You still follow the clockwise rule, so if the NPC was in Nassau and was supposed to go West, it would head to Tortuga unless there was a hunt priority for someone in Havana. Likewise, a ship in Trinidad that was directed to go East would head to Caracas instead of Bridgetown.

It may seem a little non-intuitive in those two fringe cases, but it keeps things consistent with all of the other spaces on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Kyle on this one. I don't see any need to houserule this. Follow the rules, they say go southeast, you go southeast.

Moving occasionally by "what feels right" seems like it would probably unbalance things, ships moving to one side of the board, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.