Popular Tags: [View All]
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not a new user, I've actually been around for a while. But I've only just decided to really log my plays. Previously I had just logged a single play for every game that I'd played (as I found them, because there are many missing from my childhood). And I had a brief period where I tried to log plays but didn't do a good job.

So now that I'm trying it again, I'm wondering if anyone has a good system for their logging?

Specifically, what do you do about expansions?
- Do you log the play for the expansion used? So I would log a solitaire RftG game under TGS?
- Do you log the play for both the base and the expansion(s), thus artificially increasing your play count? (This would be huge if I end up buying more Dominion expansions.)
- Do you log the expansion if you only used part of it? Pandemic OTB for example includes large changes (challenges) as well as small changes (new roles), when is that significantly different than the base game?
- Do you log multiple plays under the same entry?
- Do you put details as comments, or follow the pre-made structure?

etc etc etc

It seems like the logging system leaves a fair amount to be desired, but also allows for a fair amount of detail.
Has anyone developed a "perfect" method for their madness that they'd like to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides what you've already mentioned, the only other thing I've heard of is logging expansion plays with a 0.1 or some other decimal to reduce artificially increasing your plays. Not a great solution either, but what can you do. Seems like there has been a lot of discussion over the years about improving/replacing the play logging system, but nothing has happened yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never log expansion plays, only the main game. If it is important to know if an expansion was involved, I note that in the textbox. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to log the expansions as well, just to see what I have played. I don't tend to log a promo card I got that I use in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
I'd say that you should consider what you want to get out of your logged games. I normally only log the first play of an expansion, just so that i have a record of when it hit the table. Other than that I log the main game and note in the comments which parts of the expansions I may have used.

My exception to this rule is my Command and Colors Ancients collection, they always get logged per expansion.

Why not have a look at how other users log their plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How you log plays is totally dependent on what you want to learn from your data.

Personally, I want to know how often I have played with various games and expansions. I want to know that I have used a particular expansion x number of times. I also want to know that I have played a game y number of times.

The total number of plays is not important to me so it doesn't matter to me how BGG or other users aggregates my play data with others.

Given the above, I log a game and every expansion that was used while I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
tathta wrote:
Has anyone developed a "perfect" method for their madness that they'd like to share?

No, not 'perfect', but it suits my needs. I only want to know how often a particular box was put on the table, and that means that in the case of standard expansions both the base game as well as expansion entry are logged. If the expansion was played standalone, then the base game doesn't get an entry. If only part of the expansion was used due to its modularity, then the expansion is still logged.

I don't log number of players, game length, location of play, and end state; I also don't write down comments for a particular play. If a game was so good that it provoked a change of opinion, then I'll update my main comment.

Pros
— very much KISS.

Cons
— needs a little tinkering if you want to know the play count for games rather than expansions (but doesn't require more than a few mouseclicks, and it's not like people are comparing play statistics to figure out the Greatest Gamer of the Year);
— an expansion must have an entry here (which for the games I play is nearly always the case);
— is somewhat unsatisfactory in cases where an expansion is nothing but eyecandy (but this is extremely rare to begin with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone

The consistent suggestion is to log the information that I want to get out of it, which is solid advice.

I had decided to stop logging expansions, but then I changed my mind because I'd rather know how often an expansion is played instead of caring about my total number of games played. And I've decided that any use of the expansion (even adding a single role to Pandemic) justifies logging that expansion. This way I can eventually create a price per play measure, which is something I've enjoyed reading about. (Although for many of my games, it will be rough because I have a large amount of time without logging plays at all.)

@speltor: I tried logging the expansions at 0.1, but it just showed up as a zero. It's a neat idea though

I wish that the logging system was customized for each game. For example, when logging a Friday play, I'd like to not the difficulty level, the step that I lost at (I'm very bad at this game) and then my final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Donks
Netherlands
Sprang-Capelle
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only register the main board- or cardgame. Never any expansions I have used. I do rank expansions though. The reason for not logging my played expansions is that the number of actually played games is correct that way. If I would register a game I played with 4 expansions, it would seem as if I played 5 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
i want to know how often I play a game, how many total plays, and who won. I've also taken it a step further and logged the scores as well, usually with the winning player's name first in the list to quickly scan a win percentage.

i use two tools to help me do this.

1. My wife printed a personal notepad for score keeping with my avatar
-I'd mark game, date, name of players, and scores either once or twice per sheet then sit down after a few weeks of play to enter them in one swoop.

2. Once I got my new smart phone I use the BGG app to log the plays right then as they happen.

I often enjoy hitting my quick bar link to "games played" to judge how successful I've been at getting to a game table and I use friendless' extended stats to pin point games that are being neglected that I've rated highly in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tathta wrote:
@speltor: I tried logging the expansions at 0.1, but it just showed up as a zero. It's a neat idea though

Apologies if this information was not correct, it's not a method that I use myself but have just read about it.

Just did a test recording a play using 0.01 and it did not show up at all on my collection or the game page listing. However, the play did show up when sorting plays in my profile -> played -> by date/calendar/by game/thumbnails, and maybe elsewhere. Guessing the numeric quantity display for plays must round the number down to the nearest whole number, but they are still there- check your plays for the date you tried it out. Depending on what you require in your logging this may or may not work for you.

I don't bother with expansion logging myself usually, but as others have suggested I might add a note if it was important/significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laser Wolf
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one minds if I add a question here.

When logging plays, I've always wondered what the Rating field in the Add New Player window is for. I've searched the Forums a few times but haven't found any explanation.

If any of you know, can you fill me in?
Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do people log iOS version plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Steffen
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omnicollective wrote:

When logging plays, I've always wondered what the Rating field in the Add New Player window is for. [...]

You'll find the answer here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/337304/more-on-logging-plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laser Wolf
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steffenb wrote:
omnicollective wrote:

When logging plays, I've always wondered what the Rating field in the Add New Player window is for. [...]

You'll find the answer here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/337304/more-on-logging-plays...

Thanks for the link, steffenb. I was hoping that the individual rating would turn out to be something more useful than that. I can't imagine every player rating every game we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.