The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunt for Gollum Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

If you draw a CLUE card as a Shadow Effect does it just go to the Encounter discard pile? That is how I played it since it has no Shadow Effect written on it.

On Quest card 2B "A New Terror Abroad" there is a FORCED which reads at the beginning of Quest the 1st player looks at the top 2 cards of the Encounter deck, reveals them and adds 1 to the Staging Area and discard the other one.

Do you do this EVERYTIME you quest or just on the first quest when card 2B is revealed or until you have you completed Quest card 2B? Is this in ADDITION to the 1 Encounter card you draw for each player to place in the Staging Area.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

If you draw a CLUE card as a Shadow Effect does it just go to the Encounter discard pile?
Yes. You played it correctly.

Quote:
On Quest card 2B "A New Terror Abroad" there is a FORCED which reads at the beginning of Quest the 1st player looks at the top 2 cards of the Encounter deck, reveals them and adds 1 to the Staging Area and discard the other one.

Do you do this EVERYTIME you quest or just on the first quest when card 2B is revealed or until you have you completed Quest card 2B?
Every time.

Quote:
Is this in ADDITION to the 1 Encounter card you draw for each player to place in the Staging Area.
Yes, this is in addition to the encounter card(s) you normally put in the staging area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks BitJam. I am currently at 47 Threat, have 12 Threat worth of Locations in the Staging Area with a maximum of 10 Willpowere if I quest ALL my Heros and Allies and I just drew only my 2nd CLUE card of the game. The first one was that Shadow Effect I asked about earlier.

Here is my current question: I drew the CLUE card as one of the 2 FORCED Encounter Cards from Quest 2B. I kept it and discarded the other card which was another Location with 3 Threat. I then drew another Encounter Card to GUARD the Clue which was a Treachery card. I simply had to take a Resource away from each Hero. Since the Guard card was a Treachery and I completed it, is the CLUE card free to take from the Staging Area when and IF I ever successfully quest again before I hit 50 Threat?

This game will be over as soon as I get back to the table since my Active Location is the one tht makes you add an ADDITIONAL Threat at the end of each round. Sorry for all the silly questions I just want to be sure I am playing correctly.

Should there be this MANY Locations in THFG Adventure Pack or did I add in the wrong Encounter cards?shake

YES, I just lost, my first lost ever by hitting 50 on the Threat tracker. I used the Leadership deck with 3 Gandalfs and the Leadership cards that came in the first 3 Adventure Packs. No problem with monsters at all but even with 2 Dundain Quest cards and a Dundain Mark on Aragorn and 3 Dundain Warnings and another Dundain Mark spread out on the other 2 Heroes, it wasnt enough. Time to try some deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
... is the CLUE card free to take from the Staging Area when and IF I ever successfully quest again before I hit 50 Threat?

Yes.

Quote:
Should there be this MANY Locations in THFG Adventure Pack or did I add in the wrong Encounter cards?shake

The Hunt for Gollum is location heavy. I don't think you did anything wrong. It is quite a challenge if you don't have Spirit cards in your deck. A few Northern Trackers could really help out with those locations.

Quote:
Time to try some deck building.

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Here is my current question: I drew the CLUE card as one of the 2 FORCED Encounter Cards from Quest 2B. I kept it and discarded the other card which was another Location with 3 Threat. I then drew another Encounter Card to GUARD the Clue which was a Treachery card. I simply had to take a Resource away from each Hero. Since the Guard card was a Treachery and I completed it, is the CLUE card free to take from the Staging Area when and IF I ever successfully quest again before I hit 50 Threat?

Yes, you can collect it according to the rules on the card (I believe it's whenever you quest successfully) since it's no longer guarded.

Omahavice wrote:

THFG has a lot of locations. The best way to deal with this quest is to play Spirit and use the Northern Trackers to deal with locations. They make the quest rather trivial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing about losing a game is that it just makes me want to play it AGAIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
When it says to add a card to the staging area, can the added card be a treachery? I only ask because technically these never really get added to the staging area, and rather resolve and get discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
When it says to add a card to the staging area, can the added card be a treachery? I only ask because technically these never really get added to the staging area, and rather resolve and get discarded.

You can add either (in 2B) or any of the three in 1B, doesn't matter what the card type is. Treachery can be nice since threat doesn't increase (unless the card effect does something).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
slaqr wrote:

You can add either (in 2B) or any of the three in 1B, doesn't matter what the card type is. Treachery can be nice since threat doesn't increase (unless the card effect does something).

That is what I thought, thanks much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.